A Stupid Suggestion I'm Sure

Gonzo the Face

It has now been a good full week since the difficulty with the PROTESTING ? on the Narrawat Bridge.

The traffic lights are still not working.....

Do you not think that some Thinking police commander would put some traffic police to do some traffic directing on these intersections ?

I just came thru there about 20 Minutes ago and its every man for himself in all directions....

TIT so I guess its gonna take tomato juice...

i went thru there a few times this week and wondered why no one had fixed them/turned them on

not as if it was a minor intersection or anything, however most that have been driving/riding here awhile are used to throwing down the gaunlet

There using every available police officer to enforce a useless curfew. They can't spare a man to prevent carnage at a major intersection.

what do they do between 5 am to 11 pm then? :)

There using every available police officer to enforce a useless curfew. They can't spare a man to prevent carnage at a major intersection.

I guess thats when they are enforcing the curfew,,,, after all its easier to see the curfew breakers when its light outside.....just write it up after dark

Its really a sad note about those traffic lights...... even if they had to rob peter to pay paul from some much lesser used intersection.... but they are not even working on them as I can see..... and as someone said these are high traffic, high density intersections

Maybe we could check with the mayor or govenor..... or are they on the way to Bkk ???

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I saw a group of police (10 or more) on Sukumvit near Ekamai at 11:00 AM today. They were doing the usual citing anyone on mtorbikes without helmets and checking tax stickers. I guess they needed money today. Nothing better to do then harass people who's lives have been miserable for the past month. TIT

I found travelling through those lights easier without them working.

Everyone was being very polite and no queues at all.

That was my experience as well. I've been through a few times now since the lights started their protest and the traffic flows better than ever. Hopefully Somchai won't find the blown fuse and he'll leave the lights as they are. I really think Thais only need traffic lights at junctions where cars approach at high speeds, because give them a slow moving junction and people just get on with it.

I saw a group of police (10 or more) on Sukumvit near Ekamai at 11:00 AM today. They were doing the usual citing anyone on mtorbikes without helmets and checking tax stickers. I guess they needed money today. Nothing better to do then harass people who's lives have been miserable for the past month. TIT

I agree, I would also love it if no-one had to tax their vehicle, pay insurance, wear helmets etc etc. Death race was a great film lol.

In all seriousness, it has been bad for the people all over the country but if things are to be returned to any sense of normality then people getting tickets for breaking laws is really a normal process. I'm sure your aware your legaly obliged to wear a helmet and tax your vehicle? Can't really see your argument or the point in your post to be honest

I found travelling through those lights easier without them working.

Everyone was being very polite and no queues at all.

That was my experience as well. I've been through a few times now since the lights started their protest and the traffic flows better than ever. Hopefully Somchai won't find the blown fuse and he'll leave the lights as they are. I really think Thais only need traffic lights at junctions where cars approach at high speeds, because give them a slow moving junction and people just get on with it.

The police box was gutted, which included the controls for the traffic lights at two intersections. Since the burning I have seen police directing traffic there on two occasions during peak rush hour.

I agree at certain times of the day, it seems to be working very well. But at 5:00pm, its chaos.

I agree, I would also love it if no-one had to tax their vehicle, pay insurance, wear helmets etc etc. Death race was a great film lol.

In all seriousness, it has been bad for the people all over the country but if things are to be returned to any sense of normality then people getting tickets for breaking laws is really a normal process. I'm sure your aware your legaly obliged to wear a helmet and tax your vehicle? Can't really see your argument or the point in your post to be honest

I believe that his comment was referring to the police seance of priorities. From what I see, the smallest infractions are enforced the most aggressively, while larger crimes are all but ignored.

perhaps it's just my own stupid line of thought but i can't help imagining that the police are just saying "you smashed our box and yelled at us to stay away from your rally and then burned down the traffic lights. som nam na. direct your own bloody traffic."

i have been known to let my imagination get the better of me.

i also like not waiting at the light. but i'll be surprised if someone doesn't get seriously injured soon. myself, i'm trying to use other cars for shields.

The police box was gutted, which included the controls for the traffic lights at two intersections. Since the burning I have seen police directing traffic there on two occasions during peak rush hour.

it's not likely the light controls.....just a couple toggle switches......but the ac was trashed as well.

perhaps it's just my own stupid line of thought but i can't help imagining that the police are just saying "you smashed our box and yelled at us to stay away from your rally and then burned down the traffic lights. som nam na. direct your own bloody traffic."

Absolutely right. It is just your stupid line of thought.

The lights control box on Nawarat Bridge, as someone said, was smashed up,  ripped apart and thrown on the burning tyres. Probably a while before they are replaced. They are manned during rush hour and at other times it all seems to work okay. 

I doubt that there are any spares to be had in CM. When the garbage truck took out the pedestrian crossing control box on the moat is is still not working (several months). The school our kids go to is on summer break so maybe it will be repaired by September. We sure would not want the BIB to hurt their reputation by doing something useful (directing traffic the old fashioned way)

Quick, Chiang Mai (Thailand!) is out of new wires to replace old wires ! And switches too ! And the boxes to put them in ! Amazing !

It's probably a little bit OllyRama's conjecture, plus other priorities, plus Thai bureaucracy: Fill out forms for lost/ damaged property to civic location. Get it done in triplicate. Get it stamped in triplicate at three different government offices - just in Chiang Mai ! Get it approved for request to send to main offices in BKK. Fill out new forms for BKK offices. Repeat triplicate n stamp process. Wait for approval for budgeting. Re-submit for actual parts n labor needed. Begin seeking bidders (some sargeant's cousin who does wiring n electric, so money flows into the family).

I guess thats when they are enforcing the curfew,,,, after all its easier to see the curfew breakers when its light outside.....just write it up after dark

Its really a sad note about those traffic lights...... even if they had to rob peter to pay paul from some much lesser used intersection.... but they are not even working on them as I can see..... and as someone said these are high traffic, high density intersections

Maybe we could check with the mayor or govenor..... or are they on the way to Bkk ???

..now..who is the Mayor again?..

what do they do between 5 am to 11 pm then? :D

Well GotLost, I guess there goes this thread....... At least its RodCourt49 this time, not us....

:)

i went thru there a few times this week and wondered why no one had fixed them/turned them on

not as if it was a minor intersection or anything, however most that have been driving/riding here awhile are used to throwing down the gaunlet

I love these intersections with no controls :)

Cars move a lot better without the cops controlling things.

Quick, Chiang Mai (Thailand!) is out of new wires to replace old wires ! And switches too ! And the boxes to put them in ! Amazing !

It's probably a little bit OllyRama's conjecture, plus other priorities, plus Thai bureaucracy: Fill out forms for lost/ damaged property to civic location. Get it done in triplicate. Get it stamped in triplicate at three different government offices - just in Chiang Mai ! Get it approved for request to send to main offices in BKK. Fill out new forms for BKK offices. Repeat triplicate n stamp process. Wait for approval for budgeting. Re-submit for actual parts n labor needed. Begin seeking bidders (some sargeant's cousin who does wiring n electric, so money flows into the family).

a bit cynical, but probably correct :)

Well GotLost, I guess there goes this thread....... At least its RodCourt49 this time, not us....

:)

no, the thread still works, so its really you two :D