New Passport Or Not?

My UK passport has about 1.5 blank pages remaining. My forthcoming retirement extension and re-entry permit will doubtless fill up about 0.75 of a page.

There are a few odd empty spaces which could be used for small visas and entry stamps.

The passport expires in 2013.

Should I carry on filling it up, or get a new one? I don't make many trips, maybe two a year.

Will entry desks refuse entry if the passport is full?

What is the accepted wisdom?

P Ed

You must have at least one blank page and six months validity remaining on your passport when getting a retirement extension of stay and re-entry permit.

Is this verbatim and true for all extensions? I extended my ED visa a couple of months ago with no completely blank pages in my passport. And am due to extend again shortly with enough space for not much more than this next stamp. Planning on getting a new passport for next time but hope I don't have problems this time round.....

You must have at least one blank page and six months validity remaining on your passport when getting a retirement extension of stay and re-entry permit.

Is this verbatim and true for all extensions? ...

No. It is true for what InterestedObserver said, ie the combination of an extension stamp and a re-entry permit stamp use the space of almost one full page. If you have these two types of stamps in your passport, look at them and you will see what InterestedObserver means.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro. So the comment wasn't made as an indication as to any requirements by immigration, just as to how much space these stamps actually take up. Good. As it happens, I actually need a re-entry permit too (never had one before), but I have my doubts as to whether I'll get one given it looks like it would be a very tight squeeze in the last remaining space in my passport. But may as well try and hope I get an immigration offer in a generous mood.

If your passport has no room for entry stamps a re-entry permit is not going to be of much help.

Why not? I plan on getting a new passport when I'm out of the country and was under the impression that I could be stamped back in on arrival in my new passport.

...I plan on getting a new passport when I'm out of the country and was under the impression that I could be stamped back in on arrival in my new passport.

Just remember to carry your old passport with you, too, to show the re-entry permit in it on your return to Thailand, and then to have your local immigration office transfer whatever necessary to the new passport, unless the immigration officer at the point of entry does it himself.

--

Maestro