Ais 3g Gsm Edge Gprs 3g 599 Unilimited

tmifune

Hello all,

I went to an AIS 3g outlet/shop at the ICON and was sold the AIS 3g GSM EDGE GPRS 3G 599 unlimited package. The girl assured me that I would have unlimited download for a monthly charge of 599bht at/up to 3gb download speed.

At the time it sounded to good to be true, but I did a speed test when the sim card was activated and was getting over 1.2gb. But now it looks like I am limited to only .20mb download speed. :)

Don't feel bad about it.

I have had AIS 3G since they rolled out in July 2008.

Had to buy a flash drive modem (they only had that, and a phone...no wireless router) for 5990 B. Same item is 3990 B now.

I am on a 1.5 GB/month plan for 300 B. Don't laugh, I don't do bit torrents, You Tube or twatter, so I don't need much bandwidth. And I have 2 other connects.

Sometimes it works brilliantly, sometimes it is <deleted>.

Just like every other thing in this country.....:)

I have the 100 hours a month plan for 400 Baht. I use the blue tooth in my phone for a modem. nthe service is an the average OK nothing to write home about. Some times WOW oher times forget it. The service is next door to non exsistant.

I will be traveling a lot between now ans late September at witch time I am going to look into upgrading to 3GB I have no idea if that is a good option or not I would like more time and a faster connection as well as better service.

Any tips much appreciated I am Tech challenged.

Are you sure you have a 3g sim? I don't see any unlimited packages listed on their website.

tariff_img4.gifshim.giftariff_img3.gifshim.gif 129 Baht shim.gif Free 100 MB shim.gif 399 Baht

shim.gif Free 500 MB shim.gif 699 Baht shim.gif Free 1 GB shim.gif 999 Baht shim.gif Free 2 GB shim.gif 1,399 Baht shim.gif Free 5 GB shim.gif 1,799 Baht shim.gif Free 10 GB

I have the same package that I arranged in the AIS main building on the Tha Phae Road. The first wireless router I had would not connect to the internet at all. One of my guests is a software engineer and despite a lot of effort he couldn't get it to work either. I then took out the sim and put it into my Nokia5800 and it worked first time. The Router was stuffed. I took it back the next day and after an hour of their technician working on it he agreed with me that the router was technically, stuffed and replaced it. Since then it has worked perfectly (apart from a slight hotmail access glitch that was solved by rebooting the router). However, I am based just off the Tha Phae Road which is near enough in the centre of the AIS "cloud".

829618001.png

I paid 3700B for the router with a 599B monthly charge (first month free) for unlimited use. I usually get speeds roughly around those shown above. I was told if I lived on the fringe areas of the "cloud" I might not get service at all. Maybe it is your location that is the problem?

I must be a mug as i am paying B1,500 a month for 5 gb down load with AIS . :)

I'm paying B700 a month for 1 gb, which I use in my Android phone. I rarely use over 500 mb a month. Seems like I should buy one of AIS's net sims and usb modems, and toss the modem. Anyone know if I can make phone calls with a net sim? Can I transfer my current phone number to the net sim?

Don't feel bad, Thaifan2.

All these companies change their offerings constantly.

I am on a plan from AIS 3GSM for 1.5GB/mo. for 300 B (plus VAT). I have also been with them since rollout in CM.

I am waiting to see what they will offer when my plan expires this Sept.

A friend just signed up with CAT CDMA wireless here in CM.

Flash drive-type modem (from them) a bit pricey at 5900 B.

First 3 months free, then 790 B/mo. unlimited.

He speedtest demo'd it today for me on his laptop, at poolside- download around 1.5 from Singers server, upload only about 250ish.

BKK server ~ 1.25 download; upload a bit faster than Singers at around 350 or so.

Nothing to write home about....about the same speeds I get on AIS 3G.

But 790/mo. for unlimited absolutely kills AIS on my current plan.

If I can get the 599 plan the OP mentioned when my plan expires, I'll stick with them.

Otherwise it is sayonara, hasta la vista, AIS....:)

I'm paying B700 a month for 1 gb, which I use in my Android phone. I rarely use over 500 mb a month. Seems like I should buy one of AIS's net sims and usb modems, and toss the modem. Anyone know if I can make phone calls with a net sim? Can I transfer my current phone number to the net sim?

To my knowledge no you can not use an AIS net sim for phone calls or transfer your phone number.

To my knowledge no you can not use an AIS net sim for phone calls or transfer your phone number.

It appears that with a 12Call netsim you can make phone calls at 2 baht a minute to all networks. With a GSM Advance netsim you can not make phone calls. Still not sure about transferring my existing number.

• 2 weeks later...

An update to the OP and any body else planning on using the above mentioned AIS 3G plan. As I said in my previous post all was working fine, which it was, until I reached the magical limit of 4GB downloaded. From that moment on download sppeds were reduced to 0.2MB (or less). Having given up on the "helpdesk" number I went down to the office on the Tha Phae Road.

Ah, the girl behind the desk said, you're on the 4GB unlimited plan - it transpires that unlimited refers to the fact that you can download unlimited amounts after the 4GB limit was up but at only 0.2MB download speed. Strange that the leaflet highlighted "unlimited" in english. My fault for not understanding written thai or taking along a fluent thai speaking geek and instead relying on being told the limitations of such an offer. I explained this and was offered the option of coming back in 3 months to discuss the situation - seeing that I am held to a 12 month contract there's not much else to do.

Having said that, bearing in mind the 4GB limit the download speeds and reliability have been fine - Just don't use it for Skype calls!

by the way, a cheaper option than buying that 3g modem for your computer is to buy a 1400 baht 3G phone one phone it's the 3gm602+ and works brilliantly as a modem, and not a terrible little phone either. it charges from the usb port so you plug it in the same way as the usb 3g modem, plus you've got a phone as well and it's half the price.

by the way, a cheaper option than buying that 3g modem for your computer is to buy a 1400 baht 3G phone one phone it's the 3gm602+ and works brilliantly as a modem, and not a terrible little phone either. it charges from the usb port so you plug it in the same way as the usb 3g modem, plus you've got a phone as well and it's half the price.

And how much is the 3G package for that option?

MSPain

• 1 month later...

I got AIS 3G usb modem at home in Maehia. Its been pretty good so far this last test result from today

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71610/3gspeed.jpg

3697 / 695 kbps

My TOT (3BB) 4mb line here is useless.

I just paid 600 baht for 3 gb and noticed that when I share the 3G line for several computers... it just ate 1GB in less than hr!! So that does not work right.

Now the 1 million baht question is can I use AIS 3G Wireless Router as another part of Multi-WAN ??

like this: http://www.sys2u.com/images/kb004-02.gif

so 3BB adsl + AIS 3G goes to Multi-Wan router and then to wireless router... has anyone tried ?

My promotion for a year 30 gb 799baht finished 15 July, went one week before to AIS office to SE if they had something else cheaper then 1500.

So I asked the the girl what she could do, she said no problem you are at the same rate in computer for one year more, so one more year for 799 bath a month 30gb download :)

When I looked in the dictionary, it says "Dustoff" is slang. So then I looked up "slang".

Then I looked up "proper noun".

Confusing !

MSPain

~

"AIS 3g GSM EDGE GPRS 3G 599"

Is it just me or is anyone else beginning to wonder if English is still our first language...? :huh:

~

Edited by hml367

Got price on this http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2820.html

Yes, we have it in stock. We sale 2820= 25200 THB including installation in Bangkok. This including training and remote support forever. www.DrayTek.Co.Th

So if anyone in BKK is interested this might be your solution for internet speed and down time. 2 x ADSL (different operators) + 3G + Vigor 2820 = decent internet.

Don't feel bad, Thaifan2.

All these companies change their offerings constantly.

I am on a plan from AIS 3GSM for 1.5GB/mo. for 300 B (plus VAT). I have also been with them since rollout in CM.

I am waiting to see what they will offer when my plan expires this Sept.

He speedtest demo'd it today for me on his laptop, at poolside- download around 1.5 from Singers server, upload only about 250ish.

BKK server ~ 1.25 download; upload a bit faster than Singers at around 350 or so.

If I can get the 599 plan the OP mentioned when my plan expires, I'll stick with them.

I have Cat CDMA modem - It worked well in the beginning but now speeds are very low....3 to ,5 mps

I would look elsewhere- Though I don,t believe there is anything out there that is reliably fast

I live in San Sai area

• 2 months later...

I have Cat CDMA modem - It worked well in the beginning but now speeds are very low....3 to ,5 mps

I would look elsewhere- Though I don,t believe there is anything out there that is reliably fast

I live in San Sai area

Speed seems to depend on (how many customers) where you are.

In Doi Saket, 0.7 down and 0.5 up ..... sometimes ...... much faster in the early hours.

In Trang (when on holiday down south) 2.5 down and 0.5 up ....... thought I was dreaming.

I suspect they sell to as many customers as want, but only have the same bandwith everywhere.

So could eveyone in Doi Saket with a CAT .... please move elsewhere!

Edited by sarahsbloke

I'm currently tethering my iPhone to my Mac via Bluetooth at home so that I can download torrents (as the condo Internet service blocks all torrent sites). Right now I'm getting just under 3 MB per second download and 1 MB per second upload speeds. I'm paying True 599Baht per month for unlimited 3G Internet usage, 200 minutes of free calls, 300 free SMS & 50 free MMS. Skype works fine, so I'm enjoying the free calls to friends & family back home.

Edited by Scrubber