Tourist Visa > Job Offer > Work Permit

Hello,

Lots of information on the forum that hepls and obfuscates so, if you know, please tell me if I have this right.

1. I am currently on a tourist visa

2. Have been offered a job

3. Company tells me I must go overseas and apply for a "non immigrant B"

4. Come back and get work permit

Are these the basics? When I go overseas I must carry a letter from my new office telling that they intend to offer me a job and requesting a non imm B? and from recent experience please advise where the best place to go for this is.

Thanks.

No. You first have to apply for a work permit. If approved, labour will give you a WP3 form. With this form and company letter you apply for a non-B visa in a neighbouring country. When you have the non-B, you return to Thailand and go to the labour office and will get your WP.

Without the WP3 form, you will not get a non-B visa in the region.

If your paperwork is straight, Singapore works as well..

You will be provided with more than a letter, in my experience you get paperwork about an inch thick to take to the Thai embassy

would agree with this, i have never had a problem at Singapore...

but they seem to favour British Passport holders there ( i am one ) as there was a candian who had the same docs as me but was refused !

No. You first have to apply for a work permit. If approved, labour will give you a WP3 form. With this form and company letter you apply for a non-B visa in a neighbouring country. When you have the non-B, you return to Thailand and go to the labour office and will get your WP.

Without the WP3 form, you will not get a non-B visa in the region.

Is this a recent change?

I went through this process a few years ago and about to restart it and back then you were unable to apply for a work permit until you had a non-imm visa.

The process I have been through is as follows:-

1) Take a set of company papers, plus an employment letter signed by a company director to an embassy/consulate outside the country. Receive a single entry non-B

2) Take a whole heap of paperwork to the labour office and apply for a work permit. Wait a few weeks and hope everything is in order.

3) When the visa expires take your work permit to an embassy/consulate and apply for a multiple entry non-B

4) Return to labour office each re-entry to update your work permit.

You must have a work permit receipt (W3) to obtain a non immigrant B visa in the local area for company work. You do not need any special visa to apply for a work permit - you only need the non immigrant visa for the actual work permit to be issued.

You no longer have to update work permit for travel/return (new visa entry) as they are normally issued for one year now.

You will need the actual work permit if you want a multi entry non immigrant B visa.

This year we hired a new teacher from within Thailand. He had a Tourist Visa. On the 45th day of his 60 day permission of stay in the Kingdom, we've sent him to Immigration Office in Bangkok with all the necessary paperwork. i.e. employment contract, school papers and the permission letter of the Thai Ministry of Education.

Our new teacher was given a 90 days extension of the permission of stay. His stamp states the name of our school and the extension status, which is non-B. The costs were 2,000 THB.

In this thread the company advised the person to obtain a visa entry from outside Thailand which likely means he would not qualify for conversion/extension of stay with the paperwork they can provide. If they do not supply more than a letter he will not even get a visa from any local Consulate.

Our new teacher was given a 90 days extension of the permission of stay. His stamp states the name of our school and the extension status, which is non-B. The costs were 2,000 THB.

Was under the impression a Non-imm visa cannot be issued inside the country.. :)

Your new teacher may have had his permission to stay changed from a tourist to staying based on employment, but dont think immigration in Thailand put a Non-imm B visa in his/her passport in country...

I will of course stand to be corrected

If your paperwork is straight, Singapore works as well..

You will be provided with more than a letter, in my experience you get paperwork about an inch thick to take to the Thai embassy

Same for me, I went to Singapore with a big stack of paperwork from my employer, single entry Non B granted.

The steps that you have outlined in your message are correct. You will need to take certain company documentation (including company affidavit, shareholders list, tax registration certificate etc.) to a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside of the Kingdom in order to apply for the Non-Immigrant B (business) visa. You will also require a sponsor letter from the company requesting the visa due to your impending employment. All the company documents and the sponsor letter must be stamped with the company seal and signed in blue ink by the company Director. If you go to a bordering country to make the application, such as Cambodia or Laos, then you will receive a 90 day Non-Immigrant B visa. The fee payable at the Embassy for this visa is 2,000 Baht. Upon your return to Thailand you will then be able to apply the work permit immediately. It is important to note that this 90 day Non-Immigrant B visa is a single entry, meaning that if you leave the country in this 90 day period, the visa will expire. However, if you wish to leave the country you can go to immigration in Thailand to get a re-entry permit for 1,000 Baht, which will allow you to exit and re-enter once on this visa. If you wish to exit and re-enter on numerous occasions then you can obtain a multiple entry stamp from immigration in Thailand for 3,800 Baht. Locations where you can go to apply for the Non-Immigrant B visa include the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, Laos or Phnom Penh, Cambodia, where the processing time is one working day.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]