Nature

soohk

Tried to find out the ID, no luck

attachicon.gifP1050108a_cr.jpg

attachicon.gifP1050122_cr.jpg

Panasonic LF1 iso 200

Buprestid or Jewel Beetle - I don't know the specific species. Thailand is super rich in this group with species numbering in the hundreds, with most likely many unnamed. They are hunted for their use in the jewellery trade. Nice shot - colour at its most intense.

Its only 5mm in size, I suppose I should have included a shot of the original size,( Next time)

This a late instar of a crusader Bug (Beetle). They are common throughout Australia and SE Asia. They are a true "bug" with a tube to suck sap from plants. In Australia they help keep Mimosa down. here is a link to what I am pretty sure is the full adult version of the one you took. I too this pic in Chiang Mai. There is also a nice shot of a White Lipped Viper. My Thai friend spotted it in the branches about six inches from my head and I had not seen it.

http://stevekeeling.smugmug.com/Category/Thailand-mamals/Reptiles-and-arachnidae-beetle/i-vkVw84M

Not a macro shot as I took it with my LG G2 mobile phone camera. The guy wouldn't stay still and running all over the place so I looked rather silly hunched over trying to get my phone as close to him as possible and chasing him around. Still had to do a 100% crop of him as he was skittish. smile.png Quite a few of them around running on the concrete but don't know what it is. Think some kind of tree insect with a big nose and eyes painted on his back. biggrin.png

17313458635_5ec1e1b6f5_b.jpg

//edit - just saw this is the first time I posted in this topic.

• Like 1

I am going to have to teach my camera some composition / background theory !

P5030020.jpg

Could you remind me what camera & lens used plus EXIF data. Useful when one wants to emulate the type of shot. Very nice indeed.

• Like 2

Sure , was shot at f5 with exposure @ 1/400 iso 200 13.4mb raw file

Olympus EM10 with ED60 2.8 macro lens on macro setting around 500mm distance with focus peaking manual

Edited in PS Elements , I guess the same as LR + 21 points increase sharpen +12 points increase NR

Contrast +6 Saturation - 2 no filters , no layers . Brought into Picasa and cropped to eliminate ( most ) out of focus foreground elements.

• Like 1

Sure , was shot at f5 with exposure @ 1/400 iso 200 13.4mb raw file

Olympus EM10 with ED60 2.8 macro lens on macro setting around 500mm distance with focus peaking manual

Thanks. I have the EM-1 and was considering the ED60 but am now leaning to get the 40-150mm (80-300mm 35mm equiv) f/2.8 Pro lens and extension tubes to do macro. Of course light loss is a concern but looking at getting the off camera Olympus flash.

Hitchcock might have birds, but I have a gang of frogs doing a private show. Three frogs and 10 geckoes taking care of the flying insects.

This is the leader of the frog gang. First it jumped up 4 layers of 2nd floor balcony railings.

16746522193_59e4a55502_c.jpg

Frog gang leader ready to jump to the tree by pekkaoilinki, on Flickr

And then jumped to the tree next to my home. Others followed.

17366800865_b981acd17a_c.jpg

Good viewpoint by pekkaoilinki, on Flickr

Outstanding shot of a very interesting animal. I have no idea what it will hatch into. It is so well camouflaged that it would appear to be plant specific. So most likely would have evolved with the plant and may well be symbiotic with the adult playing a part in pollination. But this is conjecture. Be interesting to test the hypotheses. Thanks for the pic!

• Like 2

Outstanding shot of a very interesting animal. I have no idea what it will hatch into. It is so well camouflaged that it would appear to be plant specific. So most likely would have evolved with the plant and may well be symbiotic with the adult playing a part in pollination. But this is conjecture. Be interesting to test the hypotheses. Thanks for the pic!

Just found the name of the plant it is feeding on its an areca triandra palm, finding the caterillars name is another thing.

• Like 1