Deaf Street Vendors Neat Asoke - Nana

Grawburg

Walking down Suk. the last few days for 1st time and I noticed that many of the vendors were deaf. Is there a deaf community or deaf services in the area? I've actually never run into a deaf person in Thailand before and suddenly I meet lots of them. Is there something for the deaf around there?

There was an article about them in the Bangkok Post several years ago. Between 30 and 40 years ago, Thailand had a very high rate of German Measles resulting in many babies being born deaf. According to the article, the preponderance of deaf vendors was not a result of any organized effort, It just kind of evolved from one group of vendors to others via family and social connections.

I know the woman who sells T-shirts between Suk. Soi's 10 & 12 is 2nd generation in that location and her daughter whom I'm not sure whether is deaf or not also works with her.

Always seemed normal to me that lots of deaf people would work in tourist areas. Most street vendors can't speak English, they can't speak, but they have a big calculator to display prices and they are adept at unspoken communication.

u cant be serious ... about 99% of all ventors between shukumvit 3 and 11 are deaf .. and this since at least 10 years.

You cant be serious, I have been watching this scam on Suk for almost 20 years.

Next time, just pick up something and make as if to walk away without paying, you will soon hear them talking,

deaf and dumb my ass.

There was an article about them in the Bangkok Post several years ago. Between 30 and 40 years ago, Thailand had a very high rate of German Measles resulting in many babies being born deaf. According to the article, the preponderance of deaf vendors was not a result of any organized effort, It just kind of evolved from one group of vendors to others via family and social connections.

I know the woman who sells T-shirts between Suk. Soi's 10 & 12 is 2nd generation in that location and her daughter whom I'm not sure whether is deaf or not also works with her.

`Thank you for the info. Years ago, I saw a large group of them sitting around MBK Food Court chatting in sign language. It was quite a sight since all of them were "talking" in silence. I then wonder why the Court allowed them all day cornering at least 20 seats. Now I don't see them and wonder whether they have now descended on Suk.

I have been wondering about those deaf vendors for a couple of years. I asked some thai friends if they could give me an explanation without success.

To give myself and answer I thought that some charity association had given jobs to hearing unpaired persons. I don't think the German measle pandemic of 30 years ago it is an explanation as some of those vendors are in their 20s.

I happened to "talk" to the youngest of those T-shirts ladies vendors between soy 10 and 12. She "asked" me somethings with very simple signs of her hand (not the proper sign language of course) she would then read my lips as I talked english and then she would sign the translation some other deaf vendors that gathered around us. I found that amazing but I did not dare to ask her personal information

yes between 3 and 11 most of the vendors are deaf or hard of hearing, you can usually see them most of the time communicating to one and other in sign.

..so between 2301 and 1459 all is magically restored..

Edited by rodcourt49
  • Like 1

It's definitely not a scam....at least not these guys because I've seen them on back streets playing chess and dominos signing to each other. The measals thing is interesting, but, as someone pointed out, it doesn't explain the gys in their 20's.

u cant be serious ... about 99% of all ventors between shukumvit 3 and 11 are deaf .. and this since at least 10 years.

You cant be serious, I have been watching this scam on Suk for almost 20 years.

Next time, just pick up something and make as if to walk away without paying, you will soon hear them talking,

deaf and dumb my ass.

:)

About eleven years ago I was buying some street trinkets from a young deaf girl who had her back to the busy traffic on Sukhumvit.In the

middle of our transaction the sound of screeching tires,followed by the crushing sound of two vehicles impacting within thirty feet of us

restored her hearing in an instant. BUSTED!

I am an Audiologist working in Thailand, so I kind of have a "feel" of what is going on in the deaf community.

Thailand, as a nation is surprisingly advanced when it comes to dealing with the hearing impaired.

First, hearing aids are offered for free every 3 years as a benefit for those employed with the govt. I think that benefit stretches out to family members also.

Cochlear implants, that cost on average 30+K USD (1+Million Baht) are also offered as a govt benefit.

Thailand has residential schools for the deaf, that are often times tucked away in some beautiful remote locations in the mountains or a long beach front property, with scenic views much like a resort would have.

That said, what does concern me, from what I can tell, there is little to no employment opportunities for the hearing impaired/deaf after graduation. What I would like to see is a cottage industry wrapped around the deaf society, offering them employment, areas to live, essentially creating a deaf community.

We see this in the states, where the deaf "corner the market" in certain areas of employment. (ie printing industry)

Where Thailand lacks dismally is in the area of training Audiologists. Thailand has about 30 practicing audiologist in the nation. They had this same number 30 years back.

About eleven years ago I was buying some street trinkets from a young deaf girl who had her back to the busy traffic on Sukhumvit.In the

middle of our transaction the sound of screeching tires,followed by the crushing sound of two vehicles impacting within thirty feet of us

Busted, as in how? Deaf clinically, is a hearing loss above 90dB. Hearing impairment has several degrees such as slight, moderate, severe and profound. Profound is usually considered "Deaf."

A pre-lingual hearing loss of around 50-60dB, would essentially place a person in the world of being functionally deaf. There are many reasons for this, one of which is that on average we speak at around 50-55dB. Thus, a person with a hearing loss around such levels would hear essentially no part of the conversation. But any sounds above 60dB, such as a car impact, screeching tires, train, a plane at take off, etc etc.... the person would hear those sounds (environmental sounds).

Most deaf folk have more highly attuned "other" senses (as blind people have). She would be reacting to the out-of-ordinary vibration the crash would deliver (even on Suk)!

It's definitely not a scam....at least not these guys because I've seen them on back streets playing chess and dominos signing to each other. The measals thing is interesting, but, as someone pointed out, it doesn't explain the gys in their 20's.

On another note, it is very common to have hearing and deaf siblings. This is just an assumption, but their may be hearing peddlers mixed in with the deaf peddlers, that are actually family members of them. So they sign just as any deaf can, but also hear. Thais culturally, have very tight family bonds, and it would make some since for a hearing family member to be near by to help out in times of need.

Your assumption that she was faking her deafness is probably way off the mark. There are different levels of deafness and some can only hear over certain Db levels (loudness) and then there is the issue of between what pitch/frequency levels a suffer can recognise sound. (measured in Hertz (Hz))

With screeching car wheels and then a thud, there is the likelyhood that the level of noise and pitch in this instance fell within the parameters of what could be recognised as sound to the girl. Also if everyone around her suddenly diverts their eyes to the accident as it is happening, it is only natural that she would pick this up and turn around in an instant.

There is a world of difference being able to make out screaming tyres and not hearing a thing when someone is talking to you with usual background noise. If you saw a blind person with a guidedog and you flashed an extremely bright light in their face and they reacted, would that mean that they were faking it too?

Not everything in this world is black & whate, think hard before you make assumptions and accusations that can be downright hurtful....

Deaf Thai people are simply the best street sellers in the world!!

You will find a similar deaf street vendor community in Pattaya and Phuket....

I am deaf myself and I have many deaf friends working as street vendors, as this is actually the only job they can get at a decent salary.

Many of the street vendors are selfemployed but thos who do not have the means to satrt up by themselves are employed by hearing owners of the shops.

In Phuket the hearing shop keepers are all very keen employing deaf vendors.

One of my best friends started as a street vendor some 15 years ago....today he owns 1 hotel in Patong, 1 restaurant and 1 villa in Patong and 4 cars. I take my hat off for him :)

god i used to loathe these people when i first rented a serviced room in that vicinity. they would grab you, get in your way, etc. they are terribly unkempt, aggressive, smelly. really the bottom dwellers of society. i would expect that one day they will crawl into the sewer and form some kind of underground matrix army.

but then again, perhaps they fit in with that area quite well. :)

Edited by TheItaliann

Yea, they were born with a devastating impairment, one that often times crushes an individual's ability to ever achieve anything of real worth, what is your excuse?

I think the stat is the average deaf American earns 50% less than poverty level. I can only expect those stats to be worse here in Thailand.

`Thank you for the info.

Yeah, same here. I've always noticed them when I happen to be in the area, but never knew the how and why.

Did you consider that perhaps she was just HARD of hearing and found it difficult and perhaps a loud accident might actually make it through, and I am sure if you don't hear anything a loud noise making it in is even louder to those who are hard of hearing. Hardly busted but I bet you have told that story many times to friends thinking how clever you are.

Yea, they were born with a devastating impairment, one that often times crushes an individual's ability to ever achieve anything of real worth, what is your excuse?

I think the stat is the average deaf American earns 50% less than poverty level. I can only expect those stats to be worse here in Thailand.

generally its not the fact they are deaf thats the thing thats holding them back. its the piss poor attitude of most people and society. If they are given the education options of hearing people then they are in the same position to succed and are quiet able to do so. they have the same smarts as all of us. just cant hear.

its the ignorant that are the problem like the poster saying deaf and dumb. its deaf and mute <snip>. your the type that hold them back in society.

Edited by soundman
Removed flame.