Are There Any Osteopaths In Chiang Mai?

DavidOxon

Hi Guys and Gals. . .

Title says it all really!

After 5 months mainly on my back with a pinched disk that's not getting any better,

I'm looking for an osteo, or anyone really that can help without

doing further damage!

Any info out there in TVland?

Thanks

david

~

Seems I recall this coming up a while back but don't recall any success.

I am not a fan of what in America we call 'bone-crusher' Chiropractors either.

Both my wife and I have been to Leeper and he is quite gentle and very effective indeed..

As far as I know, I would say, no. Not in Chiang Mai anyway?

It may be worthwhile making enquiries at a hospital, if you haven’t already done so, such as the Ram. Perhaps they would know of a qualified Osteopath or recommend one.

Another treatment you could try, as this worked for me, is the dry heat treatment. A Doctor in England taught me this after I suffered some dislocations from a car accident.

You need one large plastic washing up bowl.

A pair of good quality rubber household washing up gloves.

And a medium sized towel.

Boil a kettle and pour the boiling water into the bowl.

Put on the rubber gloves.

Put the towel into the boiling water.

Wring the water out of the towel so that it is hot but not dripping wet.

Lay the towel onto the affected area. When the towel begins to lose heat, repeat the process several times.

Continue the treatment about 3 times per day.

The heat Penetrates the affected part, expands the muscles that releases any trapped nerves and makes the area suppler.

As I say it worked for me. Give it a go and see if it works for you.

Edited by BigWheelMan

Lay the towel onto the affected area. When the towel begins to lose heat, repeat the process several times.

The heat Penetrates the affected part, expands the muscles that releases any trapped nerves and makes the area suppler.

What about a hot water bottle?

Not sure what a "pinched disc" is, if the disc is bulging out a microdiscectomy may be called for.

In my experience however surgery is best avoided like the plague, most back pain whether or not kicked off for other reasons is actually caused by muscle tension/spasm/inflammation initially set off by trying to avoid certain positions. Your back may go back completely to normal even after a long time. I recovered from something which caused incredible spasm, and numbness in the genitals and leg. I have lost the use of a muscle in my calf permanently it seems. However my "back" has never had a better seven year period, with no surgical intervention.

If you have a moderately resilient stomach try taking the antiinflammatory voltaren. After a lifetime of bad backs my sister and I think about 50% of the time Voltaren, often even just for a day or two, will break the vicious circle of pain and and the tension resulting.

Good luck.

Edited by sleepyjohn
  • Thumbs Up 1

You could try those Thai herbal balls that they heat up and gently pound you with. I had a bad problem with my neck last year and they did really help me a lot. I went 3-4 times per week to a very good place. I could find the name of the place but I don't recall the name of the therapist.

Also, why not try the American Chiropractor? To the best of my knowledge - well I'm sure this is the case in America - that an Osteopath is a doctor trained in Chiropractic who can also prescribe drugs. I've been to both in the States. They both gave me an adjustment. The Osteopath prescribed Cortisone pills as well.

Hope you feel better soon!

It may be worthwhile making enquiries at a hospital, if you haven’t already done so, such as the Ram. Perhaps they would know of a qualified Osteopath or recommend one.

Another treatment you could try, as this worked for me, is the dry heat treatment. A Doctor in England taught me this after I suffered some dislocations from a car accident.

Interesting, the treatment that was recommended to me and which I used sucessfully was to apply ice (a bag of frozen peas works best).

Interesting, the treatment that was recommended to me and which I used sucessfully was to apply ice (a bag of frozen peas works best).

Some doctors recommend applying heat and ice; alternating between one and the other.

Hi David,

About 3 months or so ago I suffered the same that you have, severe pain in the lower back, left buttock & left leg. It was so bad I couldn't sleep, & I would toss & turn all night trying to get a comfortable position (to no avail).

I them saw on TV a post about redemial massage. I visited one particular establishment 2 or 3 times. They were good strong massages & provided some relief, but the problem was still there.

Fortunately I ran into a friend of mine & after some discussion he recommended professional therapist whom has his own clinic which is in the Soi that runs down the side of Samsung Service Centre (on the outer moat road, northern side)

Tomorrow is my 11th appointment. The therapist has tertiary qualifications (including at least one from the US), is not a massurer (by that I mean like other establishments from head to toe), & only treats the problem area. In my case he uses medications that are applied via (I think) a high frequency machine, hot & cold packs, stretching & pressure to the problem area. Now I have NO pain in my back, a slight pain in my buttock & some slight 'pins & needles' in my left calf.

One by one this therapist is removing all problems.

Appointments are necessary, & he charges (me) B300/hr.

This place is called Mae Ping Physical Therapy Clinic, & is in shop 23 halway down the Soi on the right hand side. Telephone number is 053 404 541.

Hope this may be of help

Kevin

swimming and maybe more importantly for many (myself included) - weight loss, are great for spinal injuries. Used to have to pop my lower spine back in place at an osteopaths clinic in the UK for about 2 years, but the last 8 years it seems that some yoga type movements help more. I met a yank once in Hong Kong who ran a great jazz bar there for half the year, and then came to CM to run his chiropract(ing)? clinic. I dont know where...

David,

For future reference, should I need to go down the medical path (& I hope not), could you please advise where & how much your MRI cost you.

Tks Kevin

HI Kevin . . . . saw the retired asst prof at Sripat? Government hospital (off the western side of the moat)

the cost of the MRI was around 9000 baht, and surprisingly uncomfortable!

I don't suffer from claustraphobia (Wreck diving, cave diving, caving having been previous hobbies)

But started to feel really panicky in the MRI machine! If you have any tendencies that way,

a vallium or something first might be a good idea!

david

swimming and maybe more importantly for many (myself included) - weight loss, are great for spinal injuries. Used to have to pop my lower spine back in place at an osteopaths clinic in the UK for about 2 years, but the last 8 years it seems that some yoga type movements help more. I met a yank once in Hong Kong who ran a great jazz bar there for half the year, and then came to CM to run his chiropract(ing)? clinic. I dont know where...

Hi WR

That was advice I got from the Doc . . .

I'm lucky enough to live 2 mins from a 25m pool and swim twice a day.

Though not a large person, I've managed to lose 22lb in the last few months . .

mainly (I think) because the pain meds I take suppress my appetite which is an added benefit!

For once my BMI falls within 'normal' parameters

A friendly osteo in the UK suggested squatting and trying to touch my head to my knees

to stretch the spine into a bow shape, and then coughing as the internal expansion caused by this

can somtimes open up the spinal joints a little! I tried, but no difference, I tried doing it

and then sneeezing, but that really did hurt!!!

david

I think I'll try Dr Leaper once the car is back from the garage!

It may be worthwhile making enquiries at a hospital, if you haven't already done so, such as the Ram. Perhaps they would know of a qualified Osteopath or recommend one.

Yep, Captain Birdseye Frozen Peas, has got me out of trouble in the early hours of the morning - highly recommended........but they must be Captain Birdseye. :)

• 7 months later...

the only one I know is Dr. Ken Leaper the chiropractor.

He doesn't have an x ray machine however so you might want to get it imaged and diagnosed first and then go to him with the x rays.

If its a bulging disc then chiropractors are fairly effective.

The phone number you listed, 053 240020, does not work anymore. Would you know how/where to find/contact Dr. Ken Leaper (or: Leeper?). Thank you for your help!

To the best of my limited knowledge a Osteopath Is a medical Doctor who can prescribe medicine as well as operate. Generally they are not big fans of Chiropractors.

A Chiropractor bends you and twists you to bring the bones back into line and a

Physical Therapist gives you exercises and uses various type's of machines. Some heat some vibration.

For myself I have used a Chiropractor for years and it has always helped me.

When I broke my ankle I used a Osteopath and he did what none of the others could do.

My suggestion is to make up your mind which system you want to try and then try it if no help try another. And use the heat therapy or the cold therapy or combine them. Up to you.

What ever you do I hope it works out well

I believe the bigger hospitals have Physical Therapist. And I know five years ago Ram had a Osteopath

Not sure where to get a Chiropractor.

To the best of my limited knowledge a Osteopath Is a medical Doctor who can prescribe medicine as well as operate. Generally they are not big fans of Chiropractors.

A Chiropractor bends you and twists you to bring the bones back into line and a

Physical Therapist gives you exercises and uses various type's of machines. Some heat some vibration.

For myself I have used a Chiropractor for years and it has always helped me.

When I broke my ankle I used a Osteopath and he did what none of the others could do.

My suggestion is to make up your mind which system you want to try and then try it if no help try another. And use the heat therapy or the cold therapy or combine them. Up to you.

What ever you do I hope it works out well

I believe the bigger hospitals have Physical Therapist. And I know five years ago Ram had a Osteopath

Not sure where to get a Chiropractor.

FYI an Osteopath is a Chiropractor who can prescribe medication. They are not surgeons. They were popular in the USA back in the 1960's.

I doubt that C.M. Ram had an Osteopath on staff.

David,

For future reference, should I need to go down the medical path (& I hope not), could you please advise where & how much your MRI cost you.

Tks Kevin

Only Suan Dok and CMR have MRI's

The last one I had at Ram was 8,000 (2 months ago), Suan Dok charges 13,000, justified they say by having a newer machine that can glean more information from the process.

You pays your money you takes your choice

the only one I know is Dr. Ken Leaper the chiropractor.

He doesn't have an x ray machine however so you might want to get it imaged and diagnosed first and then go to him with the x rays.

If its a bulging disc then chiropractors are fairly effective.

The phone number you listed, 053 240020, does not work anymore. Would you know how/where to find/contact Dr. Ken Leaper (or: Leeper?). Thank you for your help!

I just dialed it and it works fine now. Maybe try it again

David,

Tks Kevin

Only Suan Dok and CMR have MRI's

The last one I had at Ram was 8,000 (2 months ago), Suan Dok charges 13,000, justified they say by having a newer machine that can glean more information from the process.

You pays your money you takes your choice

I wonder how it's possible to find out if this price difference is really justified.

It's a heck of a difference, you could almost get 2 for the price of 1.

• 12 years later...

Hey everyone,

I stumbled upon this old thread while searching for an osteopath in Chiang Mai, and I just had to share my recent experience as hopefully it could still be valuable to newcomers looking for a reliable osteopath in town.

I visited Osteopath Chiang Mai recently, and it was outstanding! She is super knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive. The facility is clean and welcoming, adding to the overall experience.

If anyone is looking for a reliable osteopath I highly recommend giving this place a go: https://osteopathchiangmai.co/

Hope this helps someone out there!

Edited by JasoninCM

7 hours ago, MrBrad said:

Where is this place located?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sAob22NwzRvmMGwm9

It is hard for a new medical business to establish itself by honest word of mouth advertisement.

It is equally hard for potential patients to ascertain the quality of the practitioner. 

Please take this caveat in the confusing medical field. 

I would be interested to hear reliable reports of any  reputable members to the above practitioner. 

Alternatively there is an established Osteopathic doctor in Chiang Mai:

Dr. Ben Thompson
Chiang Mai Osteopathy

+66 83 832 5805

Charges 1000 THB for diagnosis and chiropractic(?) manipulation 

Osteopath with degrees from University of Cambridge and London School of Hygiene

Office is north of Ruamchok Mall

Chiang Mai Osteopathy
083 804 0605
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YnCv2CXC3aZirMYG7

He is very knowledgeable and his degrees are impressive.

When I went to him with a friend I was expecting the gentle osteopathic treatments familiar to me. I was surprised when his treatments of my friend included more seemingly traditional chiropractic elements. I didn't want to cut into the allotted 30min time of my friend so I didn't get a chance to ask for the reason. 

Edited by Barley
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Barley said:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sAob22NwzRvmMGwm9

It is hard for a new medical business to establish itself by honest word of mouth advertisement.

It is equally hard for potential patients to ascertain the quality of the practitioner. 

Please take this caveat in the confusing medical field. 

I would be interested to hear reliable reports of any  reputable members to the above practitioner. 

Alternatively there is an established Osteopathic doctor in Chiang Mai:

Dr. Ben Thompson
Chiang Mai Osteopathy

+66 83 832 5805

Charges 1000 THB for diagnosis and chiropractic(?) manipulation 

Osteopath with degrees from University of Cambridge and London School of Hygiene

Office is north of Ruamchok Mall

Chiang Mai Osteopathy
083 804 0605
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YnCv2CXC3aZirMYG7

He is very knowledgeable and his degrees are impressive.

When I went to him with a friend I was expecting the gentle osteopathic treatments familiar to me. I was surprised when his treatments of my friend included more seemingly traditional chiropractic elements. I didn't want to cut into the allotted 30min time of my friend so I didn't get a chance to ask for the reason. 

I've been to see Ben, his father is from the UK and mother from Thailand, he went to the same school of Osteopathy in London as a friend of mine did, who practices in the UK. 

• Like 2