Switching Service On Usb Modem

Hi, Have a few questions.

First, I have 12call as my Iphone's mobile service provider. I like my mobile number. Am I able to port the number to True?

Secondly, I have a HSDPA USB Stick from AIS as well. However, I only pick up GPRS service in Bangkok. I would like to switch to True3G. Can I just pop a new SIM card from True and subscribe to a 3G package from them? Do I have to flash the firmware at all? Or do I just get a software CD from True?

Thanks.

First, no. Number portability is planned in Thailand, but hasn't happened yet.

Second, might be possible. Not sure True 3G sells naked 3G sims at all though, last I checked they didn't but that was a year ago so they might have new offerings now. It depends a bit on the stick, whether it supports both AIS and True 3G frequencies.

Indeed, no number portability between providers.

I'm not sure the AIS stick can work with True 3G.

AFAIK True 3G sits on 850 Mhz, and AIS sits on 900 Mhz.

Most devices would do 900 + 2100 or 850 + 2100. Doubt there are devices doing both 850 and 900.

Which means there is a good possibility that it would work on TOT 3G, which also has reasonable coverage in Bangkok!

http://www.tot3g.net/en/howto_setting_detail.php?setID=3

From the above it seems you AIS stick should work on the TOT network, unless AIS has been naughty enough to lock it into their network (i.e. only AIS simcards accepted).