Bangkok's Silom Road Turns Into Walking Street Fair

webfact

Keep blaming Thailand today while you are in Thailand

Shall we blame... Germany?

Agree lets start blame Germany and maybe they have a solution for all the SH#$T what is going on here :)

They have some experience with cleaning after a period of troubles.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW! I couldn't believe my eyes! The whole of Silom Rd. was ABSOLUTELY PACKED! Not just with thousands and thousands of people, but with hundreds of stalls. Four banks of stalls - one on each kerb and a double-sided one in the centre verge - ran all the way from Rama 4 to at least Narathiwas Rd! In between these tightly packed lines of stalls, on the actual road, there was barely room to swing your elbows, while being carried along by a stream of people squeezed in between. I was astonished at several things, none of which made me particularly happy:

Indeed the number of stalls in Silom far out did the number of actual people affected by the burning and looting, the majority of these people were just jumping on the band wagon, opportunists.

Unfortunately this backs up my previous post about goods being of a low quality and having a high price, like your snack for instance. Thais never know when to stop the over charging thing, if I had been you, I would have asked the girl the price, then when she said B60, I would have pointed out that the Thai had paid B30, and then politely would have told her to stick it up her ? and walked off.

Safer to go to 7/11, at least the darn prices are shown and apply to everyone.

I got bored with this rip off thing years ago, so if anyone dares ask me for more than the normal going price then I get rude and finally walk off.

What do some of these people think, that I have come here to personally proper up the economy.

Having spent 8 years in Cambodia, I'm no newbie to Asia, and have had many very pleasant trips to Thailand - as a tourist and client (on work trips). I've now lived in Bangkok for 11 months and I must confess, I am seeing more and more every week I live here of a quite different complexion to Thailand than all the years I'd visited before. The duplicity I find 'popping up' on a regular basis is really starting to erode the love and respect I'd always had for Thais the many years before.

I live in Silom and had a walk down my soi to see how things were going at the "Together We Can" 'Walking Street Fair'. I have had plenty of sympathy for the small business and working Thais that would have suffered loss or damage these last 2 months, so I went down there thinking I hope they're getting something from this...

WOW! I couldn't believe my eyes! The whole of Silom Rd. was ABSOLUTELY PACKED! Not just with thousands and thousands of people, but with hundreds of stalls. Four banks of stalls - one on each kerb and a double-sided one in the centre verge - ran all the way from Rama 4 to at least Narathiwas Rd! In between these tightly packed lines of stalls, on the actual road, there was barely room to swing your elbows, while being carried along by a stream of people squeezed in between. I was astonished at several things, none of which made me particularly happy:

- There was plenty of effort put into putting up the stalls but I could see absolutely no consideration given to the safety/risk factors of having hardly any access or egress in between them.

- Thousands of people, yet no police or medical services to be seen

- Hundreds and hundreds of sellers, yet, I cannot possibly imagine more than half would have been possibly been ones that would have been from areas especially affected/damaged such as Siam square - which was what the whole thing was 'sold' as being in 'aid' of. So I can only suppose a large number were there knowing it would be a great opportunity to cash in on the 'national unity' charity sentiment the event was marketed as.

- Yes the vast majority of people there were Thais - one would guess well intentioned and looking to help out their adversely affected countrymen - but the majority of the vendors didn't look very adversely affected (unlike the ones I saw at the temporary stalls at Siam Square on Friday). They certainly would have had a MAJOR boost from the numbers there today! But the Thais I saw there looking to be customers to the 'needy' vendors, mostly looked like not very well-off average urban Thai people themselves, so probably of the ones 'giving' their custom didn't have a lot to spare themselves.

- I came to the end of the soi I live on (piphat) - after being buffeted and bumped and having my feet trod on by the stupidly packed-in crowd for the 150m or so I'd walked from Soi Convent - to find the *whole* of the street was blocked off by a tent! Barely 60cm was left unblocked - between a building wall and a telephone pole - for a constant stream of people to *try* to squeeze through! To make it even more ridiculous, there wasn't even hardly anyone in/using the bloody tent!!!???

And, the crowning glory: - Before I'd got stuck in the 'lemming' pack, I'd stood in line to get a sausage/meat snack, the kind of sausage on a stick thing i'd normally expect to pay between 15-20 baht for. I'd heard a Thai guy in front of me being charged "samsip" baht, then (accepting, begrudgingly, but still accepting, the 'slight' hike up from the usual price) I asked for the same (pointing) and asked in gesture and mouthed English "how much?"; to which the vendor replied "sixty baht" in English, while holding up six fingers. Then she firmly repeated it again, "sixty baht!", while I'd kind of looked at her a bit confused... err!? My patience already thin, I replied "hoksip baht!? Mai samsip?" whereupon she giggled in that now increasingly annoying way and then started nodding agreement to the latter figure, avoiding my eyes, as she put the snack in a bag. I then raised just one finger at her and laughed back! "f*@k - off!"

I ask you!?

I check the mirror every day at least once, just in case I've somehow missed some kind of subtle mark or tattoo on my head that might read "stupid" or "mug"!

I know it's not everyone, it can't possibly be, i still have some threads of faith left... but I must confess, I become more and more jaded about the "pretence" I come across so increasingly and which I find so unpalatable here. I must also admit, I only have a couple of Thai friends as yet. But, the really sad thing is, I find myself questioning even their sincerity more and more as i wonder if they really just humour me most of the time - glad to have a few 'trophy' farang friends on their list. Though they speak excellent English (so the language barrier is negligible), they avoid or deflect any kind of contentious or awkward questions I ask of them.

Awfully cynical and bitter as all that sounds, i really hope to be proven wrong - significantly and soon! I'm not one that can accept artifice and duplicty too easily, and need some hardcore, laid-bare honesty and sincerity to offset it and temper my frustration... where do i find that in Bangkok then?

:)

You have said this perfectly and brought about a MAJOR point and hitting many nails on the head.

And so true about the increasingly annoying Thai grin.

Well done for posting this. You have made the point perfectly.

You have my backing 100% in fact I want YOU as the next Thai Prime minister!

Indeed the number of stalls in Silom far out did the number of actual people affected by the burning and looting, the majority of these people were just jumping on the band wagon, opportunists.

Unfortunately this backs up my previous post about goods being of a low quality and having a high price, like your snack for instance. Thais never know when to stop the over charging thing, if I had been you, I would have asked the girl the price, then when she said B60, I would have pointed out that the Thai had paid B30, and then politely would have told her to stick it up her ? and walked off.

Safer to go to 7/11, at least the darn prices are shown and apply to everyone.

I got bored with this rip off thing years ago, so if anyone dares ask me for more than the normal going price then I get rude and finally walk off.

What do some of these people think, that I have come here to personally proper up the economy.

Once again Hawk I am 100% in agreement with you.

Where I am isn't at all touristy, a farang is a rarity.

it's all Thai normal folk and I'm able to buy stuff here without them trying it on.

and eat and drink in cheap Thai cafes and bars. They're good "honest Thais" and normal family folk.

but so many other places take the <deleted> p*ss

and I refuse to do business with any of them. I do all my shopping at 7/11s and Tesco Lotus.

I'm sick of my good feeling being suddenly replaced by anger and despise when I try to do shopping

and I find I'm doing business with a scammer.

Having spent 8 years in Cambodia, I'm no newbie to Asia, and have had many very pleasant trips to Thailand - as a tourist and client (on work trips). I've now lived in Bangkok for 11 months and I must confess, I am seeing more and more every week I live here of a quite different complexion to Thailand than all the years I'd visited before. The duplicity I find 'popping up' on a regular basis is really starting to erode the love and respect I'd always had for Thais the many years before.

I live in Silom and had a walk down my soi to see how things were going at the "Together We Can" 'Walking Street Fair'. I have had plenty of sympathy for the small business and working Thais that would have suffered loss or damage these last 2 months, so I went down there thinking I hope they're getting something from this...

- There was plenty of effort put into putting up the stalls but I could see absolutely no consideration given to the safety/risk factors of having hardly any access or egress in between them.

- Thousands of people, yet no police or medical services to be seen

- Hundreds and hundreds of sellers, yet, I cannot possibly imagine more than half would have been possibly been ones that would have been from areas especially affected/damaged such as Siam square - which was what the whole thing was 'sold' as being in 'aid' of. So I can only suppose a large number were there knowing it would be a great opportunity to cash in on the 'national unity' charity sentiment the event was marketed as.

- Yes the vast majority of people there were Thais - one would guess well intentioned and looking to help out their adversely affected countrymen - but the majority of the vendors didn't look very adversely affected (unlike the ones I saw at the temporary stalls at Siam Square on Friday). They certainly would have had a MAJOR boost from the numbers there today! But the Thais I saw there looking to be customers to the 'needy' vendors, mostly looked like not very well-off average urban Thai people themselves, so probably of the ones 'giving' their custom didn't have a lot to spare themselves.

- I came to the end of the soi I live on (piphat) - after being buffeted and bumped and having my feet trod on by the stupidly packed-in crowd for the 150m or so I'd walked from Soi Convent - to find the *whole* of the street was blocked off by a tent! Barely 60cm was left unblocked - between a building wall and a telephone pole - for a constant stream of people to *try* to squeeze through! To make it even more ridiculous, there wasn't even hardly anyone in/using the bloody tent!!!???

And, the crowning glory: - Before I'd got stuck in the 'lemming' pack, I'd stood in line to get a sausage/meat snack, the kind of sausage on a stick thing i'd normally expect to pay between 15-20 baht for. I'd heard a Thai guy in front of me being charged "samsip" baht, then (accepting, begrudgingly, but still accepting, the 'slight' hike up from the usual price) I asked for the same (pointing) and asked in gesture and mouthed English "how much?"; to which the vendor replied "sixty baht" in English, while holding up six fingers. Then she firmly repeated it again, "sixty baht!", while I'd kind of looked at her a bit confused... err!? My patience already thin, I replied "hoksip baht!? Mai samsip?" whereupon she giggled in that now increasingly annoying way and then started nodding agreement to the latter figure, avoiding my eyes, as she put the snack in a bag. I then raised just one finger at her and laughed back! "f*@k - off!"

I ask you!?

I check the mirror every day at least once, just in case I've somehow missed some kind of subtle mark or tattoo on my head that might read "stupid" or "mug"!

I know it's not everyone, it can't possibly be, i still have some threads of faith left... but I must confess, I become more and more jaded about the "pretence" I come across so increasingly and which I find so unpalatable here. I must also admit, I only have a couple of Thai friends as yet. But, the really sad thing is, I find myself questioning even their sincerity more and more as i wonder if they really just humour me most of the time - glad to have a few 'trophy' farang friends on their list. Though they speak excellent English (so the language barrier is negligible), they avoid or deflect any kind of contentious or awkward questions I ask of them.

Awfully cynical and bitter as all that sounds, i really hope to be proven wrong - significantly and soon! I'm not one that can accept artifice and duplicty too easily, and need some hardcore, laid-bare honesty and sincerity to offset it and temper my frustration... where do i find that in Bangkok then?

You have said this perfectly and brought about a MAJOR point and hitting many nails on the head.

And so true about the increasingly annoying Thai grin.

Well done for posting this. You have made the point perfectly.

You have my backing 100% in fact I want YOU as the next Thai Prime minister!

Not really. He's obviously unaware of the fact that haggling is a part of Thai culture, especially in marketplaces. If he doesn't understand how to haggle or deal with 'outrageous prices' then he has the freedom to shop somewhere else. Then again, flicking off a shopkeeper who's desperate to make back the money he's lost because of the redshirts doesn't earn him any merit points either. He's pretty much just a giant tool for doing so.

Not really. He's obviously unaware of the fact that haggling is a part of Thai culture, especially in marketplaces. If he doesn't understand how to haggle or deal with 'outrageous prices' then he has the freedom to shop somewhere else. Then again, flicking off a shopkeeper who's desperate to make back the money he's lost because of the redshirts doesn't earn him any merit points either. He's pretty much just a giant tool for doing so.

YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAGGLE OVER SAUSAGES ON STICKS! :)

Says who? The guy you quoted didn't even try. I would have told the guy I'm not paying more than 30. If he won't drop the price it's a missed sale for him, who cares? The guy next to him will easily sell it to you for a quick profit. If you want to have an impact on his pricing then show it with your wallet and spending power by not buying from him, smiling and moving on, not by acting like a juvenile punk who throws around rude gestures. Doing things like that makes you look like an idiot, not the guy who's trying to rip you off, and in the end has zero impact because hey, it instantly justifies his blatantly high pricing.

Says who? The guy you quoted didn't even try. I would have told the guy I'm not paying more than 30. If he won't drop the price it's a missed sale for him, who cares? The guy next to him will easily sell it to you for a quick profit. If you want to have an impact on his pricing then show it with your wallet and spending power by not buying from him, smiling and moving on, not by acting like a juvenile punk who throws around rude gestures. Doing things like that makes you look like an idiot, not the guy who's trying to rip you off, and in the end has zero impact because hey, it instantly justifies his blatantly high pricing.

it sounds like the whole episode was very stressful, all he wanted to do was get home.

that was probably the last straw that made him lose his temper. im guilty of that sometimes.

i take your point about haggling and making an impact etc. i didnt go near the place intentionally for all the reasons he mentioned.

and i try my hardest to avoid haggling situations because ive got better things to do with my time and

im too impatient to do petty haggling. i only buy from places that display prices.

but as for haggling over a sausage how freakin ridiculous is that!!!! Look how ridiculous it sounds!!

"Haggling over a sausage" :D

it sounds like the whole episode was very stressful, all he wanted to do was get home.

that was probably the last straw that made him lose his temper. im guilty of that sometimes.

i take your point about haggling and making an impact etc. i didnt go near the place intentionally for all the reasons he mentioned.

and i try my hardest to avoid haggling situations because ive got better things to do with my time and

im too impatient to do petty haggling. i only buy from places that display prices.

but as for haggling over a sausage how freakin ridiculous is that!!!! Look how ridiculous it sounds!!

"Haggling over a sausage" :D

To be fair, I have seen people haggle over stuff less valuable and over an amount as minimal as 5 baht. Like I said earlier, the guy is probably desperate to flip a profit after last month. I'm sure he doesn't enjoy it either but he must feel it necessary. I can't say that I've ever been super overcharged on food before. Maybe in amounts of 5 baht but never double. That comes across as a drastic measure to me.

"Haggling over a sausage" :)

To be fair, I have seen people haggle over stuff less valuable and over an amount as minimal as 5 baht. Like I said earlier, the guy is probably desperate to flip a profit after last month. I'm sure he doesn't enjoy it either but he must feel it necessary. I can't say that I've ever been super overcharged on food before. Maybe in amounts of 5 baht but never double. That comes across as a drastic measure to me.

It's outragious! and sure enough he got outraged.

Edited by Randee

Ha yeah! Why that's almost as riduculous as flipping someone the bird over a 60 baht sausage that no one's forcing you to buy.

@dttk0009 - see the first line of my post ( "Having spent 8 years in Cambodia, I'm no newbie to Asia"),

so I'm "obviously" *NOT* "unaware of the fact that haggling is a part of Thai culture, especially in marketplaces" if I've lived in S.E. Asia for nearly 10 years!! Do you haggle for *everything* you ever buy while here?

And while I have never personally enjoyed haggling for prices in any part of the world where I've been that it's prevalent, I do understand and accept the practice. However, one of the basic premises is usually, don't bother trying to fool the buyer too much if it's clear they already know the going price and your product very well! Otherwise you'll likely lose the sale completely. Having seen the guy in front of me *not* even haggle in order to pay an already above average price of 30 baht, how much sense does it make for the vendor to then even try to double that? I have eyes and ears and I'm stood right there! It's a total insult to any person (whatever nationality, culture etc) to act as though I should be stupid enough to just go with being charged double what the guy next to me, just that second, paid.

That's all on top of the point by Randee, that yes, it's pretty ridiculous being told you should expect haggling over a sausage :)

I have, of course, many times successfully bought sausages (or other various street snacks) in Thailand, not to mention noodle and rice dishes... yet I have NEVER, EVER, in nearly 10 years, felt it necessary or commonplace to haggle over such items.

So please don't patronise me by telling me I should as though I don't know any better.

@dttk0009 - see the first line of my post ( "Having spent 8 years in Cambodia, I'm no newbie to Asia"),

so I'm "obviously" *NOT* "unaware of the fact that haggling is a part of Thai culture, especially in marketplaces" if I've lived in S.E. Asia for nearly 10 years!! Do you haggle for *everything* you ever buy while here?

And while I have never personally enjoyed haggling for prices in any part of the world where I've been that it's prevalent, I do understand and accept the practice. However, one of the basic premises is usually, don't bother trying to fool the buyer too much if it's clear they already know the going price and your product very well! Otherwise you'll likely lose the sale completely. Having seen the guy in front of me *not* even haggle in order to pay an already above average price of 30 baht, how much sense does it make for the vendor to then even try to double that? I have eyes and ears and I'm stood right there! It's a total insult to any person (whatever nationality, culture etc) to act as though I should be stupid enough to just go with being charged double what the guy next to me, just that second, paid.

That's all on top of the point by Randee, that yes, it's pretty ridiculous being told you should expect haggling over a sausage :)

I have, of course, many times successfully bought sausages (or other various street snacks) in Thailand, not to mention noodle and rice dishes... yet I have NEVER, EVER, in nearly 10 years, felt it necessary or commonplace to haggle over such items.

So please don't patronise me by telling me I should as though I don't know any better.

I'm not patronising you, I just think your response to the vendor was over the top. Not to mention that behavior like that can get you into serious trouble in Thailand, especially now when everyone's still emotionally on edge. Typically I would have ignored a comment like yours but someone actually commended your actions so I had to give my 2 cents. Just doesn't seem like an appropriate, mature response to being ripped off to me. That's all.

Ha yeah! Why that's almost as riduculous as flipping someone the bird over a 60 baht sausage that no one's forcing you to buy.

Errr, correction, it was a 15 baht sausage, being sold for 60 baht.

I'm not bothered at all about it if i can see that it's an expensive price for what's being sold, in advance.

But the way it was actually done, is as insulting to me as someone saying to your face "you are stupid! And ignorant. So watch while I screw you! ha, ha, ha."

I did smile as I flipped a finger by the way! Isn't that the way it's best done? :D

"Not to mention that behavior like that can get you into serious trouble in Thailand"

again, you patronise me. As though I've no idea about the differences in culture in this part of the world!?

An appropriate, mature response to being ripped off is what?

To be happy about being ripped off?

To *pretend* to be happy about being ripped off?

To walk away as though you weren't ripped off?

I kind of usually do go for the last one, but on this occasion, I thought the insult to me was especially obvious, so I returned a small part of that in a small gesture!

Edited by damaja

Personally it's all become about where you buy your things. It used to be that you could get a bargain at certain places or pay 10% more somewhere else.

Nowadays you can go to Suan Lum, MBK or even Jatujak or JJ Mall and be asked to pay 10 times the price that it is in Pratunam or Platinum Mall. If Your Thai wife intervenes, she gets bad mouthed.

I don't even bother with PatPong market for these reasons and the fact that I'd rather not be there or be seen there at all.

Happy to support Thai business. Opposed to being ripped off.

"Not to mention that behavior like that can get you into serious trouble in Thailand"

again, you patronise me. As though I've no idea about the differences in culture in this part of the world!?

I kind of usually do go for the last one, but on this occasion, I thought the insult to me was especially obvious, so I returned a small part of that in a small gesture!

I guess I would interpret a mature response as saying 'Sorry, that's too expensive for me.' or simply saying nothing and moving on. Sorry if I don't find you bird flipping appropriate. And again, I'm not patronising you. I understand you have experience in this corner of the globe as a resident. Don't think that I'm being condescending when I'm merely pointing out the obvious.

I guess I would interpret a mature response as saying 'Sorry, that's too expensive for me.' or simply saying nothing and moving on. Sorry if I don't find you bird flipping appropriate. And again, I'm not patronising you. I understand you have experience in this corner of the globe as a resident. Don't think that I'm being condescending when I'm merely pointing out the obvious.

Ok, I would normally agree, but I believe you had to be there to appreciate the context and the OTT audacity (not to mention stupidity - when there are literally dozens of other vendors nearby selling the exact same products) of the vendor, which I took as an affront. Probably (in fact almost definitely) in a different context, I would have simply laughed at them and moved on to buy at the next vendor.

By the way, regarding this whole "you should expect prices to be 'flexible' in Thailand/Asia" topic, I would argue it's simply a sign of an immature economy; as it was common practice in many other now major capitalist economies around the World, centuries ago. But here, the paradox is that parts of the economy are modernised and follow free market principles, while others are not. Why, is a much broader and complex question. Recent events, I believe, would be linked to it. But then, we are just talking about "a sausage" aren't we?

Ok, I would normally agree, but I believe you had to be there to appreciate the context and the OTT audacity (not to mention stupidity - when there are literally dozens of other vendors nearby selling the exact same products) of the vendor, which I took as an affront. Probably (in fact almost definitely) in a different context, I would have simply laughed at them and moved on to buy at the next vendor.

By the way, regarding this whole "you should expect prices to be 'flexible' in Thailand/Asia" topic, I would argue it's simply a sign of an immature economy; as it was common practice in many other now major capitalist economies around the World, centuries ago. But here, the paradox is that parts of the economy are modernised and follow free market principles, while others are not. Why, is a much broader and complex question. Recent events, I believe, would be linked to it. But then, we are just talking about "a sausage" aren't we?

I suppose. At this point it is much ado about nothing. There are instances when you can really find yourself angry over overpricing (like when motorcycle taxis charge double for 'traffic') and you're pretty much screwed because you actually HAVE to pay the guy. Either way, I don't want to derail the thread further. Sorry if I came off as patronising.

When the prices are "outrageous" there is simply NO point in haggling is there, doc?

And how many sausage vendors lost their trolleys in the fire I wonder? Methinks none at all.

The trouble with some foreigners is that they think its okay to haggle over the price of just about anything as they are told haggling is a part of Thai culture.

Haggling over a sausage, that's a great idea. Do you think its okay to offer them one baht, or should I offer two baht?

Perhaps I will go to Big C and haggle for a plasma TV, offer them 20 baht.

Funnily enough, I actually can understand and even accept (infuriating though it can be) when the motorbike taxis and tuk-tuks charge more when the traffic is bad. That seems to me to be more sensible and in line with demand/supply elasticity principles than situations like this.

But yes, when you know the benchmark and range of elasticity already, but are asked to pay an "outrageous" premium (disregarding a situation of low demand, excessive supply, or low 'production' cost), it merely indicates either the ignorance of the seller or the assumption by the seller of the utter stupidity of the customer.

Slap in the face, anyone?

The trouble with some foreigners is that they think its okay to haggle over the price of just about anything as they are told haggling is a part of Thai culture.

Haggling over a sausage, that's a great idea. Do you think its okay to offer them one baht, or should I offer two baht?

Perhaps I will go to Big C and haggle for a plasma TV, offer them 20 baht.

Funny! And couldn't agree more!

And also, has anyone ever seen Thai people haggle over the price of street snacks? I never have.

Come to think of it, I've never seen Thai people haggle over the price of food at a noodle stall either. Nor at coffee stalls....

Edited by damaja

And also, has anyone ever seen Thai people haggle over the price of street snacks? I never have.

Come to think of it, I've never seen Thai people haggle over the price of food at a noodle stall either. Nor at coffee stalls....

Of course not, no Thai haggles over a sausage or a plate of fried rice, and many stalls in the markets are strictly fixed prices these days.

Why so many idiotic, hatred and childish comments here??

The people are REALLY affected. The busineeses are REALLY need support. And all of those workers are not the ones who made problems - now they just need to survive after the terror right below their windows. Those who dislike the red's actions - please just come and sue them, it is ANOTHER story for ANOTHER topic!

Talking about "bangkok should be back" - but very ironic in every step on this long way...??

A very nice "support" from all of you, yeah, who dare to call this land "a home"...

Shame on you all. Get back to your holes and dont bark on the wind, if unable to say something more meaningful.

I couldn't agree more !!!

the typical pathetic Farang moaners, whose brains have been severely damaged by consuming too many CHANG and SINGHA every day !

many of the vendors at Silom today are supposed to be from the SIAM SQUARE area, and there are a lot of STYLISH and UP-TO-DATE fashion shops or art and artist's products to be had usually.

Apart from that, today is one of the very rare days where I am even receptive to buy some "knick-knack", just to support those people affected by redshirt-hooligans.

I am OFF to Silom in less than one hour, stopping at Queen Sirikhit Center for the BANGKOK POST TRAVEL FAIR on the way, and I would be more than happy to see very few of those ridiculous Farang moaners, instead see many smiling faces of local residents, visiting tourists and of course, vendors, all with a "YES WE CAN - REBUILD BANGKOK AND IT'S REPUTATION" - attitude.

KHOR HAI CHOK DEE THUK KHON THAI !

Ah............... things seem to be heading back to "normal". "FALANG" is spoken.

Happy shopping.

Truly nothing personal, my well educated friend:

It's only a suggestion: save your money,travel to the other side of the world,alone,out of your comfort zone,where you don't speak the language, somewhere the country really doesn't want you, in fact is actually aggressive towards you,where you are hassled endlessly about your visa,where the taxi's will rip you off for as much as possible, EVERY TIME,where you are charged 2-3 times normal value FOR EVERYTHING because you

are you, and it's a national passtime to steal from anyone who is unsuspecting or trusting,where the flimsy corrupt laws are broken to harass and intimidate you ( the visitor),where you are GUILTY, until PROVEN innocent,where bribes are so ingrained , on a national level,it is impossible to have order without them,where cold blooded premeditated murders are daily occurrences,and go unpublished in any newspaper,where xenophobic racism is rampant,where you have no civil rights,where women will throw themselves at you as prostitutes,supported by the local and national authorities,then blame you for your actions,where kidnappings are daily occurrences,where the locals kill tourists by the score,"by accident"and go unpunished ,where disease goes unchecked,where poor children have no vaccines ,where alcohol is the national drug, where you can be killed by a local drunk driver,and your family will be fined because you were"in the way",where your dead body will be held ransom to your family by the authorities,where you can't own you own land,after being scammed by unscrupulous illegal real estate operations,with beautiful beaches,world class scuba diving centers, and powerful drug mafias,where the military owns the government , assassinates it's opponents, rig elections,where there is no middle class,poverty is the norm ($7usd/day income).......................................... then post another thread.

Thats right........................................ MEXICO !!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D:D

I think I'm off to have an ice cold Carta Blanca , burn off those last 3-4 pathetic brain cells i have left.

Hasta luego, y, via con Dios, Mi ( misinformed ) Amigo.

Oh, and good luck with rebuilding that .................. " Bangkok's reputation "..................... thing.

Why so many idiotic, hatred and childish comments here??

The people are REALLY affected. The busineeses are REALLY need support. And all of those workers are not the ones who made problems - now they just need to survive after the terror right below their windows. Those who dislike the red's actions - please just come and sue them, it is ANOTHER story for ANOTHER topic!

Talking about "bangkok should be back" - but very ironic in every step on this long way...??

A very nice "support" from all of you, yeah, who dare to call this land "a home"...

Shame on you all. Get back to your holes and dont bark on the wind, if unable to say something more meaningful.

I couldn't agree more !!!

the typical pathetic Farang moaners, whose brains have been severely damaged by consuming too many CHANG and SINGHA every day !

many of the vendors at Silom today are supposed to be from the SIAM SQUARE area, and there are a lot of STYLISH and UP-TO-DATE fashion shops or art and artist's products to be had usually.

Apart from that, today is one of the very rare days where I am even receptive to buy some "knick-knack", just to support those people affected by redshirt-hooligans.

I am OFF to Silom in less than one hour, stopping at Queen Sirikhit Center for the BANGKOK POST TRAVEL FAIR on the way, and I would be more than happy to see very few of those ridiculous Farang moaners, instead see many smiling faces of local residents, visiting tourists and of course, vendors, all with a "YES WE CAN - REBUILD BANGKOK AND IT'S REPUTATION" - attitude.

KHOR HAI CHOK DEE THUK KHON THAI !

Ah............... things seem to be heading back to "normal". "FALANG" is spoken.

Happy shopping.

Truly nothing personal, my well educated friend:

It's only a suggestion: save your money,travel to the other side of the world,alone,out of your comfort zone,where you don't speak the language, somewhere the country really doesn't want you, in fact is actually aggressive towards you,where you are hassled endlessly about your visa,where the taxi's will rip you off for as much as possible, EVERY TIME,where you are charged 2-3 times normal value FOR EVERYTHING because you

are you, and it's a national passtime to steal from anyone who is unsuspecting or trusting,where the flimsy corrupt laws are broken to harass and intimidate you ( the visitor),where you are GUILTY, until PROVEN innocent,where bribes are so ingrained , on a national level,it is impossible to have order without them,where cold blooded premeditated murders are daily occurrences,and go unpublished in any newspaper,where xenophobic racism is rampant,where you have no civil rights,where women will throw themselves at you as prostitutes,supported by the local and national authorities,then blame you for your actions,where kidnappings are daily occurrences,where the locals kill tourists by the score,"by accident"and go unpunished ,where disease goes unchecked,where poor children have no vaccines ,where alcohol is the national drug, where you can be killed by a local drunk driver,and your family will be fined because you were"in the way",where your dead body will be held ransom to your family by the authorities,where you can't own you own land,after being scammed by unscrupulous illegal real estate operations,with beautiful beaches,world class scuba diving centers, and powerful drug mafias,where the military owns the government , assassinates it's opponents, rig elections,where there is no middle class,poverty is the norm ($7usd/day income).......................................... then post another thread.

Thats right........................................ MEXICO !!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D:D

I think I'm off to have an ice cold Carta Blanca , burn off those last 3-4 pathetic brain cells i have left.

Hasta luego, y, via con Dios, Mi ( misinformed ) Amigo.

Oh, and good luck with rebuilding that .................. " Bangkok's reputation "..................... thing.

post-95869-1275255289.gif