No Tourist Visa For You!

Since Thailand's tourism is doing so well, the Consulate in Vientiane has decided to start counting tourist visas. They refused me a visa on Wednesday. They made no notation in my passport just handed me back my application (!) and said I had been here too long and needed to get a different type of visa. Fair enough. I've tried for a non-imm O before but the imm office in Chiang Mai was too incompetent (or maybe it was me) to get it done. By the way, I haven't been here all that long. A couple of years this time. I was here for a couple of years before but left for almost two years. And, at the airport they gave me only two weeks. I thought they had determined air travelers got 30 days!

I don't know what to do now. Guess I'll go talk to the imm office. It would be nice if you could actually talk to someone face to face instead of through a window with four people listening in and lots of noise. Oh, well.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visa exempt entry is 30 days at airport - VOA is 15 days. Did you receive a visa or visa exempt entry? You nationality should determine that.

Two years on tourist visas does not sound like a normal vacation to most people. What was your basis to apply for non immigrant entry? They would normally be issued by a Consulate rather than Immigration.

What do you look like (your avatar)? I can imagine some people being denied consecutive tourist visas if they've been doing so for a couple years AND if they appear "undesirable". Not saying that's you (how would I know?) but they have the ability to say "no" anytime they deem fit. Dirty, long hair, disrespectful attire, etc.

Visa exempt entry is 30 days at airport - VOA is 15 days. Did you receive a visa or visa exempt entry? You nationality should determine that.

USA. Visa Exempt Entry.

Believe it or not, I really am a tourist. I love exploring and I'm blessed with a job that allows me the time and then pays well enough when I do work to support it. No. I'm not a mercenary nor a spy. I choose not to apply for a retirement visa because I like my money right where it's at. I have a sweet deal with my bank and they take good care of me when I'm roaming the Sudan or Afghanistan or ... ???

And to Uncle Bob. No, I don't look like my avatar. I'm not that pretty. So, I made sure to wear a nice pair of slacks and a lovely sport shirt. As to the long, greasy hair thing - I'm bald enough that I started cutting the rest of it off and I'm old enough that it doesn't look threatening. Also, I have a soft white beard and I'm chubby enough that I've been called Santa more than a few times here.

I don't think it was my appearance.

As for your situation - if you plan to stay longer perhaps a trip to Perth to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa should be in your plans if you have a friend here as they are about the only Consulate willing to issue on that basis. It seems you reject putting money in a bank account to obtain a retirement extension of stay. Another option would be study of Thai to obtain ED visa and extensions of stay on that (cost about 25k for course and 1,900 baht each 3 month extension).

Situations like your visit to Vientiane are frustrating, I'm sure. But visa issuance has always been at the discretion of the immigration officer handling your case. There have been many cases noted here of Vientiane issuing "red stamps" for those whom it deemed had too many tourist visas. It's not a big leap to imagine them tightening this even further, particularly if those tourist visas had 30-day extensions.

If you wish to remain in the country for a long time, then a non-immigrant visa is what you need. It's just that type of situation they were designed for. But as with any country in the world, long-term stays are only allowed for specific purposes. In Thailand's case, that's retirement, marriage, support of a child, being a dependent, education, investment or business.

If you don't fit into any of those categories, then Thailand is really not willing to have you stay here.

If you are not married or have Thai children, do not or want to work or invest here, or attend school, then retirement remains your only bonafide recourse. If you do choose to pursue a non-immigrant O visa based on retirement and then obtain the 1-year of extension of stay, there is no getting around the financial requirements. But, remember, it need not only be 800,000 baht in the bank. If you can demonstrate monthly income of 65,000 baht or more, then you can leave your money in the U.S.

There is one other possibility in that there have been cases where overseas Thai consulates have issued 1-year, multiple-entry retirement (O-A) visas without the requirement that the money be deposited in a Thai bank. Bank statements showing you had such money was generally all that was needed.

These places are few and far between, but our legal advisors would be happy to assist you with this or other issues related to obtaining the visa you desire.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Visas are normally issued by MFA consulate employees rather than Immigration Officers so at there discretion - entry is at the discretion of Immigration. The Non Immigrant OA (long stay) visa has never had a requirement for bank money in Thailand that I am aware of. The whole idea is to obtain in your home country and you have a one year permitted to stay on arrival and plenty of time to set up a bank account and bring in what you need.

When was this entry - this week or earlier? We have one rumor post of 15 days at airport so rather important to pin it down. Thanks.

Just rumor, might be a mistake by the Immigration Officer.

In such a case the person should report to Thai Immigration and get a adjustment.

When was this entry - this week or earlier? We have one rumor post of 15 days at airport so rather important to pin it down. Thanks.

Thought I was clear, the visa was denied on Wednesday in Vientiane. My flight back was today. 28May10

I don't think I could trust an attorney who tweets.

dam_n i wish i had said that !

if ur 50 or older , just get the income letter from the US embassy , dress nice , be EXTREMELY polite (don't speak unless ur spoken to) and u might have the same luck i did in feb. when i got a 1-year extension based on retirement

And very expensive!

I don't think I could trust an attorney who tweets.

Inhaling or exhaling.

Sunbelt has been giving good advice on this forum for many years. They took the time to explain your options in detail and you're making fun of it.

I've never heard of anyone getting 15 days when entering Thailand by air when normally eligible for 30 days (US citizen, visa exempt). Did you fly from Udon Thani or Vientiane?

While at the monastary in Mar. a fellow american showed up complaining about the visa he recieved in Vientiane. To make a long story short, he wanted a non oa based on retirement but he didn't have a bank account in Thailand, he did have the money in an american bank. No Thai bank account no oa visa, they did give him a double tourist visa.

While at the monastary in Mar. a fellow american showed up complaining about the visa he recieved in Vientiane. To make a long story short, he wanted a non oa based on retirement but he didn't have a bank account in Thailand, he did have the money in an american bank. No Thai bank account no oa visa, they did give him a double tourist visa.

O-A Visas can only be obtained in your own Country.

USA. Visa Exempt Entry.

Believe it or not, I really am a tourist. I love exploring and I'm blessed with a job that allows me the time and then pays well enough when I do work to support it. No. I'm not a mercenary nor a spy. I choose not to apply for a retirement visa because I like my money right where it's at. I have a sweet deal with my bank and they take good care of me when I'm roaming the Sudan or Afghanistan or ... ???

And to Uncle Bob. No, I don't look like my avatar. I'm not that pretty. So, I made sure to wear a nice pair of slacks and a lovely sport shirt. As to the long, greasy hair thing - I'm bald enough that I started cutting the rest of it off and I'm old enough that it doesn't look threatening. Also, I have a soft white beard and I'm chubby enough that I've been called Santa more than a few times here.

I don't think it was my appearance.

If as you say you are an older gent(50plus) then go to your American consulate and get a letter saying you have the required income 65,000 baht a month for a o visa for reason of retirement then you need not bring any money other than spending into the kingdom..Its easy so why make things hard for yourself...??? Would seem to me a normal person who has funds would do that so whats your problem after all you do stay here a long time...Seems to me imergration would think the same...

Edited by davidwright

What do you look like (your avatar)? I can imagine some people being denied consecutive tourist visas if they've been doing so for a couple years AND if they appear "undesirable". Not saying that's you (how would I know?) but they have the ability to say "no" anytime they deem fit. Dirty, long hair, disrespectful attire, etc.
Would appearance during submission of a Tourist Visa application actually matter? The decision to approve is made long after the application was submitted and the applicant no longer in sight.

In general the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane/Laos issue around 3 Double Entry Tourist Tourist Visa per Person/Passport before rejecting people.

Currently no red stamp.

Has anyone actually asked the Thai Embassy or Consulate in Vientiane about the exact Tourist Visa rules? I wouldn't want to go all the way to Vientiane (from Bangkok) for a new Tourist Visa only to end up being rejected; it would be a huge waste of time and money. It would be good to know beforehand whether we'd be rejected so that we can plan accordingly.

There is no "one size fits all" rule. Every consulate has the discretion to refuse to issue a visa if they have reason to believe the applicant is not submitting a genuine application. What is your visa history? That may give a pointer to expected visa application outcome.

In general the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane/Laos issue around 3 Double Entry Tourist Tourist Visa per Person/Passport before rejecting people.

Currently no red stamp.

Has anyone actually asked the Thai Embassy or Consulate in Vientiane about the exact Tourist Visa rules? I wouldn't want to go all the way to Vientiane (from Bangkok) for a new Tourist Visa only to end up being rejected; it would be a huge waste of time and money. It would be good to know beforehand whether we'd be rejected so that we can plan accordingly.

You can never be 100% certain of what will happen at the Vientiane Thai Consulate.

You'll never get an answer and it is often influenced by nationality. I've already experienced going there for nothing and it's no picnic. I went with my Filipino GF. I got my visa, she was refused.

I'm getting the feeling that the OP is trolling here:

1. He says he has been to the Chiang Mai Immigration office yet he flew to Vientiane (from Bangkok).

If he lived in Northern Thailand he wouldn't be flying to Vientiane and besides, very few visa runners fly to Vietiane as the ticket prices are too high.

2. He's from the USA and mentions that he was given 15 days visa exempt entry upon flying from Vientiane to Bangkok.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this happening.

Considering that many were taken for a ride last week on here ("I have a huge problem, please help!" thread) we have to be careful about what to believe.

I'm getting the feeling that the OP is trolling here:

1. He says he has been to the Chiang Mai Immigration office yet he flew to Vientiane (from Bangkok).

If he lived in Northern Thailand he wouldn't be flying to Vientiane and besides, very few visa runners fly to Vietiane as the ticket prices are too high.

2. He's from the USA and mentions that he was given 15 days visa exempt entry upon flying from Vientiane to Bangkok.

Sir, I have been around for a while, this is the first time I've been called a troll.

1) I live in Chiang Mai. I flew to Vientiane via Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai. I did not say I had flown from BKK. Maybe the ticket prices are too high for you. I find the higher price is worth the savings in time and the miserable ride on a bus.

2) Again, my trip was CM to Luang Prabang to Vientiane and back by the same route. 10,500 baht return. I said nothing about flying from BKK.

I invite you to actually read my OP. I don't believe I mentioned Bangkok at all. Methinks, you may be the troll here.

1) I live in Chiang Mai. I flew to Vientiane via Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai. I did not say I had flown from BKK. Maybe the ticket prices are too high for you. I find the higher price is worth the savings in time and the miserable ride on a bus.

2) Again, my trip was CM to Luang Prabang to Vientiane and back by the same route. 10,500 baht return. I said nothing about flying from BKK.

I invite you to actually read my OP. I don't believe I mentioned Bangkok at all.

Now that you have mentioned how you flew into Thailand you may have solved the mystery that has baffled many of us - your 15 day visa exempt entry.

There's probably a different policy regarding visa free entries at the smaller provincial airports.

Edited by tropo