Bangkok's Silom Road Turns Into Walking Street Fair

webfact

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sure also that most foreigners act in a way which encourages the term 'farang' to become derogatory.

The same goes v.v. - all of those "china man", "monkeys" or whatever I heard from farangs during my decades here.

some of us do not drink nor indulge in the carnality offered so openly here. That's not what every foreigner is about.

Did I talk about "some of" or "every"? Or did I say "average image" and "majority"? :)

Edited by alex_aka_P

who are some of these drones who always take the negative no matter what the topic on this site?

they slag off the thais yet they live here...if it's so sorry arse why do they stay?

i bet the reality is that they're nobodies at the bottom of the heap in their own countries, probably U.K so feel some sense of inflated self-importance here where it's only the money they spend on the "GF" etc that makes them feel a sense of false self importance.

The thais have their way of doing things but if you're always criticisinge then the burning question must be " why don't you leave?"

And this is the funniest post I have seen in years. 'Bottom of the heap' ... 'leave' ... all the old phrases to excuse a people who are unwilling to accept new ideas or cultural integration.

Remember when all the teachers here had to go on Thai Culture courses? Do the Thai teachers go on Other Cultures Courses? Oops. No.

There's nothing wrong with Thai people, but let's recognise the hype from the reality.

Why on earth are you talking about "funniest post I have seen in years?"

You just joined today ... or is this your snarly, grumpy old teacher alias?

What is school closed today so you have nothing else to do?

No other way to correct poeple's errors?

Your negativity is alarming

I hope your flight home leaves soon and on time

I live in Bangkok, but not in an area replete with alcohol and concomitant trades. I mention and report only the attitudes I know from people with whom I have spoken. I agree fully - if people do not like those areas of ill repute - don't go there. Move away. More than that - if you do not like Thai culture and attitudes - go home. The answer to the whiners and grumblers is so simple. Book your ticket.

Nothing is perfect and it is human nature to complain. So you cannot stop that.

But I agree there are a lot of complainers here (even you and me :D ) but this is what forums are for? Speaking out? :)

And it is wrong to say that every farang is the same .... VERY WRONG :D

Edited by Randee

You can, if you are German. But will you, if you are German? :)

You lost me.

Are you saying none of this is Thailand's fault?

Last I checked, minus some loony guy from Briton, it was Thai people fighting, looting and burning down the city. Someone is going to take the fall, who should it be if not Thailand?

Oh... oh... Nigerians. Yes, I'm cool with that. Those guys are always sending me emails saying I'm rich. I keep sending them the money they ask for but they never send me the money they promised me. Can't trust those guys. Easy to blame them for all this mess. No?

:D

who are some of these drones who always take the negative no matter what the topic on this site?

they slag off the thais yet they live here...if it's so sorry arse why do they stay?

i bet the reality is that they're nobodies at the bottom of the heap in their own countries, probably U.K so feel some sense of inflated self-importance here where it's only the money they spend on the "GF" etc that makes them feel a sense of false self importance.

The thais have their way of doing things but if you're always criticisinge then the burning question must be " why don't you leave?"

And this is the funniest post I have seen in years. 'Bottom of the heap' ... 'leave' ... all the old phrases to excuse a people who are unwilling to accept new ideas or cultural integration.

Remember when all the teachers here had to go on Thai Culture courses? Do the Thai teachers go on Other Cultures Courses? Oops. No.

There's nothing wrong with Thai people, but let's recognise the hype from the reality.

Why on earth are you talking about "funniest post I have seen in years?"

You just joined today ... or is this your snarly, grumpy old teacher alias?

What is school closed today so you have nothing else to do?

No other way to correct poeple's errors?

Your negativity is alarming

I hope your flight home leaves soon and on time

Dear old Lew. Always good with a few acrid comments. And as usual, misplaced. The comments to which I was referring were the usual old 'dregs of your own society' ones; the normal way for ill informed and ill educated people to try their feeble hardest to make a point. Your hyperbole is more than alarming. It is revealing.

In all fairness, ALL tourist destinations are not only suffering now, but are going to really feel the hit over the next 4 - 6 months. So long as they do not try to up the prices even more to in an attempt to compensate for their loss, I will continue to buy from some of these areas.

It's going to be a SLOOOOOOOW slow season.

You lost me.

Are you saying none of this is Thailand's fault?

Last I checked, minus some loony guy from Briton, it was Thai people fighting, looting and burning down the city. Someone is going to take the fall, who should it be if not Thailand?

Oh... oh... Nigerians. Yes, I'm cool with that. Those guys are always sending me emails saying I'm rich. I keep sending them the money they ask for but they never send me the money they promised me. Can't trust those guys. Easy to blame them for all this mess. No?

:D

:)

I live in Bangkok, but not in an area replete with alcohol and concomitant trades. I mention and report only the attitudes I know from people with whom I have spoken. I agree fully - if people do not like those areas of ill repute - don't go there. Move away. More than that - if you do not like Thai culture and attitudes - go home. The answer to the whiners and grumblers is so simple. Book your ticket.

Nothing is perfect and it is human nature to complain. So you cannot stop that.

But I agree there are a lot of complainers here (even you and me :D ) but this is what forums are for? Speaking out? :)

And it is wrong to say that every farang is the same .... VERY WRONG :D

Quite right. If all people were the same, wouldn't it be boringly homogenous.

Anyway! Enough of this amusing banter. I would suggest that anyone who has some free time should mosey on down to Silom and see what's there to be had. I would go myself but am at work, maybe I will try to dodge down there afterwards. Supporting the stall holders is a worthy and simply a 'nice' thing to do!

We all have fun here making snide comments but of course in reality, we are here because we want to be and cannot truly hate or despise the place. Hmm ... except for those dregs of course.

People expected to join walking street on Silom Rd to help affected operators

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Permanent Secretary for Commerce Yanyong Poungrat invites people to join the walking street, set at Silom Road with the hope to stimulate economy and assist business operators affected by political protest.

Mr Yanyong stated that the walking street had been set at Silom Rd to Narathiwat Rd during 28-29 May 2010, 10.00-19.00 hrs. More than 700 hundred booths of the protest affected operators will display their quality products on sale at low prices.

These operators are the affected group from the riot around Ratchaprasong, Pratunam, Victory Monument and Silom. The Commerce Ministry has provided the location at Impact Arena for some other 200 businesses as well with the cooperation from Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, the Royal Thai Police and the Tourism and Sports Ministry.

A throng of shoppers are expected at the event to help all operators to survive from this crisis. Hundred million THB are foreseen to circulate within this function.

I think this is a very nice move and deserves all the support possible.

Just turning up will be a demonstration of solidarity.

Solidarity with the working people of Bangkok.

Have something to eat, drink, spend a little.

And know you are in the right place.

Do it.

Why so many idiotic, hatred and childish comments here??

The people are REALLY affected. The busineeses are REALLY need support. And all of those workers are not the ones who made problems - now they just need to survive after the terror right below their windows. Those who dislike the red's actions - please just come and sue them, it is ANOTHER story for ANOTHER topic!

Talking about "bangkok should be back" - but very ironic in every step on this long way...??

A very nice "support" from all of you, yeah, who dare to call this land "a home"...

Shame on you all. Get back to your holes and dont bark on the wind, if unable to say something more meaningful.

Agree. Do folks really think they've said something innovative with comments like "The quality will probably be rubbish", and "the Thai's will just try to rip everyone off" etc etc.

You live here because you're weak negative attitude wasn't tolerated in your own country. You know who you are.

This comment and others like it do Thailand an injustice. Do you really think that Thailand is only able to attract the dregs of other societies? Shame on you if you value Thailand so little.

Perhaps you misunderstood Sir.

My comment was in reference to the folks who made silly, irrelevant comments knocking the Silom Road Fair.

Their perceived opinion of quality and price of the goods on offer are irrelevant to the intended purpose of the sales fair is my point, and my post was directed only at those who denigrate (but only from the security of behind their internet connection) issues for no reason other than to get the miniscule thrill that comes with being the profit of doom.

Nowhere did I say Thailand attracts only western dregs. :)

People expected to join walking street on Silom Rd to help affected operators

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Permanent Secretary for Commerce Yanyong Poungrat invites people to join the walking street, set at Silom Road with the hope to stimulate economy and assist business operators affected by political protest.

Mr Yanyong stated that the walking street had been set at Silom Rd to Narathiwat Rd during 28-29 May 2010, 10.00-19.00 hrs. More than 700 hundred booths of the protest affected operators will display their quality products on sale at low prices.

These operators are the affected group from the riot around Ratchaprasong, Pratunam, Victory Monument and Silom. The Commerce Ministry has provided the location at Impact Arena for some other 200 businesses as well with the cooperation from Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, the Royal Thai Police and the Tourism and Sports Ministry.

A throng of shoppers are expected at the event to help all operators to survive from this crisis. Hundred million THB are foreseen to circulate within this function.

I think this is a very nice move and deserves all the support possible.

Just turning up will be a demonstration of solidarity.

Solidarity with the working people of Bangkok.

Have something to eat, drink, spend a little.

And know you are in the right place.

Do it.

Yes! I urge people to get up there if they can and support the event.

The people are REALLY affected. The busineeses are REALLY need support. And all of those workers are not the ones who made problems - now they just need to survive after the terror right below their windows. Those who dislike the red's actions - please just come and sue them, it is ANOTHER story for ANOTHER topic!

Talking about "bangkok should be back" - but very ironic in every step on this long way...??

A very nice "support" from all of you, yeah, who dare to call this land "a home"...

Shame on you all. Get back to your holes and dont bark on the wind, if unable to say something more meaningful.

Agree. Do folks really think they've said something innovative with comments like "The quality will probably be rubbish", and "the Thai's will just try to rip everyone off" etc etc.

You live here because you're weak negative attitude wasn't tolerated in your own country. You know who you are.

This comment and others like it do Thailand an injustice. Do you really think that Thailand is only able to attract the dregs of other societies? Shame on you if you value Thailand so little.

Perhaps you misunderstood Sir.

My comment was in reference to the folks who made silly, irrelevant comments knocking the Silom Road Fair.

Their perceived opinion of quality and price of the goods on offer are irrelevant to the intended purpose of the sales fair is my point, and my post was directed only at those who denigrate (but only from the security of behind their internet connection) issues for no reason other than to get the miniscule thrill that comes with being the profit of doom.

Nowhere did I say Thailand attracts only western dregs. :D

Apology accepted. :)

Edited by DocJohnnie99

I couldn't agree more !!!

the typical pathetic Farang moaners, whose brains have been severely damaged by consuming too many CHANG and SINGHA every day !

many of the vendors at Silom today are supposed to be from the SIAM SQUARE area, and there are a lot of STYLISH and UP-TO-DATE fashion shops or art and artist's products to be had usually.

Apart from that, today is one of the very rare days where I am even receptive to buy some "knick-knack", just to support those people affected by redshirt-hooligans.

I am OFF to Silom in less than one hour, stopping at Queen Sirikhit Center for the BANGKOK POST TRAVEL FAIR on the way, and I would be more than happy to see very few of those ridiculous Farang moaners, instead see many smiling faces of local residents, visiting tourists and of course, vendors, all with a "YES WE CAN - REBUILD BANGKOK AND IT'S REPUTATION" - attitude.

KHOR HAI CHOK DEE THUK KHON THAI !

Quite right! I couldn't agree more too! But let's not forget that some of the workers were involved and the rest did nothing to dissuade the protesters. It's great to think we can help rebuild the slightly damaged city (and for goodness's sake - it is slight) - but wouldn't it be nice if the whole world could rely on others to repair their countries when they themselves wrecked it in the first place?

Could not agree more! Send all the moaners home to their wonderful countries. Beats me why they stay in such a hellhole anyway

Go to Silom Road today spend a few bucks and support the vendors, vehicle traffic should be light with the holiday.

Nice idea. Spend a few MORE 'bucks' than the Thais are charged, do you mean? Spend maybe triple the price, now that they have to make up for their people's actions? Hmmm ... I think I will stay at home and let the tourists be ripped off even more than normal.

Why always so negative ? :)

Ask help from people you respect !

Surely not the farang !

And as long they call me farang ,

i call them "china-man"

For the rest i dont interfere with politics,

get a life or work.

Then maybe you should piss of back to where you once came from, it seems that no matter what Thailand does to help improve things there will always be the self centred ex pat that have nothing better to do but complain go home if you dont like it me I love Thailand

You lost me.

Dont even think of this. :)

Are you saying none of this is Thailand's fault?Last I checked, minus some loony guy from Briton, it was Thai people fighting, looting and burning down the city. Someone is going to take the fall, who should it be if not Thailand?

Yes, it is not Thailand's fault - but it is a Thailand's RIGHT. Yes, to burn their roads\malls - the way it goes in every country on this world.

It is crazy, yes - but ti is their way to live their lives. And it is NOT OUR right to judge them. Our right is only the ticking only one mark on "take it or leave it" statement.

And if you (yes - you personally) chose to take it - so be it. That was YOUR choise to come here, stay here and act here. Dont cry and be a part of this life. Someone (whoever!) left YOUR city in ruins? So it is our duty and honour to rebuild it even better than it was. The reason is simple: if not we [as a population of Bangkok] - than goddamn WHO??

Still wanna get beatiful peaceful city without any action from your [personal] side? Still wanna cry out loud? Your ticket back home is waiting for you at the nearest Lufthanza's booth (it is a German carrier, isnt it?), back to another place of the world, and adios muchacho...and the whole story will come to the very beginning of the next spin. :D

That's all what I have to say about it.

Edited by alex_aka_P

Yes, it is not Thailand's fault - but it is a Thailand's RIGHT. Yes, to burn their roads\malls - the way it goes in every country on this world.

It is crazy, yes - but ti is their way to live their lives. And it is NOT OUR right to judge them. Our right is only the ticking only one mark on "take it or leave it" statement.

That's all what I have to say about it.

If it is Thailand's RIGHT then why are they being arrested detained and prosecuted by the authorities? Why is Thaksin facing terrorist charges??

Your statement is nonsense :D:D:)