Wifi And 3g Phone = Should I Bother?

bangkokburning

I'm jones'n for a new phone. Wifi would be very cool - but is it worth the expense? Free connection points in BKK? Seemingly scarce.

3G seems like a dream and I am sure that will not be free. he last thing I need on my phone is a fast connection, but it would be worh paying for if it's out there as a freebie. When its out there...

comments pls

Hi,

There are plenty of wifi hotspots in the main tourist areas; coffee shops and restuarants etc. If you have a 3G phone, it will seamlessly jump from wifi to 3G if there is no free hotspot near you. All of the 3 big operators have tiered packages so you can choose from the more expensive unlimited plans to various amounts of MB transfers.

The 699 Baht unlimited package from TrueMove is cheaper than my old AIS package for phone-calls only a few years back, so it's really up to you and how much you are prepared to spend.

For connectivity in Asia the business traveller is normally faced with the choice of using the hotel's wifi system or buying a local 3G SIM card. Speeds are similar ... 500 - 1000 kbps (YMMV), and both can drop out, though usually not together. Given the cheap cost of mobile broadband nowadays, one might consider economising on the hotel rate and going with a slower (or no) wifi setup.

Not sure you are a traveller or not?!

If you live here True 599 (not 699) unlimited 3G is great. 3G works in many places, and is plenty fast, and it will drop to EDGE where 3G doesn't work

If you are a traveller, prepaid SIMs from AIS or DTAC are the way to go, only EDGE access, but very cheap, 100 baht for 20 hours (unlimited data).

iPhone 4 was just released so wait until that is available. iPhone 4 is a huge improvement over the 3GS, and the 3GS will get cheaper.

Edit: As for WiFi - it's a bit of a pain but if you're a traveller and seeking them out, you can easily find WiFi hotspots. I just find 3G so much more convenient, no hassle with passwords, logins, etc. Free and unprotected WiFi hotspots are very rare these days.

Edited by nikster

Not sure you are a traveller or not?!

If you live here True 599 (not 699) unlimited 3G is great. 3G works in many places, and is plenty fast, and it will drop to EDGE where 3G doesn't work

If you are a traveller, prepaid SIMs from AIS or DTAC are the way to go, only EDGE access, but very cheap, 100 baht for 20 hours (unlimited data).

iPhone 4 was just released so wait until that is available. iPhone 4 is a huge improvement over the 3GS, and the 3GS will get cheaper.

Edit: As for WiFi - it's a bit of a pain but if you're a traveller and seeking them out, you can easily find WiFi hotspots. I just find 3G so much more convenient, no hassle with passwords, logins, etc. Free and unprotected WiFi hotspots are very rare these days.

First arrival in LoS 1-2-1979 ... still a regular visitor.

You imply there is no PAYG 3G service -- is that strictly the case? Or is 3G contract-only? In Indonesia you can buy time-based or volume-based PAYG 3G ... a boon as hotel Wi-Fi is expensive. Will my Huawei E220 dongle achieve optimal 3G speeds in Thailand? Thanks.