What Thai's Really Feel

tangoll

I would like to share two messages about recent problems. The writer is Thai-Chinese in origin, but 100% Thai in outlook, lives in Korat, has own business, and also owns a condo in Bangkok where her two daughters live. Highly educated, speaks/writes English as you can see below (without alteration from me), and is learning Mandarin Chinese now. I had asked her opinion as to whether it is now safe to travel to Bangkok.

------Beginning of 1st message

You can book your ticket in advance. Right now, no one know the

> real situation. During these two days, it is on curfew. We will have

> to see in next week. The school in Bangkok will start and open on this

> coming Monday. BTS and MRT continue to close to repair the damage. I

> read the slight news that the red might gather again soon. It is so

> ridiculous that gov. has to pay the money for those red to go back home

> for bus fare. They lined up and get money. Gov. had to feed them

> and offered free bus , free train to go back even up to Chiangmai. I

> saw from TV, when they got down from train, they raised their red

> symbol, flag and whatever to show they were still proud and returned

> home as hero. People got mad at the red and Abhisit is blamed for

> treating the red leaders in such a good living at the house beside

> the Hua Hin beach. They are supposed to be in jail. This question must

> be cleared by gov. The gov. said this is under the duty of

> police!!!!!! Oh! this is Thailand. Things turn upside down and we

> people suffer. Personally, I don't blamed Taksin totally. It is what

> kind of Thai people is. King Chulalongkorn had reduced slaves from

> Thailand over one hundred yeas ago but still Thai people is bounded to

> be slaves by instinct forever. Slaved of money that Taksin threw upon

> them. Taksin is just a too smart person to know how to make use

> of country's money. He cheats and earns power from that money.

>

> I hope you shall be able to come as schedule. If anything goes

> wrong, I certainly will inform you. I also plan to go to Bangkok in

> next two days to join the funeral of my friend's father. I don't want

> to go at all but this is necessary. Unless there is arson

> and shooting then I will have to stay home only.

-------2nd message

> The time you will be in Bangkok next month, I will see if I can be there too.

I don't feel like going at all during this moment. Yesterday (my daughter) asked

my permission to go out doing public cleaning with her friends. I strongly refuse

because I am not sure all the mob area is clean of the bomb or not.

Beside, the place is too dirty. (My daughter) might possibly bring disease back home.

The red created the shit and we have to clean, what a world!!!!!!

Good idea to watch first before booking. From now on you will be able to fly Bkk-Hkg

with a very good and cheap cost. No tourists want to visit Thailand now.

In front of CTW Central World, (My brother) told me there are words attaching there

"This is how they repay us". It is because while the red put their stage in front of CTW,

CTW offered them toilets and underground parking place to use. It is so ungrateful to

arson and stole CTW.

---------End of message (I deleted names of individuals)

Some posters here will undoubtedly dismiss her comments as being typical of the Thai-Chinese that the red shirts are protesting about, but I think she views the situation in a way much clearer than most Thais, and certainly with greater clarity than any of the non-Thais who usually post here. She had consented to my posting her comments here.

Edited by tangoll

"Some posters here will undoubtedly dismiss her comments as being typical of the Thai-Chinese that the red shirts are protesting about..."

Yet Thaksin is one of those Thai-Chinese. His father's side of the family is of Chinese origins (back to his great or great-great grandfather, I don't recall exactly). Interesting how blind some people can be, to protest against the elite yet worship one and be led by several of them. Oh, the hypocrisy.

It's unfortunate how easily these people are used as tools by outcast elites. False promises given to them by their leaders that they will fight to the death, yet in the face of a military crackdown surrendered or abandoned their followers and went into hiding, afraid to come out and take their rightful punishment for their crimes. I hope they all learned something from this, particularly about who they follow with blind faith.

why did u even post this? the speaker adds nothing at all interesting or new to the discussion. <deleted> does her ethnicity have to do with anything? thaksin is also Thai Chinese or did u not know that?

Chunky1' date='2010-05-23 12:54:38' post='3634943']

why did u even post this? the speaker adds nothing at all interesting or new to the discussion. <deleted> does her ethnicity have to do with anything? thaksin is also Thai Chinese or did u not know that?

A poster adds light from a different angle/prospective , from a non farang , feelings from the heart of a lady on how she is affected , instead of mere rhetoric and regurgitation as is the norm of far to many TV residents .

Your perspective is your personal perogative as to how you interpret the written word , her ethniticty has as much to do with anything as your own with the exception of one very important fact THE LADY IS THAI , you sir are a mere blight in this country in the eyes and heart of many genuine citizens , please show a little respect for a true Thai and her personal feelings .

Um... "Some posters here will undoubtedly dismiss her comments as being typical of the Thai-Chinese".. Does that make Thaksin and everyone in his party A-typical Thai Chinese?

This is a battle of elites, not a class war.

"The writer is Thai-Chinese in origin, but 100% Thai in outlook, lives in Korat, has own business, and also owns a condo in Bangkok where her two daughters live"

Good for her to have an opiniion but its disingenuous of you to suggest she speaks for the whole of Thailand. I suspect she's a tad better off than the 'red shirt' peasant in the rice field who might have a totally different opinion. Why it matters I don't know but I'm a white expat enjoying this country far more than my own.