Thailand Tops In Tv Viewing

jomama

Thailand Residents Spend Most Time in Front of TV

NEW YORK, June 15: Residents of Thailand spend an average of 22.4 hours watching TV per week, according to NOP World’s Culture Score Media Habits Index, well ahead of the global average of 16.6 hours.

The Culture Score Index Series is based on further analysis of the NOP World Roper Reports Worldwide survey, which includes in-depth personal interviews with more than 30,000 people aged 13 and older in 30 countries between December 2004 and February 2005. The Media Index records how much time people spend worldwide watching television, listening to the radio, surfing online and reading.

The global average for TV viewing was 16.6 hours per week, followed by 8.9 hours online, 8 hours listing to the radio and 6.5 hours reading. Thailand leads for TV viewership, followed by the Philippines with 21 hours, Egypt with 20.9 hours and Turkey at 20.2 hours. Americans watch an average of 19 hours, slightly more than U.K. residents at 18 hours. Among those watching the least amount of TV were Mexicans (11.6 hours), Venezuelans (11.9 hours) and Swedes (12.3 hours). See the full list below.

For Internet usage, Taiwanese ranked at the top of the list, with 12.6 hours for non-work related purposes, followed by Thailand (11.7 hours) and Spain (11.5 hours). Those spending the least amount of time online are Mexicans (6.3), Italians (6.3) and Germans (6.4).

Average Hours/Week Watching TV

Thailand 22.4

Philippines 21.0

Egypt 20.9

Turkey 20.2

Indonesia 19.7

USA 19.0

Taiwan 18.9

Brazil 18.4

U.K. 18.0

Japan 17.9

Saudi Arabia 17.7

France 17.3

Hong Kong 16.7

GLOBAL 16.6

Czech Republic 16.2

Poland 15.9

Spain 15.9

China 15.7

Korea 15.4

Germany 15.2

Hungary 15.1

Russia 15.0

Italy 14.9

South Africa 14.8

Canada 14.7

Argentina 14.0

Australia 13.3

India 13.3

Sweden 12.3

Venezuela 11.9

Mexico 11.6

Wiered, whenever I go to my Wife's family - the TV is never on for more trhan 30 minutes a day (usually just for some mini-series of whatever). Yai (Grandma) never watches, even though I bought her a new TV - he11 she's only 80, much better to wander off to the garden to pick papaya, plant rice in the fields or worry the pigs. The only place I ever see the box on is in police stations, hotels, service stations and electrical outlets (er, that's retail, not plug sockets) - and noone is actually watching them.

I think Frank Zappa said it best:

[with backing vocals by Tina Turner]

I am gross and perverted

I'm obsessed and deranged

I have existed for years

But very little has changed

I'm the tool of the Government

And industry too

For I am destined to rule

And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious

But you can't look away

I make you think I'm delicious

With the stuff that I say

I'm the best you can get

Have you guessed me yet?

I'm the slime oozin' out

From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you

And eat the garbage that I feed you

Until the day that we don't need you

Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you

Your mind is totally controlled

It has been stuffed into my mold

And you will do as you are told

Until the rights to you are sold

That's right, folks . . .

Don't touch that dial

-----------------------------------------------------

hmmm... particularly relevant and cause for concern here with the governmental controls of television.

Sir Raja John, amazed with lyrics from Zappa!

- good taste

- stangely good memory (here is cery rare)

- nice twist in post

Yep, TVsets are in very house even in slums of Bangkok - instead of improving their life, folks watch TVs.. should be explanation.

I'm not surprised at this statistics.

My in-laws are very attached to TV.

Even when they come visit our place they hesitantly but ask to turn the TV on as if they can't miss one episode of 'rakon'. And when it happens, they are all glued to TV as if they came to our house to watch rakon. From where I come from it's not very normal for people over 30 to be so hooked up on TV dramas. Sometimes I wonder if their vision of the world is shaped by TV.

Edited by Nordlys

Terdsak - They also say that repetition is a good way of learning... :o

Terdsak - They also say that repetition is a good way of learning... :D

Terdsak - They also say that repetition is a good way of learning... :D

Edited by Rags

It must be a conspiracy of the elite is to keep the masses fed to their gills with soap opera and commercial jingles selling whitening cream. Keep them obsessed with enough trivia without complaining about the excesses of the few and questioning the vast gap between the rich and the poor. Works everywhere! :o

[with backing vocals by Tina Turner]

Maybe I am too young for zappa , but my preferred anti - television anthem is

Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy - Television, The Drug Of The Nation Lyrics

Television, the drug of the Nation

Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation

the amount of guns paraded around on television here is the most worrying - every soap opera is awash with them being waved around by the coifed pansy of choice.

It must be a conspiracy of the elite is to keep the masses fed to their gills with soap opera and commercial jingles selling whitening cream. Keep them obsessed with enough trivia without complaining about the excesses of the few and questioning the vast gap between the rich and the poor. Works everywhere!  :o

And don't forget those ridiculous pantomime-type programmes... the ones with at least one katoey, one very ugly person and someone else in drag. And the silly noises blasting out every time a punch line is said, so the audience knows when to crease up laughing.

It must be a conspiracy of the elite is to keep the masses fed to their gills with soap opera and commercial jingles selling whitening cream. Keep them obsessed with enough trivia without complaining about the excesses of the few and questioning the vast gap between the rich and the poor. Works everywhere!  :o

And don't forget those ridiculous pantomime-type programmes... the ones with at least one katoey, one very ugly person and someone else in drag. And the silly noises blasting out every time a punch line is said, so the audience knows when to crease up laughing.

Oh yes, I almost forgot about those katoeys! They add a new dimension to prime-time - TV's on TV. :D

I've always said that, keep the population ignorant by feeding them this mindless pap!!!!!

[

Sounds like you are talking about Coronation St or possible Eastenders :o

The results are really surprising considering that Thai TV is absolutely horrendous.

What are they watching? Its hours of boring game shows and gossip programs.

Even if you have UBC the quality and selections are limited.

I get this mental picture of millions of thais zoning out, mesmerized by the magic box!