Finding That Special Gift For Thai Boys

peter991

I have all but given up trying to get that special gift for Thai guys. Okay - they like something that they can not get in Thailand - such as soft toys (from your country) - but beyond that, I am truly at a loss to say what they like.

Yes - they like surprises - but often it's a case of Nice - but never use!

Yes - they like clothes, jewelery, mobile phones and the like - but I have found the easiest way is to take them shopping and let them buy something they like. I went to JJ Market in Bangkok with one guy - we traipsed around for 3 hours - he bought himself a 120 baht shirt and was really happy.

Any other farangs want to share their experiences ???

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

I've been around too long and am showing my age, but I remember this discussion from awhile back;

The gift that shows you care, drum roll please............

can we get a chorus person (see I'm gender sensitive :) to bring out the gift.......

Comprehensive health insurance. A lot of companies have cut back. 2 of my friends went from comprehensive plans to just basic health care plans where they work.

Here's what you do, you get the application form and you put it in a little gift basked filled with some small high end cosmetics (don't forget the whitening stuff and wrinkle creme) and you roll it up with a little red or yellow ribbon and tadaa...................

I purchased a medical checkup for one of my friends and that went over like a lead balloon. What? Why? You think I'm sick? No, no, it's because, I umm care about you. What???? You crazy, you sure you care about me or are you just worried I won't be there to fix up your messes. Ummm, well, uhh sort of, but, I just figured it's time. What???? What do you mean it's time. I'm 32, not old like you. No No, I mean, it's time you took care of yourself.

Next friend I tried health insurance, and he looked at me strange and said, stop bringing work with you, but gave one of those Thai smiles that they give when they are sort of touched. I do note that he did mumble that I was weird and that it didn't get me off the hook for giving him my GTA game once I was finished and that if I didn't need the spare controller for the PS2 now that I was on PS3, he wanted that as well, but hey, that's him as we're both addicted to GTA.

Yes, money is wonderful, but with health insurance you don't worry. You get peace of mind for a year.

Edited by geriatrickid

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, money is wonderful, but with health insurance you don't worry. You get peace of mind for a year.

My friend actually asked for medical insurance, although I’ve tried to explain to him that an insurance company isn’t likely to pay for any pre-existing conditions, i.e. a knee injury from several “accidents” while playing football. The word “accident” also becomes an issue when its meaning in insurance parlance versus Thai-speak arises.

Anyway he seems to think that some gobbled-gook from AIA will offer the best protection in pretty much the same way that a winning lottery ticket would. The MRI that the doctor wants to do will run about B10,000 and the cost for laser surgery wasn’t even broached. He assures me, ha, ha, if we pay a few thousand baht for the AIA premium then all these costs will be covered. Once again my discussion of pre-existing conditions, winning the lottery and the rumour that insurance companies are in business to make money not give it away falls on sullen ears. Things are, I am assured, different in Thailand and I simply do not understand.

Anyway, any suggestions on the best medical insurance for Thai citizens? The thing from AIA is a mishmash that involves a Life Policy ... large sums paid out in the event of murder, not to mention double indemnity from “death in a non-aerial public conveyance or elevator” and the “risk of being assaulted.” I assume one must die from experiencing the risk before collecting. And, for the “loss of eye, leg or arm for two or more members,” the jackpot is B 1,200,000.

The actual payments for medical services are a little sketchy, but I think the B10,000 MRI, assuming they allowed it at all, would garner a maximum of B 3,000.

The premium schedule is incomprehensible and includes:

“Total Monthly Premium B5780

Total Annual Premium B19,800.”

Is there a decent medical insurance that pays something for out-patient services and/or hospitalization and that wouldn’t leave a balance due that would still be beyond most Thai’s resources?

Edited by Suradit

• 1 month later...

I gave my teerak bupa international cover. Cost around 1200 us a year I recall. Silly prat picked up HIV (not covered) but they did cough for in patient care at uk private hospital for MRSA infection with consultant etc that Thai docs couldn't lick.

Had a quiet word with hospital to make sure it wasn't HIV related to keep the claims process simple.

I'm sure my reward will be in heaven. He was the most ungrateful sob I had ever come acrossup untill that tine- that is untill I moved to LOS full time.