Book Over Internet Or Wait Till Arrival?

lukeskywalker

Given the fact that tourism has to be low (low season plus the political situation), am I better off booking someplace over the net or waiting until I arrive in Pattaya. I want to be close to where the action is but far enough away where I don't hear it when sleeping. Since I don't know the layout of Pattaya, it is hard to know which hotel fits this request.

Any feedback is appreciated.

You would be better off booking at least a night or two via internet so that you have a place to walk into and put your bags down when you arrive. Then you can explore and maybe find something more appropriate. But, remember that walk-ins are always charged at the highest rate.

There are plenty of internet cafes,enjoy your holiday ,by being flexible.

There will always be plenty of places where the internet is available ,in this low season

He is asking about a hotel room, not asking about using the internet.

I strongly suggest that the OP books somewhere for a couple of nights prior to arriving here. Otherwise where will you know where to go to? It is your first time, don't know the geography, and will probably finish up with a taxi driver taking you somewhere he will get a backhander for bringing a guest.

Look at this hotel

There are plenty of internet cafes,enjoy your holiday ,by being flexible.

There will always be plenty of places where the internet is available ,in this low season

That would be a fantastic holiday,just trawling the internet cafes.

Pattaya is almost empty

You can roll up in a taxi and get a room in most hotels for around 500-700bht a night

You can then look around for a guest house.

I quite like the Queen Pattaya hotel, good position, small pool, 800bht a night (booked in advance) or less ........ (if not booked in advance)

Fairly quiet and near the action.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I have found Thai Hotels to be very reluctant to bargain more than a tiny amount about prices - no matter how bad things are. Do you think that they are offering more than a token amount because things are so miserable now?

Edited by Ulysses G.

I personally prefer to have a reservation for the first one or two nights.

My suggestion would e.g. be "Areca Lodge" on Soi Diana (www.arecalodge.com).

A very nice and guest friendly place, two pools, good breakfast buffet.

Room rates on www.agoda.com starting at 28 Euro / 35 USD (~ 1100 Baht).

Could not find other favorites in the internet booking systems (like "Sandy Spring").

The rates on their homepage (www.sandyspringhotel.com) are not a deal for this time of the year (starting at 1400).

I would suggest having something booked for at least one night. When you get off that long plane ride, then the bus ride to Pattaya you will not be in the mood to go shopping for a room, and the more tired and desperate you look dragging your suitcase around the higher the rate you will be quoted. The so called "rack rates" are always higher than you can get in advance. My suggestion for a cheap place to stay that you can Google and that meets your criteria is the Sawasdee Sea View Hotel on Soi 10. Very cheap, decent but not fancy.

Edited by Bobr

If you are looking for a reasonable cheap place then you will find many of the guest houses in soi LK Metro off soi Diana/soi Bukaow (and other roads in the area) have boards outside advertising discounted deals in the 400-600 baht area. Many of these have falang money and management behind the Thai wife 'owner' so the usual Thai nonsense about keeping prices high when demand is low and not discounting for walk-up trade doesn't apply.

That area is remote enough from Walking Street to be quiet after 2am, but has its own scene and is reasonably close to the heavier action on Walking Street. Pasadena Lodge in the far corner of LK Metro is a nice boutique hotel with room decor miles above the Pattaya average and prices 800-1200 this time of year. Kilkenny opposite is friendly and basic/clean at 500 baht.

These are Guest Houses, so no swimming pool though and I would suggest this area only if you are over say 45. Younger guys tend to want to be within spitting distance of soi7/8 or Walking St.

Good time to go to Pats - half full of falang but still full of girls until the rice growing season kicks off at least!

depends how long you are staying for-------------a 10,000 baht/month condo works out at 333 baht/night for 30 days which is say a 167 baht/night saving which equals over £100 saved which you can put towards car/bike/lady hire

I prefer the diana-oasis.com the friendliest place i have stayed in pattaya and great value for money, but often fully booked, even during off-season, unfortunately. At the moment Pattaya hotels are mostly empty. no problem to find a place. JL.

I have found Thai Hotels to be very reluctant to bargain more than a tiny amount about prices - no matter how bad things are. Do you think that they are offering more than a token amount because things are so miserable now?

Exactly right. Don't expect to roll up and get super discounts just because it is slow. As an example, a friend booked into Eastiny Plaza on Soi 8 just recently. Back in October 2008 they were offering low season rooms for 1000 baht and 1200 in high season. Now, this year, in a very quiet low season they wouldn't budge from 1350.

Edited by tropo