Getting Married

How does one physically get married here in Thailand. I am aware of the documents needed.

Letter from the foreigners embassy, 2 witnesses to say he can marry, blue book from woman, her I.D. Photos of house or apartment etc., for marriage visa, But is there an office that you go to that actually marries you and gives you the paperwork to say that you are married?

How does one physically get married here in Thailand. I am aware of the documents needed.

Letter from the foreigners embassy, 2 witnesses to say he can marry, blue book from woman, her I.D. Photos of house or apartment etc., for marriage visa, But is there an office that you go to that actually marries you and gives you the paperwork to say that you are married?

You go to any Amphur office with

Prospective wife

Ladies ID card (+ photocopies)

Your Passport ( + photocopies)

Your affirmation of freedom to marry, with translation into Thai, both countersigned and stamped by Ministry of Foreign Affairs within the last 90 days

70bht

You most certainly don't need

Her Tabian Ban book (aks blue book)

Any witnesses (Amphur office staff will countersign documents)

Photos of anything

Edited by sarahsbloke

Ministry of Foreign Affairs - they are the legalization authority for international documents just as Department of State is for the US. You take a Embassy paper after translated and they register it and file a copy. District Office can then confirm with them that the document you present is real.

For foreigners wanting to get married in Thailand, it's fairly simple. This process will not take longer than 7 days.

The first step will be to obtain an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from your embassy. This has to be done by you. Normally, the embassy will just require your passport and 2 reference persons (including their respective contact information and addresses) if you have never married.

If you have been divorced previously, you must present your "original" divorce decree(s)/divorce certificate(s) of all prior marriages as an added requirement to being single. If widowed/(er), then a death certificate is an added requirement. For divorced and widowed/(er) applicants, an affirmation of Single Status must also be acquired (as a supporting document to Freedom to marry). The embassy will issue these documents within the same day.

These documents will have to be translated into Thai language and must be officially certified at the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs, the MFA quote a duration of 3 days for this process. Thereafter you will be required to officially register your marriage at the Local District Office in Thailand.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

For foreigners wanting to get married in Thailand, it's fairly simple. This process will not take longer than 7 days.

That would depend upon the nationality. For example, it took me a month to get all the documents (from the Philippines) required to marry a Filipino here in Thailand and 2 documents from the Philippine Embassy which had to be translated and MFA certified.

A Norwegian guy I met was telling me about how much hassle it was for him to collect all the documents from Norway to present to the Norwegian Embassy to get permission to marry.

Not all Embassies will accept a statutory declaration that a person is single and free to marry.

If you have been divorced previously, you must present your "original" divorce decree(s)/divorce certificate(s) of all prior marriages as an added requirement to being single. If widowed/(er), then a death certificate is an added requirement. For divorced and widowed/(er) applicants, an affirmation of Single Status must also be acquired (as a supporting document to Freedom to marry). The embassy will issue these documents within the same day.

If you are a Brit then the British Embassy requires you to return the next day to pick up the freedom to marry document.

These documents will have to be translated into Thai language and must be officially certified at the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs, the MFA quote a duration of 3 days for this process. Thereafter you will be required to officially register your marriage at the Local District Office in Thailand.

You can pay an extra fee of 800 Thai baht and have them translated the same day, although it does nearly take all day.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

ragandboneman

The first step will be to obtain an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from your embassy. This has to be done by you. Normally, the embassy will just require your passport and 2 reference persons (including their respective contact information and addresses) if you have never married.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Thanks Sunbelt.

The Embassy requirement is only that you list two references (at least in the case of US Embassy). They do not have to appear or be contacted. As said different Embassies have different specific requirements so what can be done in a day for many of us could take a week or more for some others. Many people have been able to do the entire process in one day using translation/marriage agency services but MFA has recently stopped there priority service I believe so that may slow things down a bit. Once you obtain the returned documents from MFA and can then go to any District Office with spouse and register the official marriage. That will normally require two physical witness (often staff) and if you have no knowledge of Thai they may want you to have someone to be sure you understand the ledger entries (but need not be official translator).

Always check first with your embassy which documents to bring along. Some require you bring documents from your own country to the embassy.

I did bring my divorce certificate to Thailand with me to be on the safe side.

You go to any Amphur office with

Prospective wife

Ladies ID card (+ photocopies)

Your Passport ( + photocopies)

Your affirmation of freedom to marry, with translation into Thai, both countersigned and stamped by Ministry of Foreign Affairs within the last 90 days

70bht

You most certainly don't need

Her Tabian Ban book (aks blue book)

Any witnesses (Amphur office staff will countersign documents)

Photos of anything

yes you do need to take tambian ban

I got married 3 months ago and my wife didn't have it with her, the only documentation she took to the Amphur office was her ID card.

She did need her tabian ban book to change her address (at her local office) re-register in her new book (new amphur) and then get a new ID card with a new surname.

Edited by sarahsbloke

The Embassy requirement is only that you list two references (at least in the case of US Embassy). They do not have to appear or be contacted. As said different Embassies have different specific requirements so what can be done in a day for many of us could take a week or more for some others. Many people have been able to do the entire process in one day using translation/marriage agency services but MFA has recently stopped there priority service I believe so that may slow things down a bit. Once you obtain the returned documents from MFA and can then go to any District Office with spouse and register the official marriage. That will normally require two physical witness (often staff) and if you have no knowledge of Thai they may want you to have someone to be sure you understand the ledger entries (but need not be official translator).

Australians are lucky. Have them email you the statutory declaration form. Fill it out and hand it in at the Consulate, sign it and pay 590 baht (last month) and 5 minutes later you'll have a stamped form ready for translating.

I got married 3 months ago and my wife didn't have it with her, the only documentation she took to the Amphur office was her ID card.

She did need her tabian ban book to change her address (at her local office) re-register in her new book (new amphur) and then get a new ID card with a new surname.

If the girls Tabian ban book is in the name of her parents or family and not in her name does that make a difference?

No. It is quite normal to remain on parents.

Thanks again, I don't know if I will marry here but at least now I have all the information necessary.

You are always a great help for almost any question. You deserve a lot of credit here.