English Crumpets

Hi Ratcatcher,

I don't know if all Villa supermarkets carry the same goods but the Villa in Pattaya definately sell crumpets.

They have 2 types, the regular round ones and square ones (which I had never seen before).

They are labelled as crumpets and not pikelets.

The crumpets that I saw were in the freezers, so check out the frozen food section.

I cannot advise on the quality of these as I had visiting family, so I had just had some bought over from England.

Please let me know if you have any luck and if they taste any good (if you find them).

Regards,

Tiger.

I can understand your dilemma, I like a bit of crumpet myself now and again.

Villa Market - Sukhumvit and Thonglor normally have them. Perhaps you have to get there early. Bit like the Oz Four & Twenty Pies in the Friendship Supermarket in Pattaya. They get snapped up as soon as they hit the shelves.

Villa at Sukhumvit 33 in Bangkok def has them, I saw them last night. We've had them before but warning, they are not nearly as good once they have been frozen, they lose their fluffiness and the butter doesn't soak us as nicely. I once heard they are pretty easy to make from scratch, but I've never tried.

Crumpets

From The Bread Book by Linda Collister & Anthony Blake

Ingredients:

(makes about 18)

2 cups (230g) unbleached white bread flour

1 2/3 cups (230g) unbleached all purpose flour

¾ teaspoon cream of tartar

1 0.6oz cake fresh yeast (15g) or 1 envelope active dry yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons) plus ½ teaspoon sugar

2 ¼ cups (510ml) lukewarm water

3 ½ teaspoons (10g) coarse sea salt, crushed or ground (gk: use about half this if you're not grinding your own coarse sea salt -- or, y'know, if you're measuring by weight, not volume, you're fine.)

½ teaspoon baking soda

2/3 cup (140ml) lukewarm milk

a griddle or cast-iron frying pan

4 crumpet rings, about 3 ½ inches diameter, greased.

Instructions:

o Sift together the flours and cream of tartar into a large bowl. Crumble the fresh yeast into a medium-sized bowl. Mix in the lukewarm water until smooth. If using dry yeast, mix the granules and the sugar with ¾ cup lukewarm water and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining lukewarm water.

o Mix the yeast mixture into the flour to make a very thick, but smooth batter, beating vigorously with your hand or a wooden spoon for two minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm spot until the batter rises and then falls, about 1 hour.

o Add the salt and beat the batter for about 1 minute. Then cover the bowl and let stand in a warm spot for 15 to 20 minutes, so the batter can “rest”.

o Dissolve the baking soda in the lukewarm milk. Then gently stir it into t he batter. The batter should not be too stiff or your crumpets will be “blind” -- without holes – so it is best to test one before cooking the whole batch.

o Heat an ungreased (gk: oiled!), very clean griddle or frying pan over moderately low heat for about 3 minutes until very hot. Put a well-greased crumpet ring on the griddle. Spoon or pour 1/3 cup of the batter into the ring. The amount of batter will depend on the size of your crumpet ring.

o As soon as the batter is poured into the ring, it should begin to form holes. If holes do not form, add a little more lukewarm water, a tablespoon at a time, to the batter in the bowl and try again. If the batter is too thin and runs out under the ring, gently work in a little more all-purpose flour and try again. Once the batter is the proper consistency, continue with the remaining batter, cooking the crumpets in batches, three or four at a time. As soon as the top surface is set and covered with holes, 7 to 8 minutes, the crumpet is ready to flip over.

o To flip the crumpet, remove the ring with a towel or tongs, then turn the crumpet carefully with a spatula. The top, cooked side should be chestnut brown. Cook the second, holey side of the crumpet for 2 to 3 minutes, or until pale golden. The crumpet should be about ¾ inch thick. Remove the crumpet from the griddle. Grease the crumpet rings well after each use.

• 2 weeks later...

<u><b>Crumpets</b></u>

From <i><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1585744476/qid=1135833337/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-1973663-5809446?n=507846&s=books&v=glance" target="_blank">The Bread Book</a></i> by Linda Collister & Anthony Blake

This is pretty much the way I used to make them, and they're just as good as any shop bought ones.

• 1 month later...