Interpol to track Thaksin: Thai Foreign Ministry

webfact

Foreign Ministry to join hands with the Interpol in tracking Thaksin

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is preparing measures for the return of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatara for prosecution.

Following the arrest warrant issued for Mr Thaksin on terrorism charge in connection with riots in the capital, Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya stated that the ministry would collaborate with the Thai embassies in each country and the International Police Organization (Interpol) in order to deport Mr Thaksin back to the Kingdom.

Mr Kasit disclosed that the process of returning Mr Thaksin for prosecution would be less complicated once the arrest warrant was issued. Mr Thaksin will face difficulties while continuing his jetset lifestyle, which would make it easier for prosecutors to proceed with his arrest.

The criminal court on Tuesday has issued an arrest warrant for ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatara on grounds of violating the emergency law and for terrorism charges. The criminal court had earlier recalled its decision to issue arrest warrant on 20 May 2010 and asked the DSI to send the case back to the court for reconsideration.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-05-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Various Agencies to Meet on Thaksin Extradition

BANGKOK: -- Representatives from the Department of Special Investigation, the Ministry of Forieng Affairs, and the Attoney General's Office will meet 2 P.M. today to discuss how to extradite Thaksin Shinawatra back to Thailand to face various charges. The development comes after Thailand's Criminal Court approved an arrest warrest for Thaksin on terrorism charges.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-05-26

Government to Initiate Extraditing Process for Thaksin on Terrorism Charges

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government has prepared to initiate the extradition process for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on terrorism charges. The International Affairs Department said the process will begin once the department has received the case file from the Department of Special Investigation.

Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya announced that now that the court has ordered an arrest warrant against former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on terrorism charges, the Foreign Ministry will contact the foreign embassies and International Criminal Police Organisation to seek extradition of the fugitive ex-premier.

Kasit said that whether the extradition process will be successful depends on the international cooperation.

However, he said the process will be easier since the international governments now understand that Thaksin is being charged for terrorism. The foreign minister has also admitted that Thaksin's current whereabouts is unknown.

Meanwhile, Director-General of the Office of the Attorney General's International Affairs Department, Sirisak Tiyaphan, said that Thaksin could be extradited for two purposes, to take part in the trial or to serve out the penalties sentences by the court.

Sirisak pointed out that the department can only start the extradition process for Thaksin once the Department of Special Investigation has completed the investigation and submitted the case file to the Office of Attorney General.

When asked if the international governments will honour the terrorism charges against Thaksin as accused by the Thai government and judged by the Criminal Court, Sirisak answered that according to the basic definition accepted by the international standard, terrorism is the use of force aiming to harm lives or damage properties, implying the international community would agree with the Thai government and Criminal Court.

He also said the extradition could be done without an extradition treaty as negotiations could also be done.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-05-26

Best tried in the Hague if that were possible as there would be a backlash if he were tried and convicted in Thailand, nevertheless megalomaniacs use all their power to destroy their enemies and failing that they destroy themselves trying so it is important Thaksin is neutralized once and for all.

Best tried in the Hague if that were possible as there would be a backlash if he were tried and convicted in Thailand, nevertheless megalomaniacs use all their power to destroy their enemies and failing that they destroy themselves trying so it is important Thaksin is neutralized once and for all.

Neutralize? Time to call the Irish/Ozzie sniper?

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255305250040

once he sets foot on Thai soil all the red shirts will be around him.

just imagine the drama they just had in the centre of Bangkok. then imagine that as an encampment around wherever he is being held.

they will either have to have him in a 'secret' location which i'm sure would not remain secret for long or suffer total chaos around his location.

either way it would be a martyr in the making

I bet that extradition to TH will cause much more troubles than keeping him away of this country.

If he is jailed WITHIN Thailand - we'll see the "Red riots part 2", as he will become a mortyr to'em. And it will be MUCH huger than Ratprasong.

Better keep him away of TH borders. Or..emmm...it is a long story and long way to go to TH, may some very private road accidents occurs somewhere far in Montenegro, or something.... You know, there are LOTS of accidents...:)

But bringing him back to TH will be a total mistake IMO.

I hope Interpol can do a better job that Thai police or Thai snipers.

actually .. the thai police and DSI are VERY Effective organisations ....

if they want to get someone .. they will .... this is why thailand is not a place to stay for criminals searched worldwide.

thaksin is not "on the run" since he is seen almost every day somewhere in the world...

if there where a real warrant with serious worldwide coverage, he would not be able to leave the next airport !

in my opinion: anything else .. is just propaganda !

Just take his money away. Nothing is worst than a rich person losing all his money. That is what US would do and eventually he will be either desperate enough to come to Thailand to flight the charges, or he will be just like us not so wealthy and will give him a lot of pain, more than if he was in Jail

Plus as I mentioned before all the people who lost a lot of money, properties, etc can sue all these thugs who helped the Red Shirt to destroy people’s life, including Thaksin and all his friends and family

{off}

Dear all, please forgive me a little offtopic here - I just have no idea where else should I post...but does anyone here know where can I get a full list of victims and injured (in Thai) duringn the Rajprasong's 2-month long story?

Especially I need the list of the died/killed/injured soldier(s) and firefighter(s), and others who were in social duty those days. But a full list will also be welcomed (civilians/press/reds/farangs etc).

Please PM me, as this subject is an offtopic here.

Thanks alot.

{/off}

You are right on the money, pun intended.

Yes, I like this. Open, public and neutral.

Just the facts Maam. Should be more than enough.

But give him the full Milosovic treatment.

Bet he can't bribe a cushier cell accomidation at the Haugue.

Neutralize? Time to call the Irish/Ozzie sniper?

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255305250040

Neuralize has other meanings than that of spy novels and dime store philosophers.

Just take his money away. Nothing is worst than a rich person losing all his money.

Dont ya think that he is keeping ALL of his assets within TH but not somewhere in Swiss/Japs/HKs accounts? And even more - don't you think that he is not awared/prepared for this step long ago and already moved all his values somewhere...mmm...else, far away from any official's eye?

I really doubt that the officially known part of his money is the all of his money. I bet that it is just a top of the iceberg, where the rest is never-to-be-known by us nor by TH officials. Losing thу part of official assets he is not even cried. :)

Thus, splitting him from his assets IN FULL - is simply and technically impossible IMO.

I agree. Also, what will be his ultimate fate, to be under house arrest somewhere like Suu Kyi?

Eventually someone will take his money and he'll buy his way out. The Hague will not be so easily bought. Best outcome: China nabs him on one of his Hong Kong jaunts, he can't buy them because they'll take his money and property anyway.

Forget about sequestering his known wealth, he's got a ton hidden one way or the other. Remember how complicated his wheeling/dealing got when he was PM, owning corporations that turned out to be empty storefronts etc? And then there is wife, kids, etc. Be cool if his shyster lawyers emptied his coffers, happens every day.

I think his days are numbered (medically) and he's living out his Lex Luther fantasies.

Edited by bendejo

There will be countries in the world where he can go hide, I would suspect some of his travels have been to prepare the way for something like this, he has been to many small countries and made promises of investment, dont know if any have actually been honered.

One of these countries for instance is Fiji where Bananarama (or something) is a milatary dictator and answers to nobody.

Take away as much of his money as possible and leave him somewhere obscure.

Dont ever bring him back.

This is all as much a diplomatic push as much as a legal one and a pressure raising one. Thaksin had to make certain changes very quickly to advantage himself whihc is why the November eelction was refused. Now time is running short. This manouver by the government makes us eof time more difficult on a number of fronts for Thaksin such as having to check very carefully status before travelling, mor pressure on coutnries to shut him up or keep him out and another violent move by a group linked to him would have to be thought about very carefully although unfortunately for him the red group that still has leaders and stayed out of the recent round (and were actually highly critical of) are not really under any control of Thaksin unlike many of the currently banged up or in hiding leaders.

terrorist warrant may instantly bring :

not welcome,

no leading permission, and/or soon

no fund transfer

then anyone above could locate him easily :-)

I think that, as usual, the topic and article titles may be a little misleading. I read that Thailand is willing to collaborate with other countries and Interpol. I don't read where Interpol has made any comment or extra commitment to assist Thailand. I am sure it may be their duty to act if the warrant is considered valid and the opportunity presents itself, but I don't see anything in the articles that indicate any type of overt or enhanced action on Interpol tracking him down as the title seems to allude.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

I bet that extradition to TH will cause much more troubles than keeping him away of this country.

If he is jailed WITHIN Thailand - we'll see the "Red riots part 2", as he will become a mortyr to'em. And it will be MUCH huger than Ratprasong.

Better keep him away of TH borders. Or..emmm...it is a long story and long way to go to TH, may some very private road accidents occurs somewhere far in Montenegro, or something.... You know, there are LOTS of accidents... :)

i like it......if government can do this. :D

Thaksin's lawyer to submit appeal against Thaksin's warrant

Phichit Chuenban, a lawyer of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said Wednesday that he will submit an appeal against the Criminal Court's approval of terrorism arrest warrant against Thaksin.

Phichit said he will submit the appeal to the Criminal Court later Wednesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-26

now Phichit Chuenban, in Thailand

soon Robert Amsterdam, on the international stage

:)

once he sets foot on Thai soil all the red shirts will be around him.

just imagine the drama they just had in the centre of Bangkok. then imagine that as an encampment around wherever he is being held.

they will either have to have him in a 'secret' location which i'm sure would not remain secret for long or suffer total chaos around his location.

either way it would be a martyr in the making

They could always make it public where he is held and hold him in one of the southern provinces. I am by no means intending to give any one a idea about bombs. LOL :)

Better keep him away of TH borders. Or..emmm...it is a long story and long way to go to TH, may some very private road accidents occurs somewhere far in Montenegro, or something.... You know, there are LOTS of accidents... :rolleyes:

i like it......if government can do this.

This is all as much a diplomatic push as much as a legal one and a pressure raising one. Thaksin had to make certain changes very quickly to advantage himself whihc is why the November eelction was refused. Now time is running short. This manouver by the government makes us eof time more difficult on a number of fronts for Thaksin such as having to check very carefully status before travelling, mor pressure on coutnries to shut him up or keep him out and another violent move by a group linked to him would have to be thought about very carefully although unfortunately for him the red group that still has leaders and stayed out of the recent round (and were actually highly critical of) are not really under any control of Thaksin unlike many of the currently banged up or in hiding leaders.

I agree.The priority of the government is to more or less neutralise Thaksin as an offshore influence, a very reasonable objective.Of course I don't know but I doubt other than going through the motions there is any serious intention of actually obtaining Thaksin's extradition, mainly because of the potentially disastrous domestic political implications.Secondly there's a practical complication in that overseas governments are still likely to believe the motivation is political nor overseass would there be any serious belief in the neutrality of Thai justice..So except in the mind of the absurd and compromised little Kasit, I suppose this is all shadow play.I do think however there's potential for the Thais to pressurise the Europeans and the Americans to monitor Thaksin's behaviour - a quiet word from Abhisit to David Cameron perhaps?

Seems that everyone forgot one benefit Thaksin can enjoy from this new charge of being a wanted terrorist: he can now really apply for political asylum as victim of political persecution.

In fact, with this move, the Thai Govt made it easier for Thaksin to get this status and be heard at the concerned agency under the UN!

I said it in another forum and I will say it here;

Thaksin has money right? Ok that said his next move will be to go to Argentina, get the best surgical doctor there as many others have done and have a complete overhaul. He could have fat cut off, face reconstruction, EVERYTHING. He could even become a Kathoye (ladyboy). And don't laugh at that. He could walk right through immigration at the airport and be walking amung us tomorow and noone would know.

Seems that everyone forgot one benefit Thaksin can enjoy from this new charge of being a wanted terrorist: he can now really apply for political asylum as victim of political persecution.

That's a very interesting point.

And I don't doubt that it is one his team of lawyers is actively investigating.