Farang Explosion

WinnieTheKhwai

(Apologies in advance for the topic title; brought you in though didn't it. wink.gif

In recent years there has been an incredible increase in the number of foreigners living in Thailand. I think however I'm looking at a future where there will be far fewer foreigners around and here's why:

- Inevitably, Thailand develops and the economy grows, making things more expensive. Think Singapore and Hong Kong. While typical expat groups such as multinational company staff and government/embassy workers will still be in Thailand, the increased expense makes it far less likely for people to retire.

- Related to the above, increased wealth among Thai people means that a big incentive in finding a foreign husband/partner is removed. So fewer foreigners building a family in Thailand, except for those 'true love' cases. This is good; less stigma.

- The large number of current foreign residents/husbands will inevitably not be around in 20 years or so.. Looking at the average age, they'll naturally (and literally) die off.

I'm relatively young myself, and in a genuine, equal relationship so chances are in 20 years I will be looking at a radically different expat landscape, with the current Thai-expat demographic having to opt for places like Cambodia, Burma, Laos or Africa.

What do you think? Will the Thai 'expat' scene go back to the size and make-up of what it was 20 years ago?

Why would I want to go to those countries that you mentioned??? What would make them desirable?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 years is a long time, anything could happen.

The way things are now I would not retire to Thailand. Nothing to do with the protests, its

just as westerner is Thailand you are not accepted, wanted or appreciated. Why live in a country

where you little rights and will always be an outsider to the indigenous population.

Still I have seen many dudes retired in Thailand and they are happy and living fun lifes.

So if you wanted to retire in SEA where would you want to do it?

What's so great about being a "developed country" anyway?

Try selling hotdogs out in front of a McDonalds in the USA and see what happens to you.

Step 1) Manager comes out and threatens to call the police

Step 2) Hotdog vendor gives up and ends up living underneath a highway overpass somewhere

Step 3) Two pedestrians walk by pointing at the homeless man under the bridge and remarking that if he wasn't so lazy and had taken a job at McDonalds back when he had the chance, he'd have a place to live.

Corporations rule the west and they won't be satisfied until everyone there is either wearing a Walmart uniform or asking if you want fries to go with that happy meal.

Very true. And don't forget about the MIC (Military Industrial Complex ) that Pres. Eisenhower warned us about.

QUOTE (ExpatJ @ 2010-06-03 19:56:04) Heck- 20 years ago singapore's expat scene was similar (though smaller of course) to thailand today

I used to visit often and it was not much different from now. rolleyes.gif

Singapore was nothing like thailand 20 years ago. The best that could be said about it was that 20 years ago it was slightly less boring than it is now.

• 1 month later...

I think the Kwai is worried about having to fend off younger challengers to his crown as "Mr. Big Show" up there in the great NE? :)

There are less farangs living here compared to 5 years ago. You can sleep easier tonight and tomorrow knowing this.

Same here in Chiang Rai. Where did they get the number?