Pattaya Beach Infested With Rats

webfact

Not much to do unless add snakes or cats in to the equation.

Thai cats rarely attack rats. They know they'll lose the fight  :)

The answer is education. At my kids school, all of the kids just throw their trash on the floor. The teachers just let them do it!  At a recent event, I watched as their parents and whole families did the same. At the end of the meeting, about 2 hours, a mountain of uneaten food and trash was left behind. Every chair was covered with sticky gunge and spilled sugary drinks. Hordes of ants appeared from nowhere and bit us to death.

I remember the days when I was at school when it was 1 hour's detention if you even threw a small piece of paper on the floor.

The habit of littering is appalling here. The other day I saw a girl on the back of a motorbike wearing one of those white with green lettering "Save the Planet: Recycle" t-shirts toss a chips wrapper nonchalantly on to the road. I just don't get it. They must be handing out those shirts for free somewhere.

I see rats in Patong occasionally, but it;s not the littering, it's the lack of proper ribbish bins. The garbage is piled on the side of the road, tops of bags not tied, and the soi dogs tear them open, then the rats come. One more reason I avoid Patong. It gets more like Pattaya every day. (Although I wouldn't mind the baht buses Patts has!)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I stayed there about a year back there was rat poison up in all the trees along the beach.

If you want to see real garbage go to Cambodia, saw piles of the stuff 6ft high at some markets and the ground under resturant tables was white with discarded tissues and paper.

Speaking of...

Anyone notice the removal of litter bins from 7-11s?

You are correct.I wonder why they removed them.Now the tab goes to the floor :)

They may have moved them from fear of having a bomb put in one of them with what is going on at the moment, nearly all bins were removed from train stations and underground stations in england because of this reason.

Not much to do unless add snakes or cats in to the equation.

Owls actually. One of the best cures for a rat problem.

Thais don't like them. Don't know the full gist, but apparently some superstitious crap about "pee".

They may have moved them from fear of having a bomb put in one of them with what is going on at the moment, nearly all bins were removed from train stations and underground stations in england because of this reason.

Could be. Didn't think of that.

You are correct. I wonder why they removed them. Now the tab goes to the floor :)

That is what happened. During the 2006 coup a bomb was put in (maybe a bank ATM slip) trash can. After that all trash cans in Bangkok -- banks, 7/11, Family Mart, even the small public ones attached to poles -- were removed. There was a subsequent effort to replace them with frames holding clear plastic garbage bags but that never caught on much (maybe because of poor durability). The only one I can think of still around is next to the bus stop bench in front of Ploenchit Center.

You are correct. I wonder why they removed them. Now the tab goes to the floor :)

That is what happened. During the 2006 coup a bomb was put in (maybe a bank ATM slip) trash can. After that all trash cans in Bangkok -- banks, 7/11, Family Mart, even the small public ones attached to poles -- were removed. There was a subsequent effort to replace them with frames holding clear plastic garbage bags but that never caught on much (maybe because of poor durability). The only one I can think of still around is next to the bus stop bench in front of Ploenchit Center.

before coming to Thailand I would NEVER litter and would often clean up trash, but here it is ridiculous how there are no trash bins anywhere. You might have to carry that empty can and bag for 2-3 kilometres before you see a trash bin if your lucky.

Pattay Mail should be put out of Business. Pitty the Police did put Jeff already into Jail. He would be overjoyed.

Do have this <deleted> nothing better to do then putting bad News online? You would imagine in this harsh times to come up with something positive.

At least they could formulate it a little better, like

Pattaya`s long fight for a better Environment shows first Results. Wildlive along the pristine Beaches of the Family Resort of Pattaya is increasing.

:)

Any place not infested by rats in Thailand ?

Street food = rats but as soon as they don't attack humans, what is the problem with this ?

They do. One guy I know got a chunk bitten off his toe when he was sitting in an outdoors restaurant. URGHHHHHHH!

Poison the vermin!

he must've forgotten to pay her bar fine or the restaurant was too cheap for her taste.

I worked as a catering chef at one time and had to do an intensive hygene course. A whole section was devoted to vermin and before you jump to the wrong conclusion, even the cleanest of kitchens can get rat/mouse problems because of food lying around.

Little known fact is that rats often have known paths - rat runs - which they learn to use. As a rat runs along, it does little drops of urine every 10cms or so - dribbles as it goes. This is a kind of scent marking used by many animals

Hygene inspectors use a UV lamp to spot urine trails - try it. Also mouse droppings, another kind of scent marking is a give away

Its well known what rats pee diseases you can get - thats a given.

So pause a while and watch the rats scamper all over the concrete benches along beach road, peeing as they go. Then observe how adults and worse - children - sit there with hands on the benches, then maybe eating something

You do the math

there are 10s of thousands of rats hiding in deckchair piles and tree root burrows - be carefull where you put your hands

Edited by robint

I worked as a catering chef at one time and had to do an intensive hygene course. A whole section was devoted to vermin and before you jump to the wrong conclusion, even the cleanest of kitchens can get rat/mouse problems because of food lying around.

Little known fact is that rats often have known paths - rat runs - which they learn to use. As a rat runs along, it does little drops of urine every 10cms or so - dribbles as it goes. This is a kind of scent marking used by many animals

Hygene inspectors use a UV lamp to spot urine trails - try it. Also mouse droppings, another kind of scent marking is a give away

Its well known what rats pee diseases you can get - thats a given.

So pause a while and watch the rats scamper all over the concrete benches along beach road, peeing as they go. Then observe how adults and worse - children - sit there with hands on the benches, then maybe eating something

You do the math

there are 10s of thousands of rats hiding in deckchair piles and tree root burrows - be carefull where you put your hands

Indeed, be careful where you put your hands in Pattaya.

Hang on this is a potential export business :D

Round them up and ship em out :)

Beat the Global Food Crisis & Eat Rat

With the price of meat on the increase, the Cambodians have taken to consuming ‘rat meat’ as an alternative in order to beat the global food crisis. As the price of beef rises beyond the reach of the poor, the demand for rat meat has also risen.

Compared to 2 years ago, prices of 1,200 riel for a kilo of rat meat, the cost has now risen by four times that amount per kilo. As the cost of beef is around 20,000 riel per kilo, spicy field rat dishes in garlic are increasingly found on menus. :D

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/04...crisis-eat-rat/

Not sure how I missed all that before, but GREAT info. Thank you.

Guess I just never noticed the lack of bins until this time.

WOW, I guess it is party time. Let's get the BBQ's out and some beers. Rats are a delicasy in the North and we have plenty of those here in Pattaya. Since low, lower, lowest LOW season the girls and guys must be getting hungry. Party time for them

They could start by adding a few hundred trash bins and have them emptied regualarly. I am amazed at the lack of bins for people to throw their garbage into. No wonder they toss trash on the ground.

Littering is illegal here you get a fine for littering, but like somone else stated they take all the bins away after a bomb scare or two thats been true for years here, then they blame people for littering. Is there not such a thing as a bomb proof bin??