Ok Curfew Lifted In Pattaya - But What Area Does "pattaya" Cover?

Mobi

I can't for the life of me imagine why the previous Pattaya thread on the curfew was closed.

The subject is still relevant to all those living in Pattaya and the surrounding areas.

The government announced a lifting of the curfew in Pattaya late yesterdsay evening. It was obviously far too late for most places to change their closing plans.

The bar I was in at 8 p.m. was about to close and they didn't believe me when I told them the curfew had been lifted.

Indeed they may have been correct, as I was in a bar off Theprasit Road, Jomtien, and who knows whether the relaxation of the curfew actually covered this area?

I wonder how many people ventured out last night and how many places opened down-town?

Did the relaxation of the curfew cover areas such as Na Klua, Jomtien, and the whole area east of Sukhumvit, (Darkside), as much of that area is not part of Pattaya City.

Does anyone know the answers to these points and have any practical knowledge of what happened and what may happen tonight?

At least hope we may be allowed to discuss these matters this without fear of being punished....

:):D

Edited by Mobi

OH My, The Curfew has been lifted in all of pattaya, and yes that Does include jomtien + Theprasit Road :) ,Allot of people were still unaware that the ban was lifted last Night.

Everything will be back to Normal Today. I don't think this subject is Longer Relevent.

Edited by SUPERIOR

Is this a help?

From Wikipedia:

The city of Pattaya is a special municipal area which covers the whole tambon Nong Prue (Nongprue) and Na Kluea (Naklua) and parts of Huai Yai and Nong Pla Lai. Bang Lamung township which forms the northern border of Pattaya covers parts of the tambon Bang Lamung (Banglamung), Nong Pla Lai and Takhian Tia. Bang Sali is on the southern border of Pattaya.

"Greater Pattaya" occupies most of the coastline of Banglamung (one of the eleven districts that comprise Chonburi Province). It is divided into a larger northern section which spans the areas to the east of Naklua Beach (the most northern beach) and Pattaya Beach (the main beach) plus the Buddha Hill headland (immediately south of Pattaya Beach), and a smaller southern section covering the area to the east of Jomtien Beach (which lies directly south of Buddha Hill).

Is this a help?

From Wikipedia:

The city of Pattaya is a special municipal area which covers the whole tambon Nong Prue (Nongprue) and Na Kluea (Naklua) and parts of Huai Yai and Nong Pla Lai. Bang Lamung township which forms the northern border of Pattaya covers parts of the tambon Bang Lamung (Banglamung), Nong Pla Lai and Takhian Tia. Bang Sali is on the southern border of Pattaya.

"Greater Pattaya" occupies most of the coastline of Banglamung (one of the eleven districts that comprise Chonburi Province). It is divided into a larger northern section which spans the areas to the east of Naklua Beach (the most northern beach) and Pattaya Beach (the main beach) plus the Buddha Hill headland (immediately south of Pattaya Beach), and a smaller southern section covering the area to the east of Jomtien Beach (which lies directly south of Buddha Hill).

Most informative - thank you :)

So has the Curfew been lifted in Pattaya City or in "Greater Pattaya"?

Have the BIB access to Wikipedia, and do they care?

In particular, what is happening on the Darkside? It's been so dark these past few days it's been difficult to find...

Does Howard have the inside track on which areas will be allowed to open?

OH My, The Curfew has been lifted in all of pattaya, and yes that Does include jomtien + Theprasit Road :) ,Allot of people were still unaware that the ban was lifted last Night.

Everything will be back to Normal Today. I don't think this subject is Longer Relevent.

So if it is no longer relevant for you then fine, but for many of us there are still many unanswered questions.

Maybe you could kindly advise which areas of Greater Pattaya will be open and which will be closed?

There is a bit more to Pattaya than Walking Street, Jomtien and nearby beer bars .

Thank you so much. :D

Couldn't agree more with Mobi.

For instance, the businesses on Soi Siam, around the reservoir etc. can they remain open or not?

Parts of these areas are in Nongprue and some are in Pong, so it is quite natural to want to understand where the extent of this relaxation start and end.

Some of us do wish to abide my the law, but may unwittingly break it.

Gentlemen, the curfew was imposed on 23 provinces, Pattaya falls under that of Chonburi - as does Naklua Banglamung etc and yes even the darkside ( I believe)

Not that it was necessarily enforced out of town but the curfew should cover the whole of the Chonburi area.

I could well be wrong about this, but this is what I believe to be true.

Gentlemen, the curfew was imposed on 23 provinces, Pattaya falls under that of Chonburi - as does Naklua Banglamung etc and yes even the darkside ( I believe)

Not that it was necessarily enforced out of town but the curfew should cover the whole of the Chonburi area.

I could well be wrong about this, but this is what I believe to be true.

Yes the curfew covers the whole of Chonburi province, but EXCLUDES Pattaya by special announcement.

The question is: How far does the EXCLUSION extend?

No one seems to have a definitive answer, and after all this time I doubt whether anyone ever will. It's probably been left to the local BIB to enforce as they see fit.

Last night I was out at a bar in the Darkside until around 11.30 p.m and then was driven back home to Jomtien via Siam Country club Road, Sukhumvit and Theprasit.

There was a fair sprinkling of traffic on the Darkside which became heavier as we reached the local road by the rail line.

From thereon in there was a heavy police presence at all road junctions, and they were stopping all motorcycles and some other vehicles - mainly songtaows and pickups.

We breezed through every block without being stopped.

So I am none the wiser :)

I hear the curfew has been extended until at least tonight, so I may do some more research :D

The announcement was made that the curfew has been extended for two more nights, Sunday & Monday between the hours 23:00 hrs - 04:00 hrs.

So does this include Pattaya again, or is the special permission still in place for here?

It is getting confusing!!!!

Edited by Mattd

The announcement was made that the curfew has been extended for two more nights, Sunday & Monday between the hours 23:00 hrs - 04:00 hrs.

So does this include Pattaya again, or is the special permission still in place for here?

It is getting confusing!!!!

Thank you for asking. Originally, they said they had lifted the curfew here but they never said it was infinite life. Can someone clarify? Don't say it is common sense, the curfew is either on or off here, which is it?

Edited by Jingthing

The Curfew has been Extended in Bangkok,The Curfew in pattaya is over :)
I wouldn't really trust your authority as the curfew has been extended in Bangkok and OTHER provinces! However I just checked the major paper we aren't allowed to quote, and their front page headline says specifically this extension is LIFTED for Pattaya, so yes we are in the clear here on the curfew. Edited by Jingthing

The new extension has nothing to do with Pattaya which i tried to tell You. But now you know.

Well done. I don't know you and you also incorrectly suggested the extension was about Bangkok only which was incorrect, reducing your credibility. I do know that major newspaper. Cheers.

I never stated it was in Bangkok only, I said the curfew has been extended in Bangkok and the Curfew in Pattaya is over.So i was not incorrect.

But Again, well done in finding out i am Happy that you are now sure that the curfew in Pattaya is over :)

I read that as an implication that it was Bangkok ONLY so therefore not Pattaya. We are finished here. Have a good evening tonight. Please don't reply, imagine how boring this is to readers.

Edited by Jingthing

Clearly some people will have questions.. For example just how far into the Darkside can you live for it to still be counted as Pattaya. What if you live in Bang Saray, or further along the coast, etc.

It's interesting to read that police was actively stopping vehicles. Up in Chiang Mai they never bothered with that, and the curfew is largely ignored. (though bars do go about it a bit more quietly than usual)

I think it'd be good advise to just bring your passport, and perhaps prepare a plausible reason why you'd need to be on the road at 2am. :) (Not that hard)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

20 odd posts and still no clear answer!

Calling Mr Howard Miller - surely this would be a 'useful' addition to the Pattaya curfew piece your running, i would call on the 'other' members of the local Pattaya press but none of them have enough 'trousers' to post on here unlike Howard!

Before this turns into a 'slagging match' of Mr Millers news service please understand i'm asking Mr Miller as he should have the appropriate connections with the local powers (BIB etc) to give a clear answer!

Here's waiting for a clear answer and not hearsay!

TIA

Ok here it is.

Pattaya extends as far as the end of Jomtien, over the darkside to the Rayong Highway and to the end of Naklua.

Bang Saray/Satathip and Laem Chabang/Siracha are the next and come under their own jurisdiction.

So this is the general definition as far as the night life areas (and therefore the nightlife curfew).

As for the roadblocks or checks. These will be in force for a while at definite points and also roving points as long as the government deems them necessary. As you can now see these are not tied to the curfew as the curfew itself has now been lifted in the Pattaya area, but the checks have not.

This is a quick generalisation for those that wish to know--hope it helps.

Thank you so much, Thainet for the clarification.

I am assuming that you have obtained this information from the relevant authorities.

I have no desire to be awkward on this, but for all normal purposes Pattaya City does not extend on the Darkside to the Rayong Highway.

Much of the Darkside is outside of Pattaya City limits and is subject to different police authorities - most of it under Banglamung as opposed to Pattaya and as you drive up Nern Plub Wan there is a sign which defines the city limits.

This has also been evidenced by the Darkside having different opening and closing hours to Pattaya city, and a different police authority who enforces the laws in these areas.

They even have local elections on different dates to Pattaya.

So I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but I would be grateful if you could kindly confirm the source of the information in your post.

Thanks.

:)

Thank you so much, Thainet for the clarification.

I am assuming that you have obtained this information from the relevant authorities.

I have no desire to be awkward on this, but for all normal purposes Pattaya City does not extend on the Darkside to the Rayong Highway.

Much of the Darkside is outside of Pattaya City limits and is subject to different police authorities - most of it under Banglamung as opposed to Pattaya and as you drive up Nern Plub Wan there is a sign which defines the city limits.

This has also been evidenced by the Darkside having different opening and closing hours to Pattaya city, and a different police authority who enforces the laws in these areas.

They even have local elections on different dates to Pattaya.

So I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but I would be grateful if you could kindly confirm the source of the information in your post.

Thanks.

:)

As I said this info is a generalisation for the explicit purposes of the nightlife curfew---not politics, city limits or other jurisdication stuff.

So yes it was obtained explicitly for the above purposes from reliable Thai sources.

Anyway it is only info, take it or not, or go with your own ideas, but I think you'll find if you drive around tonight that I'm right and that the blocks and checks will be closer to town, as dictated from BKK not from City Hall.

Well, for many reasons including this nutty curfew, I cut my vacation short and stayed only two weeks. Hotel price and quality offerings were crap. Hotels had some "specials" but were clearly reserving or holding back the better rooms and not discounting them. Such lousy business practices and the way the owners were treating customers got me out of town fast. That heat wave was a bit much too the week of May 10th.

Was very upset that there was no clear cut information on the curfew. Could not find any official posting online or locally that could be understood. that first night, May 19 I think that Wednesday the curfew just happened while I was sitting in the bar. Good thing I had not gone to get my Soapie massage first. I doubt they would have refunded my money had we gotten ten minutes into the session.

Might be a while before I make it back for visit number 11.

Well, for many reasons including this nutty curfew, I cut my vacation short and stayed only two weeks. Hotel price and quality offerings were crap. Hotels had some "specials" but were clearly reserving or holding back the better rooms and not discounting them. Such lousy business practices and the way the owners were treating customers got me out of town fast. That heat wave was a bit much too the week of May 10th.

Was very upset that there was no clear cut information on the curfew. Could not find any official posting online or locally that could be understood. that first night, May 19 I think that Wednesday the curfew just happened while I was sitting in the bar. Good thing I had not gone to get my Soapie massage first. I doubt they would have refunded my money had we gotten ten minutes into the session.

Might be a while before I make it back for visit number 11.

Unfortunately for you, on the nights of May 19 and 20, your drinking in a (girlie) bar was not the most important item on the government's agenda. As far as I know, this was the first curfew since 1992. Hardly a regular occurance.