Retirement Visa

I am currently on a Retirement Visa extension and have to show 800,000 baht I would like to know if it is possible to change this Visa to a Marriage Visa then I would only need 400,000 in the bank.I have been married for 4 years.My extension runs out in December and I am from the UK.

Yes you can but it takes more paperwork and jump through more hoops before its approved after 30 days.

Remember you can also use combo method of bank account and pension check that equals 800k per year for retirement extension.

When applying for a Non O based on your marriage you’ll have to show the amount of 400,000 baht being on your account for three months.

They’ll issue a temporary visa and tell you to come back after about four to six weeks.

They’ll check if the said amount is still on your bank account. If so, no problems at all. The same procedure every year, including the 90 days registration for Aliens, called TM 47.

Good luck.

LB - I think these newly opened provincial offices have differing views on this.

I tried and failed miserably - of sorts!

My problem being a little unique as I have always had retirement extensions, but this year I have had to dip into my 800K Baht fund, so decided to go the combination income route.

Trouble being the income letter is stuck at Wireless Road!! due to the closure of Brit Embassy.

I am a little peeved with them as I sent it off in what I thought was a reasonable time.

After reading many posts on here about what was required for marriage extension I spent two days preparing docs/taking the photo's/maps/Bank letters etc and I thought I just had about everything covered.

At the immigration office I tried to explain that I wished to change extension types due to not being able to show sufficient funds.

At first this did not go down to well, "This is an important document, you must have" was the fairly blunt response.

Well I politely insisted that I have all documentation for marriage extension.

What then followed was about a 10 minute full on, one way conversation between the Imm Off and my wife.

The outcome being that his budget was restricted and they could not afford go round the countryside checking if foreigners were married to Thai women!!.

He wanted me to go back to our small town (220 km away) and come back with the headman to verify our situation, ie being married and living in his Moobaan etc.

The Immigration Officer then proceeded to check my documentation and bank book detail's, and he then quite calmly said "I think I can help you!!"

Result!, - a 60 day extension based on visiting Thai wife and then come back with Embassy proof of income letter and re-apply for another retirement extension.

Though I did not get the change of extension I am quite happy with the outcome.

On the journey back I chatted to the wife about what about taking the headman for a day out to the Imm Office,.

"He not happy" being the reply.

I will be going to do the same change of O extension next week. will have wife with me, pictures, marriage certificate, house papers, etc. Phuket Immigration has always been reasonable (by the book but not oddball interpretations), so will see what happens.

Time in account can vary - first applications should always be two months but others can be two or three depending on the office (Police Order 777/2551 only says two months).

The under review seems to be 30 days or less under current policy. You are issued an extension of stay for that period.

I have applied for Marriage Extensions at 3 different offices and never had a problem. Always had polite and helpful service.

On one occasion I did change from Retirement to Marriage with no problems.

It is always a requirement for your Wife to be interviewed.

At my very first application we had to take a Thai friend along to be interviewed and sign a statement. He was very happy to do so for a bottle of whiskey.

In those days the under consideration period went on for months. Had to go back every 30 days for about 6 months. A lot easier now.

If you do not have the financial requirements for Retirement they have no choice but to issue based on Marriage.

I am currently on a Retirement Visa extension and have to show 800,000 baht I would like to know if it is possible to change this Visa to a Marriage Visa then I would only need 400,000 in the bank.I have been married for 4 years.My extension runs out in December and I am from the UK.

I am currently in the process of doing this, at the moment under my second 30 day consideration period (sorry paperwork not done yet)

If I were to do it again I would fly over to Kuala Lumpar and get a 1 year multiple entry non immigrant o visa (lasts for 15 months but border run every 90 days) to visit wife. You only need to show 100kbht in bank account. Take a letter in Thai from the wife asking them to give you a visa plus usual paperwork. Flight only 3000bht each way (or less).

You can get a 1 year non-imm O in KL? I thought that was not possible.

And flights at > bht 3,000? I was just looking online and the cheapest I found was US$ 214 1-way. Who has the bht 3,000 flight?

Thanks.

I am currently in the process of doing this, at the moment under my second 30 day consideration period (sorry paperwork not done yet)

If I were to do it again I would fly over to Kuala Lumpar and get a 1 year multiple entry non immigrant o visa (lasts for 15 months but border run every 90 days) to visit wife. You only need to show 100kbht in bank account. Take a letter in Thai from the wife asking them to give you a visa plus usual paperwork. Flight only 3000bht each way (or less).

Non Imm O Visa Multi Entry can be got in KL . Proof of marriage and at least 100,000 Baht in the bank needed.

Actually I just booked flights from BKK to KL with Air Asia for 975 Baht return.

Admittedly for next March in the recent free seats promotion.

With Air Asia you have to plan ahead.

Wow! Can you do that online?

Actually I just booked flights from BKK to KL with Air Asia for 975 Baht return.

But a non Imm O to visit a friend cannot, is that right?

Non Imm O Visa Multi Entry can be got in KL . Proof of marriage and at least 100,000 Baht in the bank needed.

Wow! Can you do that online?

The promotion is now finished but they pop up now and again.

No you cannot get a Non Imm O Visa in KL for visiting friends.

What URL, please.

let me look online bookings

air asia from CM to KL 3400bht inc tomorrow morning, 2900 on June 3rd, 2000bht June 4th, etc.

air asia BKK to KL 1500bht June 8th, June 2nd, etc .......