Phuket Looks Gloomily To The Future -tourist Chief

george

Regrettably, I wholeheartedly agree with the gloomy predictions, and wish I had a bright idea. What I was challenging was the suggestion that a) no-one was interested in clearing up, and :o that Thailand should put the wishes of tourists before anything else and consider them their raison d'etre.

I wonder whether more publicity concerning the new early warning system might be a better approach than cheap flights etc. As has been said, people work all year for their holiday and want to be safe. It's going to take an integrated strategy to deal with this one - how about a publicity drive regarding safety, coupled with modest but worthwhile price cuts and a willingness to confront tuktuk mafiosi etc?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I havn't been to Phuket since 1998. It was just overcrowded, overpriced and overrated at the time. I mean some places just get so over developed that they loose the original charm of the place. In comparison, Koh Samui still retains its original charm although it has now become quite developed. I was considering a cheap long weekend in Phuket, but then all the hassels with the overcharging put me off.

Maybe Phuket needs to learn what value for money means?

I have also heard stories about the ghosts; its not just the Chinese; many asians have this fear, and it will take time for people to forget. Thus, consider Asian tourism will be down for some time to come.

I have lived in a disaster zone once before moving to phuket,

Santa cruz california in the 1989 earthquake.

when some seasoned observers said it would take 10 years

to rebuild the wrecked downtown area, I disagreeed,

a thriving city would be rebuilt quickly, I thought.

well, It did take TEN YEARS!, with a huge debate what to do,

and how, and what to build, and lenders were reluctant etc...

now, 16 years later, there are still unbuilt holes in the city...

in short, I feel phukets recovery will take a lot longer than anyone imagines.

dereklev

Guess that even if people put their businesses up for sale no one would be interested in buying! 

I am sure anyone who previously wanted to set-up a business on Phuket will wait at least a year to look for proper signs of a recovery. 

My friend from Hua Hin (who lost his bar there to a Thai "lady") was down in Phuket about a month ago, looking for a business. He said that anything that was up for sale was extremely expensive !! I have read before that Thais are extremely to take a loss on any sort of deal, but you would think what with the situation there now, that there would be some bargains around??

I was luck to be at Karon Beach that day instead of Patong !! :o

We often would go to Phuket -- last time stayed at the Sea Pearl, which I understand was cleaned out downstairs where all the staff offices (and the breakfast buffet) were...cars sucked into the lobby and more than 20 dead. I wouldn't stay there again.

I too thought Phuket was overpriced and a bit arrogant, but the waters of the Andaman ARE beautiful. If they want to get their 4,000 baht a night again, they're going to have to get the European market back.

This summer, we're going to Koh Samet.

well just look at the bali bombing, during schapelle corby's trial it was reported that tourist numbers were still down by 35% after 2-3 years, its now hammered again because of her trial :D

point is bali was not even damaged like phuket, i agree with the other poster, this is going to take at least 10-years to re-build infrastructure, confidence in tourism, puiblic realtions excerise, even if you offered flights and hotels for free tourist would not come, it takes a lot more than that and thai arrogance :o

dereklev
Guess that even if people put their businesses up for sale no one would be interested in buying! 

I am sure anyone who previously wanted to set-up a business on Phuket will wait at least a year to look for proper signs of a recovery. 

My friend from Hua Hin (who lost his bar there to a Thai "lady") was down in Phuket about a month ago, looking for a business. He said that anything that was up for sale was extremely expensive !! I have read before that Thais are extremely to take a loss on any sort of deal, but you would think what with the situation there now, that there would be some bargains around??

There are far too many negatives out there ! Take my word Phuket will be MASSIVE in the next couple of years, the next high season will be no different from the last high season (prior to 26/12 of course).

The LT is looking even more rosy. Thousands of rooms have been lost in the surrounding areas, Kaolak, Pi-Pi making up the core of them, these are the places that will suffer in the LT and who will pick up all that lost business ? Yes, Phuket !!

This is why Thais in Phuket are not rushing to sell there business's, particularly resorts, they know that they dont need to take a loss. Although at present there is an over supply against demand this will be quite the reverse in the LT.

People expecting a drop in prices will be in for a surprise, as we are already seeing. The fact is it will (and should) continue to be the opposite !! :o

Island hotels and Thai airlines would soon offer Thais and foreigners living in Thailand a Bangkok-Phuket return air ticket, airport pickup and two nights at a three-star hotel for just 3,500 baht ($86) until October, he added,

"We have to do this, otherwise we will surely die." ($US1 = 40.67 baht)

I guess they are choosing to "die" then???

I say this because after checking with ThaiAir, as previously posted, it's either B10,000 or B14,000 (for what I would consider to be "normal" number of 2 people travelling).

Bangkok Air doesn't show ANY packages on their website, only a promotion fare of B1,670 per person per each way (B6,680 for airfare only then).

Phuket Air doesn't even show a package to Phuket, but does offer one to Ranong for B6,700 (B13,400 for 2).

Are there some other airlines that are going to be offering this advertised promotion that I've missed? Or is this just a come-on with the old "bait and switch" sales tactic? If so, nothing like lying and cheating potential customers to win back the hearts of travellers. I do notice the original post says they will "soon offer", but as it ends in October, I would have expected something definitively stated by this time.

Phuket isn't being murdered by the hesitant travellers, it's commiting suicide.

I was expecting to see an avalanche of "Business for sale" ads in the Phuket Gazette over the last few months, but, this hasn't happened. I guess people are still hoping that the next high season will get them through.

Also, these initiatives to attract people to come to Phuket all seem to be initiated by the government. Very few "good deals" being generated by the private sector.

Guess that even if people put their businesses up for sale no one would be interested in buying! :D

I am sure anyone who previously wanted to set-up a business on Phuket will wait at least a year to look for proper signs of a recovery. :o

I find the whole situation quite sad, those pictures are an obvious indication that nobody there really wants to clean the place up, I would guess that people who survived the disaster are mentally scarred and will take a long time to recover (if ever) Can't imagine wanting dig into the ground anywhere for fear of finding human remains which is probably why the place is still a mess, I think we should all remember that this is a disaster area on a huge scale and many of the people that lost their lives are still missing i.e. no body recovered.

The Thai government need to take drastic measures to clean the place up, then make an effort to attract people back.

One thing that puzzles me about Thailand, they don't seem to understand where the countries money comes from i.e. "US" tourists etc, maybe when they realise they will treat us better.

The Thai people have yet to see any money from the Government that was donated from me and all of the other people from all over the world. That is what is wrong with Thailand . You know how many of billions of dollars have been donated and are waiting for a plan of how to reconstruct the areas of damage. Thai government to fricken lazy to help other people. sorry just a glimpse of what i have seen

dereklev

There are far too many negatives out there ! Take my word Phuket will be MASSIVE in the next couple of years

Is it ok if we take your word with an extra large helping of salt?

, the next high season will be no different from the last high season (prior to 26/12 of course).

The LT is looking even more rosy.

Perhaps more so if view with rose-colored spectacles.

Thousands of rooms have been lost in the surrounding areas, Kaolak, Pi-Pi making up the core of them, these are the places that will suffer in the LT and who will pick up all that lost business ? Yes, Phuket !!

or Samui... Samet... Chang... or any number of other Gulf islands along with Gulf shore beaches, as they have already done so.

This is why Thais in Phuket are not rushing to sell there business's, particularly resorts, they know that they dont need to take a loss. Although at present there is an over supply against demand this will be quite the reverse in the LT.

Hmmm... as many examples cited in this thread.... maybe, but then again, maybe not. Certainly nothing wrong with having hope, however.

People expecting a drop in prices will be in for a surprise, as we are already seeing. The fact is it will (and should) continue to be the opposite !! :o

We shall see.... but I'm not holding my breath for a complete recovery withing the foreseeable future. Again, if you are hopeful and have such a high level of optimism... that's fine, too.

I was expecting to see an avalanche of "Business for sale" ads in the Phuket Gazette over the last few months, but, this hasn't happened. I guess people are still hoping that the next high season will get them through.

Also, these initiatives to attract people to come to Phuket all seem to be initiated by the government. Very few "good deals" being generated by the private sector.

Guess that even if people put their businesses up for sale no one would be interested in buying! :D

I am sure anyone who previously wanted to set-up a business on Phuket will wait at least a year to look for proper signs of a recovery. :o

I find the whole situation quite sad, those pictures are an obvious indication that nobody there really wants to clean the place up, I would guess that people who survived the disaster are mentally scarred and will take a long time to recover (if ever) Can't imagine wanting dig into the ground anywhere for fear of finding human remains which is probably why the place is still a mess, I think we should all remember that this is a disaster area on a huge scale and many of the people that lost their lives are still missing i.e. no body recovered.

The Thai government need to take drastic measures to clean the place up, then make an effort to attract people back.

One thing that puzzles me about Thailand, they don't seem to understand where the countries money comes from i.e. "US" tourists etc, maybe when they realise they will treat us better.

Forgive me, but I can't help feeling highly incensed by this view. The idea that nobody wants to clean the place up is asinine: pretty much everywhere I go on the island there is work going on to put things right. It may be slow, but it's happening. As for bodies, I think the full-on rainy season will unearth a lot of horror stories, but people are expecting it.

The greatest disaster at present is the lack of tourists - it is this that threatens livelihoods and standards of living. Perhaps the government could do more, but sitting back and tutting isn't the answer - come to the island and spend money, thereby supporting the local economy and aiding the recovery.

As for not understanding where the money comes from - this takes the biscuit in the arrogance department. May I point out that Phuket is not a Truman Show-esque spectacle for your entertainment. If you ever ventured out of your resort and had a look around the real island and spoke to real people (if you could suppress your arrogance sufficiently to learn even a few polite words in Thai), you'd find that they are a warm and friendly people. How better would you like to be treated?

sorry if i offended, my post was not ment to be arrogant, but very sympathetic, sorry if my words didn't reflect that, i guess if you read again and understand that i have the utmost respect and support for all the people involved in such a tragic event to the point that i personally would like to go there and help anyway i can.

As for my comment on the Thai people/authorities and tourisim, they need to understand that their ecomomy is very much supported by tourisim and people living there through retirement or whatever, I don't want special treatment but I also don't want to be exploited. My own experience.

read my post again

PS - sadamn, what is your position, what are you doing to help, I want to understand why you feel you can criticize, we are all entitled to an opinion, what is yours ? what do you think ?

Edited by gharknes

dereklev

There are far too many negatives out there ! Take my word Phuket will be MASSIVE in the next couple of years, the next high season will be no different from the last high season (prior to 26/12 of course).

The LT is looking even more rosy. Thousands of rooms have been lost in the surrounding areas, Kaolak, Pi-Pi making up the core of them, these are the places that will suffer in the LT and who will pick up all that lost business ? Yes, Phuket !!

I hope you get what you presume, however a disaster that was so Globally Reported will have devastating effects to any local or national economy. Have a look at other disaster areas in the past that have suffered and you will see a sharp, longterm decline in tourism and business opportunity.

I am glad to see your optimism, the future will hold the key to the success of all businesses worldwide effected by this terrible disaster.

Goodluck to all those who are recovering and I hope it is a bright future for all.

Hmmmm, I wonder how much of this to believe. Only last week I enquired about the availability of a property in a newly built complex I've seen under construction just as a barometer to whats happening on the island. It's nowhere near finished. I was informed that every unit is already sold they range from 7-14 million baht and are only apartments and IMO offer little scope for appreciation in the short or medium term!!!!

This would be in stark contrast to those quoting the island as finished???? I realize that this isn't your 2 week hotel and all punter, but still it cuts across that being spouted by the governor.

As for comments made in regard it being over-developed, expensive and showing all the hallmarks of a mini-Bangkok to come, I couldn't agree more, it's exactly why I have said adios after approximately 3 years! The rate of expansion and all the ills of a Hong Kong or Singapore are quite evident, and the traffic congestion appeared to be worstening by the week.

It's just a shame that the people in charge of the island haven't learnt by our mistakes with places of such beauty that have been ruined before. It would be a good time for reflection on where they are taking the island but sadly I don't see anything of a positive nature happening until it's way to late and then if ever.

Mak

Edited by makavelithedon

Hmmmm, I wonder how much of this to believe.  Only last week I enquired about the availability of a property in a newly built complex I've seen under construction just as a barometer to whats happening on the island. It's nowhere near finished.  I was informed that every unit is already sold they range from 7-14 million baht and are only apartments and IMO offer little scope for appreciation in the short or medium term!!!!

This would be in stark contrast to those quoting the island as finished????  I realize that this isn't your 2 week hotel and all punter, but still it cuts across that being spouted by the governor.

As for comments made in regard it being over-developed, expensive and showing all the hallmarks of a mini-Bangkok to come, I couldn't agree more, it's exactly why I have said adios after approximately 3 years!  The rate of expansion and all the ills of a Hong Kong or Singapore are quite evident, and the traffic congestion appeared to be worstening by the week.

It's just a shame that the people in charge of the island haven't learnt by our mistakes with places of such beauty that have been ruined before.  It would be a good time for reflection on where they are taking the island but sadly I don't see anything of a positive nature happening until it's way to late and then if ever.

Mak

So Phuket is the only the place in Thailand with "unfinished" property developments ? This has absolutely nothing to do with Phukets most recent events, if you take a look at other tourist areas its no different, if anything its worse !

All these people in charge such as the Governor dont have a clue, its simple as that ! Its short term negative panic and nothing else. Although Thais are very resilient when faced with such disasters they are a very negative breed and will always assume the worse, someone so much as slips off there motorbike the 1st thing they say is "Hes dead" !

Its not about hoping for recovery or wishful thinking, its plain & simple logic ! Logic says everything will be back to normal and the smart Thai business's know this.

As for the nature lovers out there theres no need to worry, there will always be somewhere else for you to go should Phuket become another Singapore !

PROPERTIES AND BUSINESS ARE NOT FOR SALE CHEAP IN PHUKET, BECAUSE THERE ARE RUMORS of the most important and historical move of Mr. Tax, a DUTY FREE ZONE.

The idea of Phuket as DFZ is old, to be competitive also with Langawi in Malaysia, now the situation is bringing the argument up again, and nobody wants to sell their business when the opportunity might be a lot of $$$

I also would like to add that business id down yes, but nobody is paying taxes anymore, a sort of wild wild west is creating in Phuket a wonderfuil place where to do business.

Anyway if you were looking to buy an apartment in Manhattan on 10th September 2001 or 10th October 2001 ...... nothing for sale sorry!!

Phuket may well have seen its hayday.

It has always been way overpriced compared to other Thai resorts and with the tsunami disaster why would people be hurrying to go back unless they were offered substantial discounts.

There are plenty of other places for tourists to spend their money.

PS - sadamn, what is your position, what are you doing to help, I want to understand why you feel you can criticize, we are all entitled to an opinion, what is yours ? what do you think ?

If I misunderstood your original post, please accept my apologies. In the great scheme of things, what I do is pretty negligible. However, I do what I can in terms of promoting the island in the UK, going back every few weeks, trying to support the local economy rather than the big firms, and so on.

If everyone recognises that to stay in a hotel, go to a restaurant or shop, rent a car - virually anything, really - will help: your custom will help someone keep their job, the resulting income will enable them to feed their families and keep everything ticking and help things improve. Nothing will improve if everyone sits back and says "I'll go back when things are better" - things will only improve if people make it so.

In isolation, what I did on and after 26th December probably didn't amount to much, but lots of us each doing a little amounted to a great deal. The same can still apply.

As regards opinions and criticisms, freedom of speech allows us to offer our views, but that same freedom entitles differing viewpoints to be aired. No-one should expect an opinion to go unchallenged, and if the principle of challenge is not accepted, perhaps opinions should not be ventured in the first place. Vigorous discussion will enlighten all participants, even if their original positions are unchanged.

Now I'm going for a beer.

It has always been way overpriced compared to other Thai resorts and with the tsunami disaster why would people be hurrying to go back unless they were offered substantial discounts.

To the low end tourist yes, its more expensive however, Phuket is not interested in the low end tourist ! The island is more than happy for you cheap Charlie’s to go & sit outside 7/11 in Pattaya, with your 20 baht bottle of Chang in hand !

Your not wanted here ! :o

Hmmmm, I wonder how much of this to believe.  Only last week I enquired about the availability of a property in a newly built complex I've seen under construction just as a barometer to whats happening on the island. It's nowhere near finished.  I was informed that every unit is already sold they range from 7-14 million baht and are only apartments and IMO offer little scope for appreciation in the short or medium term!!!!

This would be in stark contrast to those quoting the island as finished????  I realize that this isn't your 2 week hotel and all punter, but still it cuts across that being spouted by the governor.

As for comments made in regard it being over-developed, expensive and showing all the hallmarks of a mini-Bangkok to come, I couldn't agree more, it's exactly why I have said adios after approximately 3 years!  The rate of expansion and all the ills of a Hong Kong or Singapore are quite evident, and the traffic congestion appeared to be worstening by the week.

It's just a shame that the people in charge of the island haven't learnt by our mistakes with places of such beauty that have been ruined before.  It would be a good time for reflection on where they are taking the island but sadly I don't see anything of a positive nature happening until it's way to late and then if ever.

Mak

Just out of curiosty where are all these great deal, we went there last year in the off season and had a great time we happen to be into bowling and bowled at three different places with in a very short distance. The beach was pretty ( I believe we were in Patong) Had some great meals and sampled the night life one night. It was fun. But in checking the prices posted on the net at the moment I see very little difference in the rates we paid last year.

To the low end tourist yes, its more expensive however, Phuket is not interested in the low end tourist ! The island is more than happy for you cheap Charlie’s to go & sit outside 7/11 in Pattaya, with your 20 baht bottle of Chang in hand !

User name – post info

A troll me thinks!

Just out of curiosty where are all these great deal, we went there last year in the off season and had a great time we happen to be into bowling and bowled at three different places with in a very short distance. The beach was pretty ( I believe we were in Patong) Had some great meals and sampled the night life one night. It was fun. But in checking the prices posted on the net at the moment I see very little difference in the rates we paid last year.

It all depends where it is your looking on the net. It is fact that a very large percentage of the information on the net is not regularly updated, what you must remember Thais are not the most efficient when it comes to this kind of "live" update, one of these in particularly are resorts.

Immediately following the Tsunami 90% of resorts in Phuket reduced there online rates to the previous low season rates, they did this as it appeared to be the most obvious way to go, afterall, they couldn’t exactly revert back to the last Tsunami ! There are a lot of resorts in Phuket which are selling accommodation (along with other business's) much less than the internet are saying, even there own websites.

Unfortunately Thais are still in the age of telephoning for a rate or simply walking thorough the reception doors. They are still not still quite aware of the awesome marketing power of the internet.

As for the “other” activities such as bowling, Patongs "Rock & Bowl" are giving games away for 50 baht per game between 3 & 6pm (I might not be exact there so please excuse me) or 5 games for 200 baht. The usual price is 80/90 baht a game. Of course such a deal will never be seen on the internet, my guess is that they dont even have a website !

So, there are deals out there but unfortunately only being marketed on a local basis, sad as it sounds you need to be here ! :o

Mak

So Phuket is the only the place in Thailand with "unfinished" property developments ? This has absolutely nothing to do with Phukets most recent events, if you take a look at other tourist areas its no different, if anything its worse !

All these people in charge such as the Governor dont have a clue, its simple as that ! Its short term negative panic and nothing else. Although Thais are very resilient when faced with such disasters they are a very negative breed and will always assume the worse, someone so much as slips off there motorbike the 1st thing they say is "Hes dead" !

Its not about hoping for recovery or wishful thinking, its plain & simple logic ! Logic says everything will be back to normal and the smart Thai business's know this.

As for the nature lovers out there theres no need to worry, there will always be somewhere else for you to go should Phuket become another Singapore !

I'm not disagreeing with a lot of what you say, It's just I for one was a little surprised that so many people are still showing such interest in holiday homes (not all are residents) if the place is finished. This is plainly obvious as 'something to do with recent events' e.g tsunami!

Furthermore, it's not that they are unfinshed due to builders being unable (apologies for any ambiguity) it again merley shows that there is not a problem in shifting the units before the final coat of paint has been brushed on with an island apparently suffering such an image and everything else problem post tsunami!!!

As for hotel rates, they were as another poster rightly said lowered after the tsunami and perhaps a large percentage of potential tourists are still after a bargain that they feel is not NOW being offered and will go elsewhere?

Who can blame them, with such a numerous amount of choices available today who wants to take the risk now????

Mak

Edited by makavelithedon

The tourists from Hong Kong aren't going to Phuket due to what they tell me are ghosts.

Don't laugh, for those of you unaware with chinese culture, this place is now considered a graveyard and it will take years for them to return enmass.

yes too many unhappy spirits lurking on the beach and in the water.

to asians it has all the appeal of a holiday in Belsen .

It all depends where it is your looking on the net. It is fact that a very large percentage of the information on the net is not regularly updated, what you must remember Thais are not the most efficient when it comes to this kind of "live" update, one of these in particularly are resorts.

Immediately following the Tsunami 90% of resorts in Phuket reduced there online rates to the previous low season rates, they did this as it appeared to be the most obvious way to go, afterall, they couldn’t exactly revert back to the last Tsunami ! There are a lot of resorts in Phuket which are selling accommodation (along with other business's) much less than the internet are saying, even there own websites.

Unfortunately Thais are still in the age of telephoning for a rate or simply walking thorough the reception doors. They are still not still quite aware of the awesome marketing power of the internet.

As for the “other” activities such as bowling, Patongs "Rock & Bowl" are giving games away for 50 baht per game between 3 & 6pm (I might not be exact there so please excuse me) or 5 games for 200 baht. The usual price is 80/90 baht a game. Of course such a deal will never be seen on the internet, my guess is that they dont even have a website !

So, there are deals out there but unfortunately only being marketed on a local basis, sad as it sounds you need to be here ! :o

You know that really was a fun place to bowl.

Having lived in Thailand for three years now I get real nervous about just showing up. Maybe the thing to do would be book a room for one night and then go searching. If you have a newbie look lots of very intersting things can happen.

You know coming from Southern California, this is a bit hard to understand. Major earthquakes are simply a part of life there. It is choice you make to get a lifestyle you want. When it happens as you know it will you rebuild and move on. There will be a lot more earthquakes in California before another Tsunami hits here. The trick is to learn from mistakes if the house falls down build differently the next time.

Seems the Thais are trying with a warning system. If you worried lessen the risk don't get a hotel on the beach. Stay in a good structure on the higher floors.

Sure things could have been better last time and they would appear to doing just that making things better.

Some things are going to happen in your life no matter wahere you are. I remeber after a very sizeable quake in L.A. in the early 70's a neighbor who was from the south moved back to Oklahoma he had enough of earthquakes, only to be killed by a twister.

As to ghosts boy I don't know each culture has it's on beliefs. But these were not the first people to die on that beach, and I wonder how many times we have stayed in hotels rooms where someone has dies.

Personally I have no fear of visiting Phucket, now as to my wife I don't know. I assume most everything in the tourist areas have been cleaned up by now. The only thing that I believe that could result now is the bodies of those missing may begin at some juncture to start turning up. That would not be a lot of fun.

Thanks for your contribution.

Your not wanted here ! :D

User name – post info

A troll me thinks!

Could someone enlighten me to what this "Troll" means ? What does one have to be or do (or not as the case may be) to be a Troll ? :o

Troll in internet terms is one who goes 'Trolling' (as in fishing) for responses.. They make statements known to inflame / infuriate / cause a reaction..

Some people get great (weird) pleasure from it and spend hours on intenet forums baiting each other.. Subtle techniques like cross posting to multiple diverse usenet groups to get the locals to then continue to fight away without thier interaction seems to make them hard..