Airasia Offers Free Thai Tickets As Fare War Takes Off

webfact

I'm over here in Oz and paid for and promptly lost, a fare to BKK via Singapore for AU$540 (Ahhh the perils of working in an industry where you have to mobilize at a minutes notice.....)

They don't come much cheaper than that!

I'd be struggling to travel within Australia for less than $600 ex Perth!

On another note I reckon that Conner Purcell is probably wishing he could get a cheap air fare out of BKK about now LOL

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jiu-Jitsu and Notime, stop trying to educate the people who don't understand low cost carriers. Air Asia has a good formula and we know it. The last thing we need is to convert everyone. Then Air Asia will raise their ticket prices and eliminate the free seats. After 20+ flights with them, I'm happy to let others keep complaining.

Agreed, we have some 40 flights with them in the past few years and some real bargains- you have to get in quick- to complain after the event well there you go. :)

Best deals we had recently,CM to KL return 2 people total cost 3100฿, CH/BK/Guangzhou return 2 people total 5150฿- many similar deals. I think in that time maybe 5% of the flights were re-timed rescheduled but we had text advance warning.

My Hubby, who is working in Shanghai says that indeed he is able to book a free ticket TO Bangkok, but the return flight is DOUBLE the price it normally is...so it is actually the same as it normally would be.

I think Air Asia do not fly Hangzhou (Shanghai) to Bangkok only to KL?

TNSTAAFL

Air Asia cons

-1. If you need to cancel or reschedule you might as well throw the ticket away and start over

-2. Very difficult to get help on phone

-3. You must book in advance, ideally months, for best fares

-4. You need to travel very light

Air Asia pros

+1. No fares cheaper. I booked for almost max lugagge, and with 'convenience fee' it totals USD19 PNH -> BKK. If I decide to travel through KUL instead it is indeed a throw-away price

+2. If you travel with just one small carry-on excellent value

+3. If like me you hate airline food, you aren't paying for it

+4. If you live in Malaysia, especially near KUL - this is the best deal for flights in SE Asia

+5. If you live near or in BKK it's good value too, provided you travel their few destinations (e.g. Yangon)

I have thrown away several tickets and still I fly Air Asia unless I find some great deal at consolidators in BKK.

My Hubby, who is working in Shanghai says that indeed he is able to book a free ticket TO Bangkok, but the return flight is DOUBLE the price it normally is...so it is actually the same as it normally would be.

I thought the whole point of AA's pricing was that there was no normal price. The more seats they sell on any given flight, the higher the price goes for the remaining seats. Some people have to travel on a certain day and have no flexibility and some of these same people also don't understand that fares change constantly and can vary wildly from day to day. When you put the 2 together you get people who believe that blanket statements like the one quoted above apply. The route you mention doesn't exist so I looked at BKK to Guangzhou and during the sale there is a 799THB fare plus tax. There are many fares in the 2-3 thousand baht range and some in the 4-5000 baht range so I don't know which you would call a normal fare.

Dual pricing is an acknowledgment that citizenship has privilege, as in old Rome. And that the west makes a lot more money... or did in the past. I wouldn't waste angst on it. In the US we screw our own citizens in favor of cheap illegal workers, so I admire this in Thailand at this point in America's decline.

Dual pricing is judged on skin colour not citizenship.

I would be entirely happy for cheap entrance fees on production of a Thai ID card ...... but that's not the way it works.

I always find Thai Airways cheaper, more reliable and easier to use ..... AirAsia waste of space IMHO.

I like Thai airways too but if you always find them cheaper then you aren't looking too hard!

It seems from reading this thread that the frequent travelers are the ones that find AA most useful. I can't imagine any budget traveler who takes a half a dozen or more flights a year in Asia not using AA. For the non budget and infrequent traveler, AA probably isn't for you.

Top ten signs AA may be the right airline for you;

10. You carry a luggage scale.

9. You don't see anything wrong with buying a ticket for a flight months away even though you don't know what you will be doing. You do now!

8. You have never used a baggage trolley or cart thingy at the airport.

7. You don't need to be shown to your seat, because you have sat in the same one before.

6. You don't need to speak with anyone to buy your ticket, in fact you would prefer not too.

5. You don't need to be fed, watered, or pampered on a one hour flight.

4. You are used to scheduling your travel around fare sales, hotel sales.

3. You save old 100ml personal product containers for refill.

2. You check your bank, and other stuff online and prefer to pay online when able.

1. You spend more time in an airplane than you do posting on TV

Thai Air Asia The Shinawatra family is said to hold a majority

shareholder by nominee in Thai Air Asia, through Asia Aviation which

is 51 percent owned by Sittichai Veerathummnoon, following the sale of

Shin Corp.

If the above is true then the Shinawatra Family are indeed very astute investors.

Air Asia operates more than 500 flights per day and to give a comparison Qantas combined with Jetstar also operates 500 plus flights per day. Air Asia seem to be growing at a very fast rate throughout SE Asia, I read they have just formed a new Vietnam Airline.

I have flown approx 50 sectors with AirAsia KL-Clark KL-Bangkok and return and partner airline AirAsia X which fly the long haul routes Gold Coast-KL and return and have found them very efficient clean and tidy usually with new aircraft. Today I arrived in Australia from KL on a new Airbus 330 300 great flight, great aircraft.

I cannot fault the staff attention and attitude.

Note: If flying more than one sector you need to collect your checked in bags go through customs and then check in again there are no transit facilities. You need to ensure you have sufficient time between flights when booking more than one sector. When booking more than one sector you need to open two browser pages and pay separately for each flight.

Note: On some Asian sectors using smaller aircraft obviously the legroom is very limited. The seating is obviously designed for the smaller Asian body size and if more than 3 hours duration very uncomfortable.

The promoted low cost fares are often hard to find as you need to search day by day to find a good fare and at times their fares are no cheaper than other airlines fares.

If you have the time you can get a good deal. If you don't book well ahead you will pay a premium. Do your research first.

AirAsia is an excellent airline if you have the time and can find a cheap flight!

"The promoted low cost fares are often hard to find as you need to search day by day to find a good fare and at times their fares are no cheaper than other airlines fares."

Try using this: airasiaplus.com to search for fares over a two week period. It does get overloaded during the free seat promos. You have to enter a valid route for it to work otherwise it just says no fare found.

Thai Air Asia The Shinawatra family is said to hold a majority

shareholder by nominee in Thai Air Asia, through Asia Aviation which

is 51 percent owned by Sittichai Veerathummnoon, following the sale of

Shin Corp.

If the above is true then the Shinawatra Family are indeed very astute investors.

Air Asia operates more than 500 flights per day and to give a comparison Qantas combined with Jetstar also operates 500 plus flights per day. Air Asia seem to be growing at a very fast rate throughout SE Asia, I read they have just formed a new Vietnam Airline.

I have flown approx 50 sectors with AirAsia KL-Clark KL-Bangkok and return and partner airline AirAsia X which fly the long haul routes Gold Coast-KL and return and have found them very efficient clean and tidy usually with new aircraft. Today I arrived in Australia from KL on a new Airbus 330 300 great flight, great aircraft.

I cannot fault the staff attention and attitude.

Note: If flying more than one sector you need to collect your checked in bags go through customs and then check in again there are no transit facilities. You need to ensure you have sufficient time between flights when booking more than one sector. When booking more than one sector you need to open two browser pages and pay separately for each flight.

Note: On some Asian sectors using smaller aircraft obviously the legroom is very limited. The seating is obviously designed for the smaller Asian body size and if more than 3 hours duration very uncomfortable.

The promoted low cost fares are often hard to find as you need to search day by day to find a good fare and at times their fares are no cheaper than other airlines fares.

If you have the time you can get a good deal. If you don't book well ahead you will pay a premium. Do your research first.

AirAsia is an excellent airline if you have the time and can find a cheap flight!

Thai Air Asia is not Air Asia(Malaysia).

It seems from reading this thread that the frequent travelers are the ones that find AA most useful. I can't imagine any budget traveler who takes a half a dozen or more flights a year in Asia not using AA. For the non budget and infrequent traveler, AA probably isn't for you.

Top ten signs AA may be the right airline for you;

10. You carry a luggage scale.

9. You don't see anything wrong with buying a ticket for a flight months away even though you don't know what you will be doing. You do now!

8. You have never used a baggage trolley or cart thingy at the airport.

7. You don't need to be shown to your seat, because you have sat in the same one before.

6. You don't need to speak with anyone to buy your ticket, in fact you would prefer not too.

5. You don't need to be fed, watered, or pampered on a one hour flight.

4. You are used to scheduling your travel around fare sales, hotel sales.

3. You save old 100ml personal product containers for refill.

2. You check your bank, and other stuff online and prefer to pay online when able.

1. You spend more time in an airplane than you do posting on TV

Mr Bean, you seem to know me very well.

While I don't carry a luggage scale, I do weigh my luggage before I get to the airport to make sure I have no excess baggage.

And I have bought "free" tickets on Air Asia before I knew where I wanted to go. Free tickets from CNX to KUL cost 750 baht going and 325 return for all taxes and fees except baggage. I'll figure out later where I want to go once I get to KL.

It also helps to think about alternative routings when using Air Asia. I need to fly KUL to CNX in August. If I fly KUL-BKK and then BKK-CNX, the total cost is 1024 baht incl all taxes and fees (for both flights combined), except baggage.

As to item #1, I definitely spend more time on planes than I do on Thai Visa. Unfortunately both are a complete waste of time.

@cyberia -- I have no idea when you're flying but I had no trouble finding BKK-KUL for 799 baht (+ 700 baht in taxes and fees) for just about any day the first week in August. Not free, but unbeatable by any other airline.

I sure wished that was true.. free tickets out..

I find all these freebies good for tourism, but I live here and went to the ATM machine yesterday and was told the exchange rate was 32.14. I proceeded to get money from the machine and lo and behold the ATM exchange rate was 30.48 and there was an almost 5$ fee plus 150.00 badt to use the ATM. What kind of rip off are the banks here pulling now. They have always taken money off the top, but this is too much. Who could you complain to about this outrage. Just last week they were not doing this at my bank and now they are. I now have to figue out how to git around using the ATM machines here as I don't intend to pay this rip off amount for money exchange.

I find all these freebies good for tourism, but I live here and went to the ATM machine yesterday and was told the exchange rate was 32.14. I proceeded to get money from the machine and lo and behold the ATM exchange rate was 30.48 and there was an almost 5$ fee plus 150.00 badt to use the ATM. What kind of rip off are the banks here pulling now. They have always taken money off the top, but this is too much. Who could you complain to about this outrage. Just last week they were not doing this at my bank and now they are. I now have to figue out how to git around using the ATM machines here as I don't intend to pay this rip off amount for money exchange.

I don't know of any atm's that do not charge the 150 THB fee.

I don't mind the 150 BHT atm fee, it is the fact that they charge an addtional $5 fee and only give you a rate of 30.48 when the cash rate is 32.14. Say anything you want but that is a rip off.

My experience trying to book a ticket online with AirAsia. Because I did not enter the phone number three times as required I could not get passed the 2 information pages that you need to fill out to book online, I wanted to get to the end to see if the price shown was the price I would pay.

So I ended up calling the phone number listed for Thailand, Airasia. I pressed two for English. I had to repeat the dates 4 times to the woman, finally she quoted me a price of Bhat 5,000. Bangkok Rangoon return. The internet showed a price of Bhat 2,500 (remember I could not get to the end of the booking process online) I asked her 5 times where the Bangkok office was so I could go there and book, she answered with silly answers when I started to get angry she told me that she was answering the call in Malaysia.. She obviously did not know where their office would be in Bangkok. So I went back online and filled in my cell phone number 3 times omitting the first number zero. I finally got the the booking process to find that the price including all taxes, with out insurance was $3,100. Bhat. Such lousy service and trying to inflate the price. What bargain is Air Asia offering you???

Please understand the facts. The banks "here" are not ripping you off. The exchange rate and the $ fee is set by the card issuing bank or their transacting agent.

Only the 150 Baht (still a rip off) goes to the local bank.

Found a free flight, but if I would BKK <-> KUL then the airport tax is 700 THB instead of THB 100 looooooooool

That is, the tax on the trip I would have to pay for and they slap a THB 275 on the free flight, where there is NO tax/fee on it normally.....

Hm, so that 875 THB extra fees to get a "free" flight....

Yeah right.

You have to pay these taxes with all airlines. I suppose it would be more accurate to call it a "pay the tax and extras sale" but a "free seat sale" sounds better.

Thai International airport tax 700THB, no VAT

Thai Domestic airport tax 50-100THB plus VAT

Malaysian International airport tax 275THB

I have had to pay these fees for all airlines I have used in the past few years, I don't understand how someone could avoid paying them.

Airport tax are collected for the airport.

Airline gets nothing.

Unless you no show, airlines gets to keep, unless you ask for a airport tax refund. However most refund have a surcharge > the airport tax itself. AirAsia is the only airline I know that have a refund surcharge < international departure tax.

I don't mind the 150 BHT atm fee, it is the fact that they charge an addtional $5 fee and only give you a rate of 30.48 when the cash rate is 32.14. Say anything you want but that is a rip off.

If it is too expensive, don't use the ATM. FULL STOP. Problem solved.

If you have a Thai bank account you do not pay the 150 THB fee, nor the $5.00 fee, nor the fee that you home bank will charge about $3. for using your card overseas.

I checked last nite and again today on AirAsia ... BKK-Bali-BKK departure June 23 for eg: 6,000bht return ... next best fare is 7,500 and then 9,000bht depending on dates ... can't see ANY free flights (+ only tax's and fees) at all !

The best things in life are free. "you only get what you pay for"

It's not the price - it's the product that's faulty - and the company know this - they keep passengers in the dark, flights are delayed canceled rolled into one passengers are just expected to sit around until they (air Asia) are ready to fly them.

THeir main problem is the total disregard for their customers - the second problem is that they cut so many corners they can't actually fly many of the flights they schedule.

I must also say that an airline with such a lamentable record inspires absolutely no confidence when it comes to safety.

In particular the Thai branch of the company seems completely indifferent to their customers and has little or no organizational ability.

It's a wonder they don't drop out of the sky on a regular basis.

Their Thailand phone number is answered in Malaysia by supposedly English speaking people, who do not speak a little English but cannot understand your English and cannot give you an AirAsia office location in Bangkok. My experience today.

Oh stop all this nonsense bickering about AirAsia. Yes, they are a budget airline. Yes, you cannot be late for your flight cos you will loose your ticket that cannot be re-scheduled. Yes, you have to pay extra for meals and water. So what? At 7 MYR a meal and 2 MYR water even these extra services are very affordable. How can they be called a rip-off?? Their network is extensive, their planes, especially originating from Malaysian hubs are all spanking new and their service is swift and attentive. Where would we be without them? Flying on Bangkok Airways at 4 times the cost perhaps? Koh Samui - Bkk for 5,000 THB one way as against Suratthani - Bkk for 1,250 THB.

AirAsia have been voted best low-cost airline many times over. I have been using them extensively for the last 5 years (about 40 flights perhaps) and that enabled me to travel and visit many destinations that otherwise would be out of my reach. I flew London-KL last August for half of the other airline price and just came back from Australia (Gold Coast) for A$ 200. The flight KL to Perth was about the same price. Considering the distance these flight were a bargain even in comparison with VirginBlue Perth - Sydney for a very reasonable A$ 200.

But yes, don't book with AirAsia if you are not sure you can make the flight on the arranged date, pay for extra baggage, pay for meals and water if you need to eat and drink on the longer flights and don't be late for check-ins! It's a great airline, getting better and better all the time and adding on more and more destinations.

Thaksin has to recoup some of his money that the Thai government froze!

That will be your bank that gives you the poor exchange rate. There is only one Thai bank that does Dynamic Currency Conversion at the ATM. That is Bank of Ayudyha(yellow machines) with Mastercards. If you weren't using them, the problem is with your bank.

As to avoiding the 150 baht fee. Use AEON ATM machines.