Bangkok's Silom Road Turns Into Walking Street Fair

webfact

Why so many idiotic, hatred and childish comments here??

The people are REALLY affected. The busineeses are REALLY need support. And all of those workers are not the ones who made problems - now they just need to survive after the terror right below their windows. Those who dislike the red's actions - please just come and sue them, it is ANOTHER story for ANOTHER topic!

Talking about "bangkok should be back" - but very ironic in every step on this long way...??

A very nice "support" from all of you, yeah, who dare to call this land "a home"...

Shame on you all. Get back to your holes and dont bark on the wind, if unable to say something more meaningful.

Agree. Do folks really think they've said something innovative with comments like "The quality will probably be rubbish", and "the Thai's will just try to rip everyone off" etc etc.

You live here because you're weak negative attitude wasn't tolerated in your own country. You know who you are.

This comment and others like it do Thailand an injustice. Do you really think that Thailand is only able to attract the dregs of other societies? Shame on you if you value Thailand so little.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh be quiet, you ignorant racist. Firstly, if it wasn't for foreigners, Thailand would be worse off than Cambodia, secondly don't you dare even suggest that Thais can teach good English. Their awful mistakes have been passed down from generations of Thai teachers who can't speak correct English. Thirdly, Silom fair is for EVERYONE, not just narrow-minded "stuck in the 1500s" little facists like you. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!!

Who famously said

" We don't need help from westerners, Thai people can help themselves"

and also said

" We don,t need foreigners to teach our children, Thai teachers can teach English themselves"

Silom Fair is for Thai people, Falangs go home we don't want your criticism

Who famously said

and also said

" We don,t need foreigners to teach our children, Thai teachers can teach English themselves"

So who did "famously" say this???? Obviously it's not so "famous". And if somebody really did say this, they need to take an interest in the TAT - Tourism Authority of Thailand or some government ministers etc because whoever did say this is not thinking correctly or clearly by saying this.

And Silom Fair is for everybody, go ask the stalls, shops and bar owners :)

Who famously said

and also said

Whoever DID say these things was clearly deluded :) Has anyone talked to an English Language Graduate from any university here? And been able to hold even a basic conversation? Few and very far between. Thai teachers can teach Thai language perfectly well. Can they teach English above a rudimentary level? Try as they undoubtedly do, the answer is more often than not, 'no'. Embarrassingly 'no', in some cases.

Did someone mention 'Falang'? or 'Farang'? QED

Oh be quiet, you ignorant racist. Firstly, if it wasn't for foreigners, Thailand would be worse off than Cambodia, secondly don't you dare even suggest that Thais can teach good English. Their awful mistakes have been passed down from generations of Thai teachers who can't speak correct English. Thirdly, Silom fair is for EVERYONE, not just narrow-minded "stuck in the 1500s" little facists like you. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!!

Well said.

I just replied to that nonsense too.

Who famously said

and also said

So who did "famously" say this???? Obviously it's not so "famous". And if somebody really did say this, they need to take an interest in the TAT - Tourism Authority of Thailand or some government ministers etc because whoever did say this is not thinking correctly or clearly by saying this.

Yes! The fair at Silom is for everybody! If you have money, come along and enjoy the freedom of retail therapy. But do not under any circumstances, if you are a foreigner, think you are daring to help Thailand's economy. Oh no. Thais are completely capable. :D

Who famously said

and also said

Whoever DID say these things was clearly deluded :) Has anyone talked to an English Language Graduate from any university here? And been able to hold even a basic conversation? Few and very far between. Thai teachers can teach Thai language perfectly well. Can they teach English above a rudimentary level? Try as they undoubtedly do, the answer is more often than not, 'no'. Embarrassingly 'no', in some cases.

Did someone mention 'Falang'? or 'Farang'? QED

Well said! See my reply too. I said the same.

This guy is not the brightest spark on the fire :D

Who famously said

and also said

Yes! The fair at Silom is for everybody! If you have money, come along and enjoy the freedom of retail therapy. But do not under any circumstances, if you are a foreigner, think you are daring to help Thailand's economy. Oh no. Thais are completely capable. :D

A very poor reply. Not only have you gone back on what you first said and you are contradicting but you are also stating the obvious. Of course you must have money, nearly everything in this world involves money remember the real "famous" quote "Money makes the world go round"

Anyway what is your point here?? or are you just a hater?

Go to Silom Road today spend a few bucks and support the vendors, vehicle traffic should be light with the holiday.

Nice idea. Spend a few MORE 'bucks' than the Thais are charged, do you mean? Spend maybe triple the price, now that they have to make up for their people's actions? Hmmm ... I think I will stay at home and let the tourists be ripped off even more than normal.

Yeah .... why should you show any support and good natured spirit when you can whine.

Go to Silom Road today spend a few bucks and support the vendors, vehicle traffic should be light with the holiday.

Nice idea. Spend a few MORE 'bucks' than the Thais are charged, do you mean? Spend maybe triple the price, now that they have to make up for their people's actions? Hmmm ... I think I will stay at home and let the tourists be ripped off even more than normal.

Yeah .... why should you show any support and good natured spirit when you can whine.

@herbaled ... Is it not the Buddhist philosophers who talk of kharma? What goes around, comes around? Is stating the truth now considered whining?

The people are REALLY affected. The busineeses are REALLY need support. And all of those workers are not the ones who made problems - now they just need to survive after the terror right below their windows. Those who dislike the red's actions - please just come and sue them, it is ANOTHER story for ANOTHER topic!

Talking about "bangkok should be back" - but very ironic in every step on this long way...??

A very nice "support" from all of you, yeah, who dare to call this land "a home"...

Shame on you all. Get back to your holes and dont bark on the wind, if unable to say something more meaningful.

Thanks for your positive response to my first post.

So you have finally noticed there are idiots abound here....

Actually, I've noticed that the entire world is becoming more and more like a gigantic open air lunatic asylum. I think the problem in being an expat is that we come here expecting to be relieved of sufferance of living in a loony western world with it's double standards, over-governance and social do-gooders all contributing towards our right to enjoyment of a peaceful life,..but then when we get here,. after a little while we start to see so many things that are less than perfect and that defy common sense (a concept lost on most Thais) so we start to criticize.

For sure there are a multitude of things about living in the Land of Save-face that I find very annoying but having said that if I tell th truth there are at least 5 to 10 more things back "home" for every single thing here that I find much more annoying and an obstruction to a peaceful or stress free (OK..stress reduced!) life.

As far as shopping and being slugged 3 times the price,... well I haven't been down to Patong Beach for 6 years so that doesn't happen any more,.. but when ever I'm shopping in BKK or CNX I may get initially "played" for the "double the price for farang" routine but the vendor usually comes down when I express myself with a few Thai phrases and tell him I live here now,.. love Thailand and have Palayaa Kon Thai kub dek dek sam kon duay" then the prices come back to normal,.. and if my wife and/or kids are with me (eldest is 5 and speaks fluent Thai and English) then I let them do the talking and we always get a local price!

Some folks will whine wherever they are,.. it tends to be part of human nature to judge, evaluate and pass criticsim and I must say that to some notable extent I too am guilty of such. Having said that,... it pays to try to keep things in balance and not become a Kon Thai basher just for the sake of it. I can think of some bastards back in Paddy's market Sydney that could teach a trick or two to the average Thai vendor here!

Who famously said

and also said

A very poor reply. Not only have you gone back on what you first said and you are contradicting but you are also stating the obvious. Of course you must have money, nearly everything in this world involves money remember the real "famous" quote "Money makes the world go round"

Anyway what is your point here?? or are you just a hater?

It depends to whom you are addressing your comment, Randee. I am not a hater. I am a realist, if it's directed towards me. Money is necessary, without doubt. The point is that although to feel grateful is usually a very uncomfortable feeling, to be in some small ways appreciated for our contribution might make foreigners more willing to support those who either cannot support themselves or have let others damage their method of creating income. However, personally I have no desire to be thought of as a benefactor. To be an anonymous giver is surely the more altruistic attitude.

Actually, I've noticed that the entire world is becoming more and more like a gigantic open air lunatic asylum. I think the problem in being an expat is that we come here expecting to be relieved of sufferance of living in a loony western world with it's double standards, over-governance and social do-gooders all contributing towards our right to enjoyment of a peaceful life,..but then when we get here,. after a little while we start to see so many things that are less than perfect and that defy common sense (a concept lost on most Thais) so we start to criticize.

For sure there are a multitude of things about living in the Land of Save-face that I find very annoying but having said that if I tell th truth there are at least 5 to 10 more things back "home" for every single thing here that I find much more annoying and an obstruction to a peaceful or stress free (OK..stress reduced!) life.

As far as shopping and being slugged 3 times the price,... well I haven't been down to Patong Beach for 6 years so that doesn't happen any more,.. but when ever I'm shopping in BKK or CNX I may get initially "played" for the "double the price for farang" routine but the vendor usually comes down when I express myself with a few Thai phrases and tell him I live here now,.. love Thailand and have Palayaa Kon Thai kub dek dek sam kon duay" then the prices come back to normal,.. and if my wife and/or kids are with me (eldest is 5 and speaks fluent Thai and English) then I let them do the talking and we always get a local price!

Some folks will whine wherever they are,.. it tends to be part of human nature to judge, evaluate and pass criticsim and I must say that to some notable extent I too am guilty of such. Having said that,... it pays to try to keep things in balance and not become a Kon Thai basher just for the sake of it. I can think of some bastards back in Paddy's market Sydney that could teach a trick or two to the average Thai vendor here!

I just want to say that I absolutely adore this post!

Not exactly "noticed". Just sounded a bare fact... :D

Ask help from people you respect! Surely not the farang!

I cant see the words "Silom Road Turns Into Walking Street Fair FOR FARANGS" above

Noone is PUSHING or ORDERING you to come and support. Just take it or leave it (but leave it QUIETLY pls. Small dog could loudly bark to the elephant - but do the elefant ever notices?).

That is exactly what happening in this post: small terries barkling to an elefant (so-called "Thailand"). Shows no brain of them - just a sound of a puke...:)

And as long they call me farang

"Farang" is not an offensive term, kiddo. Something like "mate" in US-EN.

Take some TH lang courses or somethin...?

They're not a bad people at all, but they are not as pure as the driven snow as some of you long timers seem to think.

Well, if you make some average statistic of farangs in TH (average and for all, I repeat) - you'll see the next image: stinky fat old horny man sitting with a LOT of beer (sometimes with so-called "lady/boy friend") and a low-tasty food (as cooked for farang, who cant even smell of something) somewhere down at Pattaya, talking loud and care nothing and noone of those "china man" around. Knows no (TH) language, cares no (TH) culture, listen to no [TH] folk and thinks that he can get everything what he can pay - and that's as simple as he is.

Not a nice pic, is it? And you want those so-called "china man" respect to...THIS??

Yeah, I know - not every farangs here like that. I am also trying to be not like that. But sorry - the majority of farangs (mostly tourists) makes the whole image.

And now back to our sheeps: many expats [at this topic] just make this deep crack even deeper: they blame Thailand for something brought here by themselves (the farang's image). Blaming for EVERY reason - a good to be blamed, or a good to be soppurted - they just not care, they simply enjoy blaming and gaining their adrenaline. Blaming in front of local ppl (read: showing ZERO respect to their motherland) - but still demanding for respect them back.

Blaming, but keep staying.... And seems to be VERY surprised when Thais say "Farangs go home!!"

Who famously said

and also said

That's also not fair to say. It is a "chuchhe idea" as per North Korea. Yeah, so far they can survive in a total isolation, yet they show some progress in military and science (came from the Soviet's roots I bet) - but is there the best place FOR LIVE? Definitely not.

Dont suggest this scenario to TH please.

Just to mention again that most Thais use 'farang' as a derogatory word these days. It was not originally derogatory, but neither was the 'n' word in America. And it's not a good idea to look at the 'average statistics' of a group of people. Certainly not a good idea here.

" Well, if you make some average statistic of farangs in TH (average and for all, I repeat) - you'll see the next image: stinky fat old horny man sitting with a LOT of beer (sometimes with so-called "lady/boy friend") and a low-tasty food (as cooked for farang, who cant even smell of something) somewhere down at Pattaya, talking loud and care nothing and noone of those "china man" around. Knows no (TH) language, cares no (TH) culture, listen to no [TH] folk and thinks that he can get everything what he can pay - and that's as simple as he is.

Not a nice pic, is it? And you want those so-called "china man" respect to...THIS?? "

Shall we ask who is selling the beer, without thought to quantity, to the 'stinky fat old horny man'? Who is selling the 'product' to satisfy his desires? It's not a good idea to get into the taste or quality of Thai food, nor should we get into stereotypical ideas of groups of people. People would be banned from here, on account of too much honesty. :)

Just to mention again that most Thais use 'farang' as a derogatory word these days. It was not originally derogatory, but neither was the 'n' word in America. And it's not a good idea to look at the 'average statistics' of a group of people. Certainly not a good idea here.

:D:)

QUOTE (DocJohnnie99 @ 2010-05-28

Shall we ask who is selling the beer, without thought to quantity, to the 'stinky fat old horny man'? Who is selling the 'product' to satisfy his desires? It's not a good idea to get into the taste or quality of Thai food, nor should we get into stereotypical ideas of groups of people. People would be banned from here, on account of too much honesty. :D

Aha!! This reply I like! Yes Yes You are right. Well said DocJohnnie99 :)

Edited by Randee

Just to mention again that most Thais use 'farang' as a derogatory word these days.

These days most farangs just hardly earned - and finally deserved this. You like it or not. :)

And it's not a good idea to look at the 'average statistics' of a group of people. Certainly not a good idea here.

Just because you dislike the final image?

I am also not like that. But it is still here - and only WE who render it. Day by day. All of us.

Keep blaming Thailand today while you are in Thailand, guys...it will greatly help the locals to respect us tomorrow, yeah...:D

Shall we ask who is selling the beer, without thought to quantity, to the 'stinky fat old horny man'? Who is selling the 'product' to satisfy his desires?

Would you prefer if they rejest such of your orders? :D C'mon, man!

"The best car's brakes - not at the car, but in the head of the driver ©

People would be banned from here, on account of too much honesty. :)

Mmm...that's why I see so many newbies whith <10 posts these days...? Perhaps a banned but re-registered "honest bees"? :D

:D:)

Sorry about the apparent 'off-topicality' ... a reply to Alex_aka_P

Just to mention again that most Thais use 'farang' as a derogatory word these days.

These days most farangs just hardly earned - and finally deserved this. You like it or not. :)

And it's not a good idea to look at the 'average statistics' of a group of people. Certainly not a good idea here.

I am also not like that. But it is still here - and only WE who render it. Day by day. All of us.

Keep blaming Thailand today while you are in Thailand, guys...it will greatly help the locals to respect us tomorrow, yeah...:D

I seek not to be respected. Anyone who seeks that will always be disappointed. And yes,I agree that if we look at the final image we receive when we stereotype, we will dislike it. I am sure also that most foreigners act in a way which encourages the term 'farang' to become derogatory.

Shall we ask who is selling the beer, without thought to quantity, to the 'stinky fat old horny man'? Who is selling the 'product' to satisfy his desires?

Would you prefer if they rejest such of your orders? :D C'mon, man!

"The best car's brakes - not at the car, but in the head of the driver ©

People would be banned from here, on account of too much honesty. :)

Mmm...that's why I see so many newbies whith <10 posts these days...? Perhaps a banned but re-registered "honest bees"? :D

Try to remember that some of us do not drink nor indulge in the carnality offered so openly here. That's not what every foreigner is about.

The people are REALLY affected. The businesses are REALLY need support. And all of those workers are not the ones who made problems - now they just need to survive after the terror right below their windows.

Isn't the Thai government giving money to all of the vendors for their loss of business? I don't recall the amount but I believe they are all getting paid, from the shop houses to the street vendors.

Keep blaming Thailand today while you are in Thailand, guys...it will greatly help the locals to respect us tomorrow, yeah... :D

If you live in a flower garden you will see flowers everywhere.

If you live in a pig farm you will see pigs everywhere.

It is up to you to decide where you live and what you see everyday. But if you live in a place full of the farangs you are criticising, then I suggest you move away. Why are you here complaining??? It is your life and your choice as to where you live, who you see, what you see and who and what surrounds you.

You seem very unhappy about the Farang around you. Do you live in a beer bar and bar girl area? Then that is what you will see everyday.

I would suggest you move to Koh Chang or Chiang Mai or Krabi etc etc .... Here the Farang are young, good mannered, freedom style and also many young lady Farang.

If you live in a beer bar area this is what you will see ..... stop complaining and criticising. You only have yourself to blame

If a part of Thailand is offering beer and women then it is customers who desire beer and women who will be there. Stop complaining about it. Many many Thai businesses want the Farang customers and will entice them to be there. You must get away if you are not happy. It is not your business to deter foriegn customers.

The people are REALLY affected. The businesses are REALLY need support. And all of those workers are not the ones who made problems - now they just need to survive after the terror right below their windows.

Isn't the Thai government giving money to all of the vendors for their loss of business? I don't recall the amount but I believe they are all getting paid, from the shop houses to the street vendors.

This is correct. The Thai government has agreed to compensate shop owners who can prove direct losses from the actions of the protesters. It's a little more complicated than just 'giving', it is accountable and accountable for. However I am minded of the fact that the compensation will cover only those losses directly incurred and not losses which are consequential from the actions of the protesters.

Keep blaming Thailand today while you are in Thailand, guys...it will greatly help the locals to respect us tomorrow, yeah... :D

If you live in a flower garden you will see flowers everywhere.

If you live in a pig farm you will see pigs everywhere.

It is up to you to decide where you live and what you see everyday. But if you live in a place full of the farangs you are criticising, then I suggest you move away. Why are you here complaining??? It is your life and your choice as to where you live, who you see, what you see and who and what surrounds you.

You seem very unhappy about the Farang around you. Do you live in a beer bar and bar girl area? Then that is what you will see everyday.

I would suggest you move to Koh Chang or Chiang Mai or Krabi etc etc .... Here the Farang are young, good mannered, freedom style and also many young lady Farang.

If you live in a beer bar area this is what you will see ..... stop complaining and criticising. You only have yourself to blame

If a part of Thailand is offering beer and women then it is customers who desire beer and women who will be there. Stop complaining about it. Many many Thai businesses want the Farang customers and will entice them to be there. You must get away if you are not happy. It is not your business to deter foriegn customers.

I live in Bangkok, but not in an area replete with alcohol and concomitant trades. I mention and report only the attitudes I know from people with whom I have spoken. I agree fully - if people do not like those areas of ill repute - don't go there. Move away. More than that - if you do not like Thai culture and attitudes - go home. The answer to the whiners and grumblers is so simple. Book your ticket.