Overstay Questions

Overstay questions.

- As far as the BiB are concerned, is there any difference between a week's overstay and a year's overstay?

- If they throw you in jail, how are you supposed to organize buying a ticket out of the country, collecting your personal effects, etc?

- And a corollary to that - what happens if you get arrested (for overstay only) up country and taken to Bangkok? Do they give you any opportunity to collect your ID's, credit cards, etc?

Thanks.

There can be a difference in the fine that you need to pay: The fine is 500 baht a day with a maximum of 20,000. In that sense time can make a difference. You have to arrange for a ticket out of the country, you might need the help of your embassy if you can't do it yourself.

In general, immigration seems to be very relaxed, as long as you are too. Note that law allows for a jail sentence and they can detain you till the airplane leaves.

Best is not to have an overstay. If you have one, take care of it now. It is no problem returning if you report yourself at the airport with a ticket and the fine.

A year vs. a week would see a very different reaction among Immigration authorities. Any benefit of the doubt or understanding that you might receive due to a few days would surely not be forthcoming if you had stayed illegally in the Kingdom for a year.

Is this your situation? Or just curious?

If you are arrested and have no one in Thailand to assist you, then you will need to engage the services of your embassy to retrieve personal belongings, arrange transport home, etc. If, however, you are not arrested you most likely can leave without penalty from Suvarnabumi International by simply paying the fine -- a maximum 20,000 baht -- and showing your outgoing ticket. As noted, many immigration officials are surprisingly relaxed if you can pay the fine and are leaving the country. On the other hand,you may get a stamp in your passport or be barred from returning for a period of time.

Some border points are under instruction from the main Immigration HQ in Bangkok that anyone exiting the country with an overstay of 40 days or more is to be arrested and sent to Bangkok for questioning, at which point they will be processed and placed in the Immigration Detention Centre before they are able to make their way out of the country. Again, while in the IDC, you will need assistance to arrange tickets, etc.

It cannot be understated that overstaying is a serious offence. In some of Thailand’s neighbouring countries the mandatory punishment is 14 days jail and in many Western countries, overstaying your visa may see you subject to a ban from returning to that country for a period of 5 years. Please don’t think that the 20,000 baht maximum fine is a friendly invitation to overstay as long as you wish, like some sort of convenient, long-term visa solution. It isn’t.

Our expert Legal Advisors can provide you a more detailed information about visa requirements, work permit and company legal issues.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Thank you. That is an interesting choice of words. I do believe I see something between the lines.

In general, immigration seems to be very relaxed, as long as you are too.

Thank you. That is an interesting choice of words. I do believe I see something between the lines.
In general, immigration seems to be very relaxed, as long as you are too.

After reading the above post i realised that my Visa expires on Monday!!!, I fly out of the country Tuesday morning, Is a one day overstay not a problem at the airport ? Or do i need to go to immigration on Monday ? :)

My fault 100% for not realising sooner, or i would have booked my flight for the day before.

Thoughts Please ?

Airport will not charge you but may notate the overstay. But it is no anything that will cause you problems under current policy as long as you are not involved in something before exit and after overstay starts. Immigration would most likely tell you not to worry about it.

Airport will not charge you but may notate the overstay. But it is no anything that will cause you problems under current policy as long as you are not involved in something before exit and after overstay starts. Immigration would most likely tell you not to worry about it.

Thanks, Appreciated