Liberal American Consulate

If you mean without marriage/retirement or such reason don't believe you will find in the US. Only Hull and Perth seem to be reliable options for the friend issue and Perth now requires paperwork for that.

I want to get a simple non-immigrant O on the basis of visiting friends and learning the Thai language. I am under 52, not working, have a pension, etc. and this seems to be the only way I can get a visa at this point.

I will email Boston and NYC and see what they say, thanks!

To expand on above, you can arrive in Thailand on a 30 day stamp or tourist visa and convert it to an O visa in Thailand (with at least 21 days left on the stamp or visa) if you are also eligible to apply for an annual extension of stay based on retirement in Thailand.

Some consulates may also give a single entry O visa (so you can skip the change of visa status part) if you make it clear you are over 50 and "considering" retirement in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

I know many people that have been happy with the Houston Honorary Consulate. You do not have to go there. You can FedEx your paperwork, passport and money. 2 day turnaround.