Phuket Looks Gloomily To The Future -tourist Chief

george

Central will always be emptyish, why would a Thai person shop in Central, when they can buy the same items cheaper in every other shopping area?

Central is a joke! I can not find a shop in the centre where I can buy a shirt to fit me - unless its a button up business shirt.

The cinema is good though, I went there yesterday with the MRS to see Mr and Mrs Smith - the VIP seats (sofa) was great.

I agree with Baht&Sold in his semi tyrade against womble, it sounds like womble has another axe to grind, for reasons he only knows.

Phuket went through a Tsunami people, ofcourse it takes time to rebuild, regroup and get back to times before, but it is still a beautiful place. I am enjoying less traffic, less crowded bars, less people in general and what else would you be looking for in a holiday? - it makes perfect sense to see Phuket now in my opinion.

BTW, I do not cater to the tourist market, so I have nothing to gain by my posts, it just makes good sense to me, to let people know Phuket is open, alive and less crowded than ever.

Samui is also great, but as this is a Phuket forum, lets discuss Phuket.

AT LAST. The BBC has somewhat redeemed itself in my eyes. There was a report last night commemorating 6 months after the Tsunami that protrayed Phuket in a far more positive light, ie busy, vibrant beach at Patong, daytime punters milling around Bangla and a general feeling of optimism. May not be 100% accurate but at least it was positive reporting. Surely that will help attract punters if not now, but for their plans later in the year rather than the same shots of dogs sniffing around rubbish tips or that usual one of the 2 empty beach chairs with the empty ocean backdrop. (They even took time out to focus on the plight of the wretched souls up in Ban Nam Kem who are having difficulty resettling because of the violent threats from the land grabbing b##t##ds)

Good Luck to all you TVers who are directly involved with the tourist industry, hang in there.

TORNADO re shirts at Central ...... lose some weight, you big git !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only Joking !!

Yes, the BBC almost got it right ! It was looking good until the dumb a*s reporter said "this is Patong, the scene where exactly 6 months ago 5,000 people lost there lives".... WRONG !!!

You would think by now someone would have told them that the Phuket figure was actually only in the hundreds, not 5,000 ! I suppose they had to think of some exageration, afterall the rubbish dump they used to report as the remains of Phuket was no longer there this time round ! Well done BBC for almost getting it right.

And big well said goes out to Baht & Sold, like Phuket needs people like this. Blatantly setting out to put people off from going to Phuket is very poor indeed. :o

Wobble, I have a better suggestion, dont bother going back as we dont want to here your "revised" figure. Stick with Pattaya & your cheap whores !!!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not trying to put people off, i'm stating the truth and you know it. Whilst trying to lure people back, it is not wise to misslead them.

I still stand by what I say, 90% is not back to normal.

I'm not trying to put people off, i'm stating the truth and you know it.  Whilst trying to lure people back, it is not wise to misslead them.

I still stand by what I say, 90% is not back to normal.

"Patong seafront is a building site"..... "There's still lots of buildings that should be pulled down"...... "I wouldn't advise any of my friends to go there right now".... "at the moment Phuket is depressing to say the least"............

These are your own words Womble ! And you have a nerve to say other posters are misleading !!! :o

As a resident of Patong I can see how things are looking on the ground day in day out and how they have changed over the last 6 months...

I see town as extremely quiet... sois like Gonzo and Easy are very barren.. Tiger is ok ish and feels like its picked up a bit more in the last 3 - 4 weeks.. The expat hangouts on Nanai seem to be a little more resilient to trade with some of them doing a nearly normal low season, as ever networking and mates makes all the difference..

To those that say all is normal and or even 90% of normal I have to dissagree... The beach south of Bangla does still need lots of work and theres very obviously closed businesses and still much repair work that needs doing. The delays in rebuilding and re investing in turn slow down tourists walking along that part of the area and make a vicious cycle of no money in...

The sheer volume of people can be depressingly low.. I sat in a mates bar and he had not sold a single beer for 2 nights !! Peeking into Soi Lion with 2 farangs in the entire soi..

For me its not an issue.. Fast service.. plenty of attention from the remaining girls.. enough lookers to keep even a choosy bastard happy.. the same expats I tend to talk to anyway.. But for a 2 week tourist its possibly a little duller then I would chose especially when Pats or Samui have the additional busy factor and probably fun for a party holiday..

Whatever the state of the beach-front, however many good-deals there are, or, aren't. The fact is, peope aren't coming and bookings for high season are down.

Asian arrivals are down by 90% because they are afraid of ghosts.

Western arrivals are down because they are either afraid of another tsunami, or, they don't want to take their families on a holiday (which should be a joyous event) to a place that was a scene of death and destruction just six months ago.

Direct flights to Phuket have been cut drastically.

How long it's going to take to forget about these factors is anyones guess.

Now, if you want to accuse me of negativism, go right ahead. These are the plain old facts and it doesn't really benefit anyone to look at them through rosy-tinted sunglasses.

For the holiday makers that aren't afraid of ghosts, not worried about another tsunami, still capable of having fun and don't mind changing planes in Bangkok, then this is a great time to come to Phuket. Hurry up, the place needs you.

Korean Air, and Asiana Air both appear to be dropping/have dropped direct flights to Phuket. The initial story from Thailand for the two Korean carriers was that it was due to a significant drop in passengers. More recent comments from the airlines indicate they were willing to continue flights if the airport would have been willing to reduce the landing fees.

Seems like the airport should have been willing to do what ever necessary to keep airlines and therefore people coming?

Also Dragon Air stopped flights from Hong Kong back in December, and now is scheduled to close its office in Phuket July 1.

FINAL EDIT, the very way to assist the resilient community spirit and the people of Phuket, is quite simply by visiting. They don't need hand outs! Simply need to move forward and by visiting, that's the best way to show your support and go home knowing you contributed, thereby had a personally rewarding and unique vacation. Is this so hard to comprehend??? Nuff said. :o

BAS - IMHO you've hit the nail right on the head. Just visit and encourage others to do the same. I get sick and tired of telling people - no, it's not dangerous; no, there isn't a clean water problem; no, it isn't some sort of wasteland etc etc etc. The primary hardship is being caused by a lack of tourists spending money.

As for a previous poster saying he couldn't recommend friends to visit: I was on the island during the tsunami and the later earthquake, and on both occasions we had my 12-yr old son with us, and I have no problem with that. Next time we're back (in about 2 wks) we are bringing 2 daughters and my grandson, and in October our group will be about 14 (not quite sure where we're all going to sleep yet, as we have only 3 bedrooms).

BTW: I was there during SARS and bird flu, so you may wish to keep some distance away from me, in the interests of your own safety.

What I meant was I would advise friends on short holidays to visit other locations for the time being as they will have more fun there. For monger or regulars, Phuket is a good option at the moment, but for first timers I would recommend other locations for the time being, mostly because it's depressingly quiet. I just feel there's better places to have Sanook at the moment.

Anyone asking about next high season I would say go to Phuket, but until nov, I think tourists would be better off elsewhere, not because Phuket isn't ready for them, most of it is, but because sheer lack of numbers there makes it boring.

The businesses in Phuket need people, I know this, all of my posts have refered to what I believe most tourists would prefer at this time though, i'm looking at this from the buyers point of view.

All of those who loudly raised their objections earlier obviously have businesses in Phuket, which clouds their judgement.

As a resident of Patong I can see how things are looking on the ground day in day out and how they have changed over the last 6 months...

I see town as extremely quiet... sois like Gonzo and Easy are very barren.. Tiger is ok ish and feels like its picked up a bit more in the last 3 - 4 weeks.. The expat hangouts on Nanai seem to be a little more resilient to trade with some of them doing a nearly normal low season, as ever networking and mates makes all the difference..

To those that say all is normal and or even 90% of normal I have to dissagree... The beach south of Bangla does still need lots of work and theres very obviously closed businesses and still much repair work that needs doing. The delays in rebuilding and re investing in turn slow down tourists walking along that part of the area and make a vicious cycle of no money in... 

The sheer volume of people can be depressingly low.. I sat in a mates bar and he had not sold a single beer for 2 nights !! Peeking into Soi Lion with 2 farangs in the entire soi..

For me its not an issue.. Fast service.. plenty of attention from the remaining girls.. enough lookers to keep even a choosy bastard happy.. the same expats I tend to talk to anyway.. But for a 2 week tourist its possibly a little duller then I would chose especially when Pats or Samui have the additional busy factor and probably fun for a party holiday..

Its funny you have posted that LivinLos, Im not saying your wrong as you live in Patong - but - I have had three meetings on the beach road in the last two weeks and I think it all looked pretty good. I must admit, when trying to find a park in that area, you do not see everything though.

Oh well lets say 89% is ok then :o

maybe some of us should take a few pics and post them here, so the "out of towners" can see with their own eyes, so to speak.

maybe some of us should take a few pics and post them here, so the "out of towners" can see with their own eyes, so to speak.

Good idea Torny. :o

I'm due for some leave soon and it's a tossup between Phuket and Chiang Mai at the moment.

My camera just got borrowed out for a few weeks yesterday and my phone cam is buggered sinze I sat in the jacuzzi with it but I feel like getting a new smartphone toy anyway.. If I can be bothered to hop over to big C later I will attempt it..

Phuket may well have seen its hayday.

It has always been way overpriced compared to other Thai resorts and with the tsunami disaster why would people be hurrying to go back unless they were offered substantial discounts.

There are plenty of other places for tourists to spend their money.

To the low end tourist yes, its more expensive however, Phuket is not interested in the low end tourist ! The island is more than happy for you cheap Charlie’s to go & sit outside 7/11 in Pattaya, with your 20 baht bottle of Chang in hand !

Your not wanted here ! :o

I've got to drink it outside 7/11 too, the doorman wont let me take it back to my apartments in the Royal Cliff, and I do love my Chang. :D

Seriously though, I have been visiting Phuket since the mid eighties, long before there was even a road between Patong and Karon or Kamala.

I lived full time in Phuket for two years up until a few years ago. I finally decided to sell up and re-locate for a number of reasons, mainly the rip-off prices and the surprisingly large number of rude and avaricious people. :D

• 3 months later...
Some might question the contribution of appalling mass advertising that would prefer to imply that nothing has happened instead of finding a creative solution to the problem, which is that within the international mindset, perception is stronger than reality. Fix that and the tourists will place Phuket in the consideration set. But please. Leave the cheesy superlative family ads in superalative clean seas to the amateurs. There's a communications issue to solve.

Not Rocket science to fix, but who is listening?

Charles Frith

Sounds great Charles. You must've thought this important enough to make your first post after a year or so. Don't leave us hanging- what exactly should be done in your opinion? :o

I'd advocate at cost flights to Phuket and at cost hotel rooms on a one-off, spaced to accomodate. The Airlines could fill empty seats, gain some loyalty and some could reinstate flights already taken away. The hotels would gain by associated sales (food/beverage etc) and all would benefit. This is of course, idealist thinking since it would require a paradigm shift in business pratices and crucially, cross cooperation...:D

Apologies for the delay in replying! Your suggestions are very good, AND now is the optimal time to implement them.

Outside of the intellectual advertising nomenclature used to deconstruct a 30 second Television commercial that would ameliorate the perceived legacy of post Tsunami Thailand, here are 5 Practical Ideas:

1. Ditch 'Every Hour Is Happy Hour' as a tagline on the advertising. It's insensitive, creatively below mediocrity and largely understood to advocate cheap excessive drinking. Precisely the opposite of the Tourism Segment the TAT wishes to attract. In this instance no Tagline would be a lot more constructive.

2. Advertise Thailand as the leading Spa Destination in the world. By most metrics more people on Earth visit Thailand and have a Spa than any other country. That's the sort of claim that any other Asian Destination would Vote Burma out of ASEAN for. It's also the sort of claim that the T.A.T. might listen to if their Advertising Agency actually pitched for the business. (Ever wonder why the hugely succesful 'Amazing Thailand' was axed?)

3.Use the Royal Regatta as a Phuket based water event and tie it in with a grass roots Longboat Charity Race. The sort of thing an international News Programme would film for a spot at the end of the News.

4. The Hong Kong Challenge television series on AXN was very powerful in regaining tourism for Hong Kong, post-SARS. "The Phuket Challenge" would be a robust idea and considerably less expensive than the unreported 900 Million Baht Thrown into Miss Universe 2005.

5. Blogs. Invite 20 of the most visited bloggers in the world to come on holiday in Phuket, and 'tell it like it is'. No spin, No P.R, no kick backs no 'Traditional-Audience-Figures-Media-Agenda' Pay their costs and put them up in The Sheraton Grande Laguna Phuket (Widely reported as destroyed by world news media).

Credit to www.webguruasia for this suggestion.

6. Encourage Gay Tourism: Thailand is one of the most 'gay-tolerant' countries in the world, and largely inoffensive to even the most homophobic traveller (Closet Gay?) Gay media is niche media and needn't harm the overall positioning of the country.

Lastly I'd encourage 'accounting transparency' within a Public to Private Sector marketing communications context. See Picture.

How's that? :D

post-13626-1129213935_thumb.jpg

People overseas are still under the impression that Phuket was destroyed on 26/12.  This is due to the misreporting and downright lies of CNN & BBC, and FOX who arrived a week late and filed their report from in front of the rubbish dumb, inferring that this is what was left........... :o

Ok bob what did they lie about ?

People overseas are still under the impression that Phuket was destroyed on 26/12.  This is due to the misreporting and downright lies of CNN & BBC, and FOX who arrived a week late and filed their report from in front of the rubbish dumb, inferring that this is what was left........... :o

Ok bob what did they lie about ?

One definition in the Macquarie dictionary: Lie -to give a false effect.

In reference to Bob's point above: THEY LIED!!!

For many decades I respected the reporting by the BBC. After the tsunami that respect died when they reported that 50% of the hotels on the island had been destroyed.

They lied.

Today on CNN, a woman reporter travelled with a convoy of 6 or 8 trucks to a village in the mountains of Pakistan were every building was flattened. They showed an obviously staged handing over of blankets to a woman. But that's OK, I'm sure the woman was grateful anyway. But the bit I couldn't understand was what the reporter said when she finished her report. She said "This is <her name - can't remember> from <the village> as yet without aid".

"As yet without aid" ?? But she got there in an aid truck convoy! Very strange. Perhaps, to her, "as yet" means "apart from today and all these trucks that just arrived". :o

Some might question the contribution of appalling mass advertising that would prefer to imply that nothing has happened instead of finding a creative solution to the problem, which is that within the international mindset, perception is stronger than reality. Fix that and the tourists will place Phuket in the consideration set. But please. Leave the cheesy superlative family ads in superalative clean seas to the amateurs. There's a communications issue to solve.

Not Rocket science to fix, but who is listening? "

Yea, they could run the commercials during the Tsunami specials on the Discovery Channel. :o

Families plan their vacations months in advance. Who is gonna bring the wife and kids to a Tsunami disaster area?

Isn't the area on high alert for terrorists?

The taxis are mafia run and everyone knows it.

The tourist area are overdeveloped and run by a bunch of con artists.

Expect a piss test if out for the evening.

Make sure you are in bed by 1am.

Did I mention bird flu?

Not sure if your being sarcastic but..

Never in 4 years here have I been piss tested.. out in the sois a lot..

1 am closure.. erm your not going out in Patrong lately then.. 3 - 3:30 norm for beer bars.. Later for tiger and Tai pan.. dawn for safari / superstars / didi's etc..

Bird flu not yet.. Terrorism not yet..

Tuk tuks you got me there.. Then again not been in one for a couple of years so no need to annoy me..