Pregnant Cat (s?!) And Moving Soon

Hi all,

I'm in a tricky situation with my cats. They are about 9 months old (rescued from the street at about 2 months old) and are sisters.

I was planning to wait until 12 months to have them spayed, and thought this would be fine as they are always confined to the apartment (ample room for the 2).

It seems one night, one of the cats got out, and returned the next morning pregnant (this was about 8 weeks ago now, so she is ready to pop any day soon). OK, far from ideal, but I can deal with it, I suppose.

Suddenly, her sister looks pregnant too! I have no idea how this could have happened as she has never 'escaped' to my knowledge, and the transformation seems very sudden, whereas with her sister it was slow and obvious. She suddenly looks bigger and her nipples have become more pronounced.

Wishful thinking that it's some kind of sympathetic pregnancy symptom syndrome she is showing for her sister? Or did some tom break in and have his wicked way?

To make it all worse, we are (also quite suddenly) due to move out of the city and into the country over the next 4-5 weeks.

I have read up on the net as much as I can about caring for newborns and moving with cats, just wondered if anyone has any advice, as I am beginning to feel at a loss as what is best to do.

I don't really have any specific questions, but if anyone has any suggestions as to how I could best approach this situation I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Take the second cat to a vet and see if she is pregnant, if not, get her spayed immediately.

When you do move you must keep them locked in the house for quite some time, most people say two weeks I think.

Move momma cat last, if possible, keep them in the car and make sure her new home is ready and no escape is available when you arrive.

false pregnancies do happen in dogs and cats, could be, the end result could be that the second cat goes thru the pregnancy complete with milk but when she has to give birth, the 'pregnancy' just goes away although she might also 'mother' her sister' kittens/and or socks and dolls...

other option is xray to see if she is pregnant (or ultrasound if available)...

and wait and see.... never underestimate the power of animals in heat to get to eachother...

:)