Vientiane Tourist Visa Update

On Wednesday I applied for a double entry Tourist Visa at the Thai Consulate in Vientiane.

It was an especially quite day with only around 30 People in line when the gate was opened.

When I handed in my application the clerk flipped through my passport stopped and looked at one of my previous visa momentarily and then sent me to the main building to collect my receipt.

Today I picked up my Passport with a new double entry tourist visa inside.

This was my fifth consecutive double entry from Vientiane, I also have a Single entry from Singapore from a few years back.

Also in My Passport are three Non-immigrant Bs (With several extensions from 15 days to 1 Month) Several 30 day runs to Mae Sai and about four pages of transfered stamps from a lost passport.

I am In my 30s, Unmarried (legally), and not working. While I do not consider myself a tourist it is considered the defacto visa for those who do not qualify for any other type, I have been told this by immigration officials in Chiang Mai and Bangkok after they removed the 30 day border runs.

I don't know if any of this information will help anyone or not.

Its all about luck!!! Was at the Vientiane consulate on Tuesday morning with passport and application in hand. The lady took my application and passport. After flipping through the pages she handed the application and passport back to me and said she could not take my application for a tourist visa. No rejection stamp or anything on the passport, just not accepted for processing.

I've had many tourist visa's previously, a double most recently, but have also flew to America this past December so technically only one double-entry. Its all about how she/he feels if you've had too many.

PS... Another person I was with had many more previous visas, but applied with a new/clean passports. He got two tourist visa with no problem. Its not the computer, its the person taking the application.

Best of Luck!

The only silver lining at the moment is that they are free or she would of accepted your application and then the next day rejected it and you would of been out of pocket,i am sure they feel a bit mythed about this at the moment.

So what you are saying is there a possibility you could try again the next day or with another worker? you never had a rejected stamp put in your passport!

You do know that the guys outside are charging 2000 bt to get a double for you? they do it all and deliver to your accomadation/bar.

Honestly, I never even thought to just run outside and pay a service to get it for me... I should have asked sooner!

Think I'm going to try the ED visa. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks!

The only silver lining at the moment is that they are free or she would of accepted your application and then the next day rejected it and you would of been out of pocket,i am sure they feel a bit mythed about this at the moment.

So what you are saying is there a possibility you could try again the next day or with another worker? you never had a rejected stamp put in your passport!

You do know that the guys outside are charging 2000 bt to get a double for you? they do it all and deliver to your accomadation/bar.

Its all about luck!!! Was at the Vientiane consulate on Tuesday morning with passport and application in hand. The lady took my application and passport. After flipping through the pages she handed the application and passport back to me and said she could not take my application for a tourist visa. No rejection stamp or anything on the passport, just not accepted for processing.

I've had many tourist visa's previously, a double most recently, but have also flew to America this past December so technically only one double-entry. Its all about how she/he feels if you've had too many.

PS... Another person I was with had many more previous visas, but applied with a new/clean passports. He got two tourist visa with no problem. Its not the computer, its the person taking the application.

Best of Luck!

Think you hit the nail on the head "No rejection stamp' because then you can go outside and pay some shark 2000 baht and he will acquire with no problem. A rejection stamp then a visa granted is not going to look good, same happened to me and two others I know. Numbers at consulates have decreased dramatically since the troubles in BKK, so not enough newbies to pay 2000 to the touts. No point having total power if you cant abuse it. W..kers

^Yes they have got to get their extras(pay for the car) from somebody and the touts will be giving a good 50% back into the kitty you can be sure of that.

It only takes the Thais a little time to realise there is a cunning plan Baldrick.

So a lot of people on here should be ready and prepared now for the knockbacks and then take a hop outside hand over your 2k and everybodys happy :) TIT wonderful!

What is the the saying.....nothing is free in Thailand!

Best of Luck!

The guy told me the same 2 weeks ago,cannot give you a tr visa because i did not fill in a telephone number where i stay in Vientiane.Went outside the embassy and speak with a Laos man who was sitting opposite and told him the problem.He have me a tel number from a hotel in Vientiane,i payed him 100bth and went back to the embassy.The look at the application form and say to me,ok pick up passport tommorow.Went back the day after.Double tourist and for free.So to anybody don,t forget to write a tel number from where you stay.

A little off topic but does anyone know of a motorcycle / scooter rental place at or near the border (Laos side)? Would love to have my own transport around town and be able to drive myself back to the border quickly after picking up my double visa (fingers crossed). Thanks

The situatio i found in Laos is that they wanted you to leave your passport with them as security for there motorbike,so it is not a good idea is it if you are going to get your visa.

Also i have had a look around the border shops there and i never saw a bike rental place,plenty in town though 60,000 kip a day was the best i found.

The guy told me the same 2 weeks ago,cannot give you a tr visa because i did not fill in a telephone number where i stay in Vientiane.Went outside the embassy and speak with a Laos man who was sitting opposite and told him the problem.He have me a tel number from a hotel in Vientiane,i payed him 100bth and went back to the embassy.The look at the application form and say to me,ok pick up passport tommorow.Went back the day after.Double tourist and for free.So to anybody don,t forget to write a tel number from where you stay.

There is no place on the application form to write out the name or telephone of where you stay in Vientiane. There is a place to indicate the name and address of a local guarantor, but that would only be for Laos applicants.

I have just printed off my visa application form for a new double TV, as Im going there on Monday, where did you put the hotel name and telephone number? as I was wondering about this after reading your post?

also do I leave the local guarantor bit blank? or put the hotel info there?

cheers

The Local Guarantor is your Hotel or person you are staying with. Unless you are Lao you can not be your own guarantor.

There is a line on the form for every piece of information they require.

I would put "self" in local guarantor section. Hotel address/phone number can be squeezed in in space at top of visa application form.

Edited by Lordfoul

I have no doubt that they accept self, but that doesn't mean it is accurate. If you can be your own guarantor then there would be no reason for the question to exist.

Specifically speaking of the Thai visa form for the consulate in Laos if you properly fill out the form using an actual guarantor instead of self then you will also be supplying them with the Hotel information they require instead of fumbling around in front of the clerk looking for this information at a time when they are apparently rejecting applications at the window.

I have always used "self" in 50 years of travel and it has always been accepted. Even in India where they must have the most bureaucratic paperwork system in the world.

A guarantor is someone (or an entity) who will take responsibility for you if you fail to take responsibility for yourself it is not the same thing as a guardian or someone who provides financial support.

The hotel by providing you a place to stay is taking a certain responsibility for you being there. Just as an airline that take you into another country as a tourist has a responsibility in making sure you plan to return (at least on long haul international trips)

That being said I have never heard of a situation where a hotel has been held responsible for one of it's customers, although I have a heard of airlines having to take responsibility for a passenger who decided not to return.

It makes it totally accurate - I am paying my bills.

In 10 applications for tourist visas in Vientiane (my gf and I x 5) I had ALWAYS left the "local guarantor" area blank and had never been asked for the hotel address and telephone number.

Two days ago this changed when the clerk asked me for the address and telephone number of our hotel in Vientiane. I've seen this discussed on threads in this forum too and most suggested leaving it blank, which leads me to believe it's a new idea.

So let's make it official for new applicants:

Put your hotel address and telephone number in the "Local Guarantor" space.

I was there last week and confirm that we were told to do exactly this. It doesn't matter whether we think it doesn't make sense.
In 10 applications for tourist visas in Vientiane (my gf and I x 5)

Did they still grant you a new Tourist Visa after already having 4 in your passport? I now have 3 and was a bit worried that they may reject my application on my next trip.

I thought your girlfriend was refused a Tourist Visa in the past. Did they now grant one for her this time?

Edited by hyperdimension

I was there last week and confirm that we were told to do exactly this. It doesn't matter whether we think it doesn't make sense.
In 10 applications for tourist visas in Vientiane (my gf and I x 5)

Did they still grant you a new Tourist Visa after already having 4 in your passport? I now have 3 and was a bit worried that they may reject my application on my next trip.

I thought your girlfriend was refused a Tourist Visa in the past. Did they now grant one for her this time?

I was referring to the fact that I've always left the "Local Guarantor" space on the application form blank in past applications.

Regardinig my personal (and my girls) application history, here's exactly how it went. (Don't expect that it will work out exactly the same way for you as we've never seen an exact pattern and it also differs depending on nationality)

She was refused another tourist visa in Vientiane (October last year) with 3 double entries from Vientiane, 2 single entries and a double entry from Penang in her passport over a 4 year period. She got a new passport after that (she needed one as it was full) and was successful getting another double entry tourist visa.

I managed a 5th double entry tourist visa from Vientiane (plus one single entry from Penang) however it was "red-stamped".

We're now out of the tourist visa loop as we both have retirement extensions. It was tough work while it lasted but it got me through to 50. I never thought I'd be happy to see 50.

Good luck!

Edited by tropo