Residents Get 'kicks Out' Of Shoddy Goods

george

Nonthaburi residents get 'kicks out' of shoddy goods

NONTHABURI: -- Local authorities of Nonthaburi Province on the outskirts of Bangkok yesterday launched an initiative, allowing residents to get 'kicks out' of shoddy goods, like CD players that failed to play and radios that broke down after a few weeks.

The somewhat surprising move - the brainchild of the provincial governor and the provincial commerce and industry officers - yesterday saw piles of sub-standard CD players, HiFi equipment and radios heaped outside the Provincial Hall for the public to destroy.

Passers-by were provided with mallets, and appeared to have a huge amount of fun venting their frustration on the shoddy goods.

According to the province's deputy governor, Mr. Pichet Phaiboonsiri, the initiative was dreamed up after provincial officials received a large number of complaints from the public about sub-standard goods being sold in local electrical shops.

He warned that shops that continued to sell such goods would face legal action.

--TNA 2005-06-16

NONTHABURI: -- Local authorities of Nonthaburi Province on the outskirts of Bangkok yesterday launched an initiative, allowing residents to get 'kicks out' of shoddy goods, like CD players that failed to play and radios that broke down after a few weeks.

Thats not an "initiative". A real initiative would be to force the suppliers/manufactures to replace or refund for the faulty goods.

Edited by TizMe

After buying many items here, not necessarily cheap also, I've found many defects and not all of it comes from Thailand. It sometimes leaves me wondering if the good stuff is exported and the rejects sold here. Same goes for foreign companies who send goods that did not pass quality check to Thailand.

I've bought quite a few electrical things now(hi-fi,toaster,coffee machine...),and not only cheap,and on too many occasions they've died just after the one-year guarantee period was over.Must be a lot of research put in to make them last just one year....

Thats not an "initiative". A real initiative would be to force the suppliers/manufactures to replace or refund for the faulty goods.

Refund?

What you mean refund?

You don’t get no stinking refund!

You go now.

sub-standard goods being sold in local electrical shops.

He warned that shops that continued to sell such goods would face legal action.

--TNA 2005-06-16

Does this herald the end for 'Makro'? :o

Makro quality is better than Tesco in my experience.

I have even found Tesco selling secondhand goods as new.

Tesco:

We bought a carbon filter air cleaner there for about 3,000 baht.

Upong returning home, we noticed that it did not have the carbon filter in it. We went back to the store and looked in the other boxes and noticed that many boxes did not have filters. It took 20 minutes to explain it to the manager that she needed tto provide us with a carbon filter as well. There filters were being sold separate. Taken from the box, and then sold.

Number 2

My friend's son is 1/2-1/2. He has a Thai ID card. One day, my friend's gf took the boy to Lotus to check out there offer of a free cake to anyone born on December 5th--the King's B'day. They assured her that if he comes in on the 5th, there will be a cake for him.

Well, along comes the 5th, and my friend, whose mannerisms leave a lot to be desired, took his son in for a cake. Lotus told him that there are no cakes for Farang children. He told them that the boy is Thai and has an ID card. They responded with "We are out of cakes." My friend's responce was more than likely heard throughout the store. "This is an English company, not a Thai company. You owe my Thai child a cake on this day. Give him a cake or I will put your name on the letter I send to England." He recieved a cake shortly thereafter.

I do not believe his tactics to be wise.

Tesco is a complete shambles.

I have bought four faulty items there.

I have seen secondhand items for sale.

I have seen loads of past sell by date items

I have seen 1 out of twelve checkouts manned at lunchtime

I have seen aisles blocked by restackers on a saturday at 11am

I have been refused items because the lady with the key has gone to lunch and so we cannot open the display case.

I hate Tesco. I shop elsewhere now.

Unfortunately Thetyim's experience with Tesco is not an isolated case, but it's not just limited to Tesco...virtually all of the points made also apply at almost any supermarket chain in Asia...not just Thailand.

I have had similar problems at Robinson's and at Carrefour as well as a number of local outlets in Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singapore.

I HOPE it's getting better, but experience tells me I am fooling myself...

Buyer beware...! :o

Tesco is a complete shambles.

I have bought four faulty items there.

I have seen secondhand items for sale.

I have seen loads of past sell by date  items

I have seen 1 out of twelve checkouts manned at lunchtime

I have seen aisles blocked by restackers on a saturday at 11am

I have been refused items because the lady with the key has gone to lunch and so we cannot open the display case.

I hate Tesco.  I shop elsewhere now.

Also totally unreliable for purchasing the same product regularly, shelves are always missing what sells most :o I'm sometimes tempted to bust open the one last item sealed up (for inventory purposes) on the top shelf in a cardboard box with a plastic window.

Don't try and find the plug-in mosquito repellents in that section, they are in the electrical department :D

I usually visit Tesco and Makro on the same shopping trip. Two wrongs can sometimes make a right.

Next time you go to Makro, notice how many shopping carts full of goods were left sitting there in front of checkout. Not enough manned checkouts, always.

Crappy management, locally and from abroad.

:D My wife just walked in and asked if I wanted to go to Tesco. :D