Microsoft Internet Exporer

Gladiator

I am having a minor but irritating problem with Explorer. It may be that there is a quick-fix solution, that my limited knowledge prevents me from finding.

When I first open Explorer on my desk top - it always opens twice. On previous rare occasions - it has opened multiple times, to the extent that I have had to shut-down and re-start. Before shut-down I checked to see that no key of the keyboard had jammed down. All keys functioning normally.

Another aspect of the problem is that it prevents me from obtaining updates for Clarity Utilities and Advanced System Care. Both programs advise me that there are updates available - but when I click the OK to download - I just get another opening of MI Explorer.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Yes! totally agree.

Firefox is free and quicker than Explorer.

Go to www.filehippo.com

and also get ccleaner

this will clear all your cookies etc

also get WINPATROL also free

this will show you what programs are starting with your computer. What hidden browser items etc

also here are many FREE anti-virus. anti spyware programs

a little computer housekeeping will make your computer work better and faster

without a doubt, i'm gonna go with 'trojan horse'. sure, you could have a more simple issue, but when you mention you can't get your updates (from those programs, which i'm unfamiliar with), sounds like you've been hijacked.

back up all your data and re-install windows from scratch.

without a doubt, i'm gonna go with 'trojan horse'. sure, you could have a more simple issue, but when you mention you can't get your updates (from those programs, which i'm unfamiliar with), sounds like you've been hijacked.

FIRST

do a FREE online virus scan

and that will fix trojan]s if you have any

just type in Google

online virus scanner

I'd forget about IE and use Firefox. You can import your stuff from IE if you like. Firefox is open source. The same is true for Open Office which does everything the MS stuff does but free. MS is becoming old hat and a big security risk.

FIRST

do a FREE online virus scan

and that will fix trojan]s if you have any

just type in Google

online virus scanner

Be very cautious about those 'free' online virus scans. Use a reputable site as there are many out there that are doing nothing but installing trojans when you think it is scanning for them.

Which antivirus software do you have installed? Is it up2date, did you run a full computer scan?

What happens if you google for 'free antivirus'?

Click on the first result, it should bring you to http://free.avg.com/ If any other website shows up your browser has probably been hijacked by a trojan. (I don't recommend AVG though!)

Go with Malwarebytes as has already been suggested. If it finds any infections, copy/paste the log file here.

Also download Hitman Pro from here: http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3/3000....html?tag=mncol

It is fast and not popular enough yet to be blocked and sabotaged by trojans that are already on your system.

welo

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to replay.

Rather like fixing a car I am trying the simpler remedial options first - if no luck will consider something more drastic.

Yes, I am very diligent in running various programmes to check for virus; disk cleaner, Anti Spy-ware etc.

No virus present but usually have to repair with disc cleaner spy-ware etc.

I have Avast virus checker; use the disc and register cleaner daily (if not more so) from Glarity Utilities and Advanced System Care, have downloaded the Google pack and run the checker.

So far the multi-page MIE has ceased but still unable to download updates from the above programmes. JUtst a response of a blank MIE page.

I have backed-up all data, recently and wiped the HD and re-installed Windows and then after checking all data - re-loaded

Google for anti-virus shows AVG as the second result.

Thanks once again - I will keep trying all suggestions.

Gladiator

Which antivirus software do you have installed? Is it up2date, did you run a full computer scan?

What happens if you google for 'free antivirus'?

Click on the first result, it should bring you to http://free.avg.com/ If any other website shows up your browser has probably been hijacked by a trojan. (I don't recommend AVG though!)

Go with Malwarebytes as has already been suggested. If it finds any infections, copy/paste the log file here.

Also download Hitman Pro from here: http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3/3000....html?tag=mncol

It is fast and not popular enough yet to be blocked and sabotaged by trojans that are already on your system.

welo

www.filehippo.com

get malware anti malware and say AVG

both are free

Also WinPatrol which shows active programs and warns of programs trying to load in background (e.g. viruses)

do a full online scan and this will find and repair any viruses

Many virus prigrams now write in windows regristry and disable anti virus programs so it is important to do an online scan first to check if you are infected

finally CCleaner which cleans cookies, temporary files (where viruses lurk) etc

I suspect you probably have a java/Adobe or other third party issue that is not allowing the download popup rather than your download being blocked. I have such problems on some sites and another browser has no problem opening it.

If your only problem is updating two programs try Google or Firefox and see if you can get the downloads with them. You could also send and email to the company and explain your problem and they may be able to help you (as they would know what is required).

Firefox. Google for "download firefox". IE is just bad.

I have a Windows XP virtual machine that has the same issue for IE, it likes to open multiple windows. I am sure I don't have malware on this because I never use it - the only thing this clean Windows install ever connects to is internal company pages (which are cleverly devised to only work with IE, but that's another story...)...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to replay.

Rather like fixing a car I am trying the simpler remedial options first - if no luck will consider something more drastic.

Yes, I am very diligent in running various programmes to check for virus; disk cleaner, Anti Spy-ware etc.

No virus present but usually have to repair with disc cleaner spy-ware etc.

I have Avast virus checker; use the disc and register cleaner daily (if not more so) from Glarity Utilities and Advanced System Care, have downloaded the Google pack and run the checker.

So far the multi-page MIE has ceased but still unable to download updates from the above programmes. JUtst a response of a blank MIE page.

I have backed-up all data, recently and wiped the HD and re-installed Windows and then after checking all data - re-loaded

Google for anti-virus shows AVG as the second result.

Thanks once again - I will keep trying all suggestions.

Gladiator

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who replied and for your kind advice.

Eventually I downloaded Firefox and now have no problem with multiple windows opening and can download the updates to both Advanced Sysem Care and Glary Utilities. So problem sorted.

Cheers.

Gladiator

Firefox. Google for "download firefox". IE is just bad.

I have a Windows XP virtual machine that has the same issue for IE, it likes to open multiple windows. I am sure I don't have malware on this because I never use it - the only thing this clean Windows install ever connects to is internal company pages (which are cleverly devised to 'only' work with IE, but that's another story...)...

Sounds like IE needs tabbed browsing enabled. Tools->Internet Options->General->Tabs->Settings

Agreed. Firefox is a much better browser, but you need IE for some sites. I use Firefox 99% of the time. However, it's more complicated for the novice user.

I know many will disagree with me.