Using B5 Diesel In Farm Equipment

I've been using B5 diesel in my Kubota M5000, it's done about 1,000 hours and was losing power - the fuel injectors had to be replaced at a cost of Bt11,000. The mechanics who did the work blamed my use of B5, saying it was unsuitable for Kubota engines.

I also run 2 large harvesters with Hino engines, if I can't use B5 in them my costs will rise considerably.

Anyone got any experience or advice on the use of B5?

I would be more inclined to look at the source of the fuel than the 5% biodiesel impact. Distribution has improved here but many of the small, independant fuel merchants still have old storage systems and less well maintained facilities. Contamination of the fuel sounds more likely.

I recall when PTT introduced B5 all the vehicle manufacturers were asked for impact statements and there no significant problems. Kubota ?

If it is a problem now, then wait until next year when the % increases to 10%. This is planned to co-incide with the new pickup trucks models.

Isaanaussie

I would be more inclined to look at the source of the fuel than the 5% biodiesel impact.

I always buy from the Castrol station on the Khu Khan road near Sisaket. He is one of the biggest dealers with 3 outlets and I keep receipts.

I've just returned from the Kubota dealer where I bought the tractor, with the dirty diesel injectors. Their policy is quite clear, and is the policy of Kubota Thailand: B5 diesel in Thailand is NOT recommended for use in any of their equipment and using it will damage your engine.

I showed them the "global policy" statement (link provided by Bpraim) and a few others but they were having none of it. I replied that I would therefore take it up with their global headquarters. They started tentatively backtracking and put me on to a lady in Bkk who they reckoned spoke English. I got some reasoning that Thai B5 is inferior to other countries and she is due to "phone me back when she has done some more research".

• 3 weeks later...

I've just returned from the Kubota dealer where I bought the tractor, with the dirty diesel injectors. Their policy is quite clear, and is the policy of Kubota Thailand: B5 diesel in Thailand is NOT recommended for use in any of their equipment and using it will damage your engine.

I showed them the "global policy" statement (link provided by Bpraim) and a few others but they were having none of it. I replied that I would therefore take it up with their global headquarters. They started tentatively backtracking and put me on to a lady in Bkk who they reckoned spoke English. I got some reasoning that Thai B5 is inferior to other countries and she is due to "phone me back when she has done some more research".

interesting .. i run B5 in my fortuner with no seeming ill effects , so cannot see how it would impact on a tractor

I have a 2008 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0. I use B5 and have never had a problem. BUT I know friends that have 2004 and 2005 models and that have stopped using B5 saying lose of power. There may be something to this.

I've been running my '97 Tiger 3.0 on B5 for about a year.

Runs great.

If I was loosing power a few tank fulls after changing to B5, the first thing I would do is change the fuel filter.

Biodiesel has a reputation for cleaning the dirt from the inside of fuel lines & tanks, ending up in the filter.

For diesel-fueled heavy equipment, a top quality fuel filter is a must. Racor is the world leader. Any water in the diesel will blow the tips out of the injectors. Any alcohol in the fuel - which is hydroscopic (attracts water) - will aggravate this problem. A good fuel filter / water separator will remove the water. The above mentioned model has a clear bowl allowing a daily inspection, and comes with a drain plug allowing you to drain any water that has accumulated.

Like the old Cat fuel caps said "Buy Clean Fuel, Keep It Clean"

For diesel-fueled heavy equipment, a top quality fuel filter is a must. Racor is the world leader. Any water in the diesel will blow the tips out of the injectors. Any alcohol in the fuel - which is hydroscopic (attracts water) - will aggravate this problem. A good fuel filter / water separator will remove the water. The above mentioned model has a clear bowl allowing a daily inspection, and comes with a drain plug allowing you to drain any water that has accumulated.

This is good advice. Bacteria and microbes pretty much take over diesel fuel storage tanks and eventually get into your tank and engine. The problem is worse in warmer climates. Check and change your filters regularly.

Diesel Fuel Bacteria Problems

• 2 weeks later...

Completely agree. I currently live on a 15 meter boat with a 16 litre Hino for power.

There is an exact copy of the big Racor filters that is made in Taiwan and marketed here for the marine industry. About half (or a third?) the price of the Racors.

Do a search on GSM Marine Supply. That's where I got mine.