Any Decent Bars In Bkk?

w11guy

Are there are decent bars in BKK? I know there are plenty of downmarket places in cowboy, nana, etc. But where are the more sophisticated places where you can take a girl on a night out without there being bar girls crawling all over the place. I'd like to find some cool bars, not somewhere where you have to dress very smartly. Do they exist at all?

Edited by w11guy

There are many normal nice bars/pubs. Try the ones on mid sukhumvit, soi 33/1, bullshead or robin hood, and opposite the road (lever sukh. 31 there is the dubliner, an irish pub.

Level of soi 16, close to sheraton there is the black swan

Some in silom soi convent too

Between Sukhumvit 5 and 7, just onthe left towards 7 is a very nice little place. Unfortunately the name esacapes** although I go there a lot, but others will know it because of the Philippino Girl singers, who are outstanding. You can watch the show whilst having a meal on a smallish balcony.

The Huntsman in the Landmark Hotel is rather good too, also with excellent live music and quite a generous two drinks for one the last time I was there.

** Somebody help me with the name .... silly!!

Between Sukhumvit 5 and 7, just onthe left towards 7 is a very nice little place. Unfortunately the name esacapes** although I go there a lot, but others will know it because of the Philippino Girl singers, who are outstanding. You can watch the show whilst having a meal on a smallish balcony.

The Huntsman in the Landmark Hotel is rather good too, also with excellent live music and quite a generous two drinks for one the last time I was there.

Could be Sanuk bar.

... But where are the more sophisticated places .... not somewhere where you have to dress very smartly. Do they exist at all

There are many sophisticated venues but they would rather you in fact dress smartly,

:)

Edited by cobra

"THE CHECK INN" is the unlikely name however, there are most definitely "working girls" within. My last time there a few years ago, it had an unpleasant, dank smell.

They used to employ a midget: ...whoops...I mean height challenged doorman.

Edited by dddave

Downmarket indeed speak for yourself.

Try Japan!

I agree! As soon as I read "downmarket" I lost the desire to advise. I have been in many places with my wife where some people might have thought it was upmarket only to spot girls working in there.

If the OP is such a snob how does he know about downmarket bars? Remember that many people enjoy them.

Try Vertigo Bar, it's an absolutely amazing bar on the 62nd floor at the top of Batyon Tree on Sathorn Road if a little on the pricey side. If you can't be arsed desruffifying then you can enjoy the view of the Banyon Tree from the bottom as you won't be allowed in the bar..

Strange question!

Of couse there are bars here that don't have girls hassling you. There is more to Bangkoks nightlife than just Cowboy/Nana and Patpong. Like any major city there are loads of amazing bars of all sorts catering for all different types of people. There are also alot more than just the hotel bars and farang pubs like the other posts have mentioned.

There are loads of great bars around the Victory monument area. There's places like Brown Sugar on Sarasin for live music. And hundreds of bars of all sorts on Thonglor and Ekamai. These places don't expect you to dress up like you would for a hotel bar. But they are bars not pubs, so you'd feel out of place in a Beer Chang t-shirt and flipflops.

Pick up a copy of BK magazine or look on their website, they always have alot about the bar scene in Bangkok in most editions

IMO this question is so wrongly written it's not worthy of response. Hope i dont see you in any of my cool bars :)

No offence meant in the question. Pubs aren't my thing and I don't want to take a girl to a place full of prostitues. I'm looking for a cool, trendy bar. It's just my personal preference. If anyones from London, they may know the kind of bars I need - something like you get in central London, Notting Hill, etc. Nice atmosphere, nice cocktails, decent imported bottle beers, modern decor.

Downmarket indeed speak for yourself.

Try Japan!

I agree! As soon as I read "downmarket" I lost the desire to advise. I have been in many places with my wife where some people might have thought it was upmarket only to spot girls working in there.

If the OP is such a snob how does he know about downmarket bars? Remember that many people enjoy them.

I'm not a snob. I have drunk in all types of bars over the years and I have friends who love downmarket bars and I go with them sometimes.Yes, lots of people love them and that is great. I don't have a problem with it. But I prefer a more relaxed environment with more modern, minimalist decor and imported beer. That's just a personal preference. It's got nothing to do with being a snob.

Whether a place is downmarket or not has nothing to do with how many people enjoy them. It doesn't mean that everyone should be forced to go to them all the time and be called a snob if they don't go to them all the time.

Edited by w11guy

Try Vertigo Bar, it's an absolutely amazing bar on the 62nd floor at the top of Batyon Tree on Sathorn Road if a little on the pricey side. If you can't be arsed desruffifying then you can enjoy the view of the Banyon Tree from the bottom as you won't be allowed in the bar..

That sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Just to clarify, I'm not scruffy at all. Most people would say my dress sense is smart and trendy. This means jeans and shirts. In London you can get in some of the very expensive clubs wearing jeans. The emphasis is on being smart and trendy. There are other places where you have to dress more formally - no jeans and maybe even a tie -these are the places I don't want to go to because it just isn't my style. And just before one of the others say it, it's nothing to do with snobbery. I've been to these places after work. I just don't find them fun and don't enjoy wearing those kind of clothes. I'm definitely not a suit person. I wore them enough during my office working years.

Strange question!

Of couse there are bars here that don't have girls hassling you. There is more to Bangkoks nightlife than just Cowboy/Nana and Patpong. Like any major city there are loads of amazing bars of all sorts catering for all different types of people. There are also alot more than just the hotel bars and farang pubs like the other posts have mentioned.

There are loads of great bars around the Victory monument area. There's places like Brown Sugar on Sarasin for live music. And hundreds of bars of all sorts on Thonglor and Ekamai. These places don't expect you to dress up like you would for a hotel bar. But they are bars not pubs, so you'd feel out of place in a Beer Chang t-shirt and flipflops.

Pick up a copy of BK magazine or look on their website, they always have alot about the bar scene in Bangkok in most editions

Thanks for that. I now know where to start looking. Maybe a strange question but I'm new to BKK and everywhere I've walked arund Sukhumvit and Silom I've had girls hassling me. I go around wearing a chamge t-shirt and flip flops. I will check out the magazine.

Check out the roof top bar at the Le Bua State Tower in Silom. It's exactly what you are asking for. You won't be dissappointed. She will be impressed.

I'm moving to Silom, so I'll check this out. Thanks.

"THE CHECK INN" is the unlikely name however, there are most definitely "working girls" within. My last time there a few years ago, it had an unpleasant, dank smell.

They used to employ a midget: ...whoops...I mean height challenged doorman.

^^^ They do have OK food, and a balcony where you can watch the singing, they also have 'HELLOOOO' girls sitting just outside the gents every time you need a slash... being in the heart of the redlight district, it is mainly patronised by men with a significant other who is or was availble for rent... Not a bad place for a quiet meal before kicking off large near by...

Sophisticated compared to most other offerings on Soi 4 or Soi 7... but not by any other measure...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Long Table on Sukhumvit Soi 16 is exactly what you're looking for. It's in Column Tower. Chilled environment, inside/outside seating, great view, good tunes, smart but relaxed dress-code and a wicked cocktail list. And no, I'm not getting commission lol.

That sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Just to clarify, I'm not scruffy at all. Most people would say my dress sense is smart and trendy. This means jeans and shirts. In London you can get in some of the very expensive clubs wearing jeans. The emphasis is on being smart and trendy. There are other places where you have to dress more formally - no jeans and maybe even a tie -these are the places I don't want to go to because it just isn't my style. And just before one of the others say it, it's nothing to do with snobbery. I've been to these places after work. I just don't find them fun and don't enjoy wearing those kind of clothes. I'm definitely not a suit person. I wore them enough during my office working years.

You can get in with jeans but think that you may need to wear shoes and a shirt too. Just make sure that your girlfriend has a long skirt or trousers on as many get turned away for skirts above the knee. Try and get there before sunset and you can watch the sun go down on Bangkok from one of the most spectacular bars on the planet.

You can get in with jeans but think that you may need to wear shoes and a shirt too. Just make sure that your girlfriend has a long skirt or trousers on as many get turned away for skirts above the knee. Try and get there before sunset and you can watch the sun go down on Bangkok from one of the most spectacular bars on the planet.

Instead of taking if's and maybe's as gospel, just call them for the dress code for crying out loud.

Wow, there are so many great upscale bars around it is incredible. I am a bit surprised at some of the responses.

I agree with the guy who mentioned BK - although myself, I would recommend Guru.

I did not see your age, and that makes a big difference. I think from the way you sound you don't have to worry about dressing - but if you have to ask, don't bother going to any of these places.

The old standards are Bed Supperclub and QBar. Hands down two of the most popular bars for foreigners and Thais with foreign experience. They also renovated Narcissus off Suk Soi 23 - similar dance club thing to Bed & QBar. Right across from QBar is the Nest at La Fenix restaurant - outdoors on the roof. They have a giant "roll on" roof if it rains. Even has a sandy beach area, couches to lay on.

Most of the higher end bars are in hotels or high end apartment buildings. Lately, the hot spot has been Hyde/Seek on Soi Ruam Rudee. This is also where Admakers moved to - but that is certainly not hot anymore. Witches Oyster on Ruam Rudee is a great place - old wood, pub type feel, but targeted at the workers in All Seasons. Not a "hot" bar, but always good. A bit better when they had their larger menu, but still ...

Other people mentioned Siroccos in State Tower, which is pricey and very nice. Last time I was there 2 drinks and 2 beers ran about 1,600. Vertigo is also in that price range as well. Both are amazing venues, well worth your time. I have not been there in a while, but Long Table in Column Residence on Suk Soi 16 was super hot about a year ago, but I have heard it is falling (or fell) out. Still, beautiful place designed by Orbit (designers of Bed).

V9 in the Sofitel (Silom Soi 18 if I remember correctly) is a great place, mainly a wine bar and very nice. Nui's on Silom, close to the Sofitel, is also a nice place.

The Diplomat in the Conrad has completely lost favor, and I think just about died when they banned smoking. Last time I was there they had some great Jazz band. Nice, old feel to it. Was a while ago since I have been smoking stogies there.

Don't bother with 87 in the Conrad, or Spazzo's in the Hyatt Erawan. However, there are some very nice, relaxing wine/food bars down in the basement of the Erawan. Pricing is quite reasonable as well.

There are also other nice wine bars, Opus & Wine Pub for instance. I think it is the Wine Connection (Soi 30 something?) which has some seated areas to drink in a pleasant atmosphere.

The La Meridian on Suriwong has a stunning bar/sushi bar, but not sure how popular it is. Great place to take a woman though. Top of the Pan Pacific on Rama IV is a nice little venue - can't remember the name right now, but worth going to for sure. I think the Australian Chamber Sundowners is having their Commonwealth event there tonight. Good happy hour, great food, reasonable prices.

Brown Sugar is a good place, but not upscale. Not saying you won't get upscale people there. But it is an old looking blues/jazz bar.

Once you hit the Thong Lo/Ekkamai area, there are lots of places out there. Many for younger Thais. There is a new place called Iron Faires which is really hot now. But it is tiny, and even with only 2 people you might not get in without reservations. Your girl should recognize a few famous people hanging about. And no other place in BKK will you get the jazz band actually playing in the middle of the crowd. You are sharing the same space as the singer.

Again, depending on age there is also Funky Villa and Demo for the younger Thai crowd (up to about 28 - 30 yo) on Ekkamai Soi 10. They just opened a place in the same compound called Embassy which is targeted at a bit more mature crowd. Nice place, even have champagne & oyster bar on Sundays. It is quite new, not sure how it is doing yet. To Die For on Thong Lo has lost its popularity, but a nice place with reasonable prices, good food, and a great area outside to lay down on and relax.

Red Sky and Zence were also quite nice (Central World), but I am not sure about the status of those. Red Sky is a bit touristy, but might be open as I heard (but don't know) that Centara Grande is still open.

Spring & Summer on Soi Prom Mit off Suk 39 is much more of a restaurant, but could pass as a bar in good weather when you can hang outside.

I can go on, but really, check with Guru/BK and see what is happening.

Strange question!

Thanks for that. I now know where to start looking. Maybe a strange question but I'm new to BKK and everywhere I've walked arund Sukhumvit and Silom I've had girls hassling me. I go around wearing a chamge t-shirt and flip flops. I will check out the magazine.

This should have read... I DON'T go around wearing a change t-shirt and flip flops.

The Gazebo Bar just around the corner from Kao Saan Rd.

Nice Decor and cool and trendy. Smart and casual. No obvious working girls. I know what you mean about London bars etc. I think you will like Gazebo Bar. Also a club attatched which opens later .... yeah I reckon you will like ....

The wine bar in basement of the Hyatt erawan (next to spassos)- great place for a date, reasonable wine prices and always full with an after work crowd (busiest from 5- 730 pm) then gets abit quieter.

Silly question,

How about some exploration yourself, it isn't so difficult to find places your looking for in Bangkok.

If you walk up and down from Sukumvit Nana to Soi 7/1 and back yes understand.

Just look around, read newspapers and tourist magazines.

Silly question,

How about some exploration yourself, it isn't so difficult to find places your looking for in Bangkok.

If you walk up and down from Sukumvit Nana to Soi 7/1 and back yes understand.

Just look around, read newspapers and tourist magazines.

or if he's really really smart he could even come on Thai Visa and chat with some nice friendly helpful local clued up guys and save himself some potentially disappointing leg work, heat and lots of harrassments from ladyboys :D

but thats only if he's smart of course :)