Pattaya Atm Charges For Foreign Cards - Update

hm1973

I just wanted to inform those who use foreign visa/debit cards to withdraw money here in Pattaya that the Bank of Ayutthaya (Yellow) ATM machines are now charging the 150 Baht service charge again. It seems that the only ones not charging now are the AEON ATM's which can be found at Tesco-Lotus in Jomtien and North Pattaya, Carrefour in Central Pattaya and at Homeworks next to Big C in South Pattaya.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bangkok bank is one of my favorite banking facilities....

last week, one of the officers SHAMELESSLY instructed a FARANG customer that....

you can not withdraw 30k with one withdrawal now....

you need to do it twice....

which ultimately it means..... doubling bkk bank profit another 100%.... from 150 to 300 thb.... SHAME SHAME SHAME.... :D:)

Edited by nakachalet

I also have never been charged at the Ayutthaya Bank ATM.

I always withdraw using my Barclays Connect Card.

Never any probs, never any charge.

Thanks for the information. I am also with Barclays, so will give it a try today. I thought that they were all charging!

Cheers, Rick

Yesterday I tried to withdraw some cash from Ayuthaya ATM's on South Pattaya road

they now say there is a 150 baht charge :)

...there was also a small printed notice stuck to all the machines saying sorry for the inconvenience while they where updating the system. :D

The AEON in Carrefour was working and fee free :D

What is the big deal with this? If you want to withdraw funds from an overseas account via a local ATM, why whine about the 3 quid convenience charge? If you are pulling ALL your spending money from overseas out of local ATM's two or three times a week, then that is just being silly and you shouldn't be allowed out with more than a five hundred baht in your pocket as you really haven't worked out the basics of financial management yet.

I would assume that most people with any sort of 'residency' here in Thailand would have a local bank account by now. So do a quarterly or bi-annual transfer from your overseas account and use a local ATM card without penalty daily if need be.

"AEON ATM's which can be found at Tesco-Lotus in Jomtien"

Can you say where you found the AEON ATM at Tesco-South in Jomtien?

The ATM that was on the 2nd floor across from the food-court was replaced many months ago by a promo-booth. If AEON is available again at Tesco that would be very useful information.

bangkok bank is one of my favorite banking facilities....

last week, one of the officers SHAMELESSLY instructed a FARANG customer that....

which ultimately it means..... doubling bkk bank profit another 100%.... from 150 to 300 thb.... SHAME SHAME SHAME.... :D:)

I think the reason for this is that the machine can only dispense a maximum of 30 bills (of any single denomination or combination of denominations) at a time (due to the mechanicals of the machine itself) Therefore, the maximum amount either a farang or a Thai could withdraw in a single transaction is 30k baht.

If one is so hard-up that B 150-300 in service charges on a B 30-60k withdrawal is a hardship, maybe that someone needs to beef-up his finances. Or, to avoid the second charge, withdraw the total amount in a single transaction from a teller window.

Edited by FarangBuddha

"to avoid the second charge, withdraw the total amount from a teller window"

There was a very lengthy thread that ran for months on ATM and Teller withdrawal issues, fees, etc.

One thing that was learned from many reports is that it can be MUCH more expensive at certain banks to withdraw via Teller because the ATMs give the current International Exchange Rate ( IER ), where Teller withdrawals use a different exchange rate which far exceeded the 150 Baht ATM fee.

This practice varied with the bank and type of card used.

The best source of current IER is x-rates.com, but they only post rates once every 24 hours, where the actual IER varies from minute to minute.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/THB/USD/data120.html

I think that 99% of people realise that regular ATM withdrawals from a home bank is like setting fire to money. The exchange rate is 3% in most cases and now the 150 Baht fee.

Simply open a Thai Bank Account and wire money on a regular basis.

"The exchange rate is 3% in most cases and now the 150 Baht fee."

Not true if using a Debit Card. What you say is true of Credit Cards, but not Debit Cards. My Debit card, as well as most others, receive the premium low IER exchange rate and *NO* additional charges, 3% or otherwise.

In addition, there are several Debit Cards from the U.S., such as E-Trade, Schwab, and a few others who reimburse the 150 Baht fee.

As I said, this subject was discussed at length in an earlier thread and what I've reported is well documented.

Has anybody tried using the xe.com method? They are a FOREX company, if you set=up an account you can ask for a deal they will offer the deal for 3 days - you then decide if you wont to accept. Because xe.com has offices in the UK you transfer money to them at zero cost for most UK bank a/c holders. if you go for the deal after receipt of your money they will deposit Thai Bart into your Thai bank a/c. The web site can give a lot more detail.

Has anybody used this service? Good or bad ? please tell.

Not true if using a Debit Card. What you say is true of Credit Cards, but not Debit Cards. My Debit card, as well as most others, receive the premium low IER exchange rate and *NO* additional charges, 3% or otherwise.

In addition, there are several Debit Cards from the U.S., such as E-Trade, Schwab, and a few others who reimburse the 150 Baht fee.

As I said, this subject was discussed at length in an earlier thread and what I've reported is well documented.

surfrider....

i have both cc and dc from u.s. banks....

whenever they were used to withdraw cash.... the statement always showed the 2% surcharge.... regardless whether it was a debit card or a credit card....

even when either or both cards were tended at thailand hospitals.... each thai bank that advanced the cash to the hospital.... still charged the 2% surcharge....bah.gif

i was so shocked in the beginning.... but now i just muttered some farang expletives.... under my breath....biggrin.gif

i figure.... it is better to keep my ulcer under control.... cool.gif

surfrider....

i have both cc and dc from u.s. banks....

whenever they were used to withdraw cash.... the statement always showed the 2% surcharge.... regardless whether it was a debit card or a credit card....

even when either or both cards were tended at thailand hospitals.... each thai bank that advanced the cash to the hospital.... still charged the 2% surcharge....bah.gif

i was so shocked in the beginning.... but now i just muttered some farang expletives.... under my breath....biggrin.gif

i figure.... it is better to keep my ulcer under control.... cool.gif

I have a Schwab Debit Card and can confirm what Surfrider says.

Whenever used at an ATM I get about the average International Exchange Rate for the day.

The ATM surcharge fee is also reimbursed.

However my BofA Debit Card does not have any of these perks. Additionally they add a non branch fee for ATM withdrawals.

So exchange rates and fees seems to depend on the issuing bank (and probably what account they are linked to) and not just DC vs. CC.

So, do we need another long-winded thread with non viable* information regarding the best foreign bank/credit card/debit card for Thai ATM machines... or is it only Syd and myself that do things the easier way by transferring living expenses into a Thai bank account and use a local bit of plastic??

I doubt that it was deep research of interactive exchange rates that made most people move away from the cashier/teller type inward remittance. The time wasted sitting in a bank lobby was soundly trumped by the convenience of just pulling up to any ATM and sucking money out, just like you were on the High Street back home. Now that charges are being increasingly levied, the OVERWHELMING CONVENIENCE is still there.... you just need to pay for it.

By non-viable I mean that we have several nationalities espousing the merits of their own banks and plastic where in reality, it may be totally impossible for anyone of differing nationality to consider opening an account with these dubious perks.

Think global and get local.

QUOTE (nakachalet @ 2010-06-06 05:52:23) bangkok bank is one of my favorite banking facilities....

which ultimately it means..... doubling bkk bank profit another 100%.... from 150 to 300 thb.... SHAME SHAME SHAME.... bah.gifangry.gif

I think the reason for this is that the machine can only dispense a maximum of 30 bills (of any single denomination or combination of denominations) at a time (due to the mechanicals of the machine itself) Therefore, the maximum amount either a farang or a Thai could withdraw in a single transaction is 30k baht.

If one is so hard-up that B 150-300 in service charges on a B 30-60k withdrawal is a hardship, maybe that someone needs to beef-up his finances. Or, to avoid the second charge, withdraw the total amount in a single transaction from a teller window.

I thought it was only 20, or in some ATMs, 25 notes that can be withdrawn?

In any case if you live here it's best to have a local account and only have to worry about whether or not you can afford the 20 Baht withdrawal fee if you use an ATM that is not from your own bank.

So, do we need another long-winded thread with non viable* information regarding the best foreign bank/credit card/debit card for Thai ATM machines....

You obviously don't so I suggest you take your Superior, I know it all attitude to another thread!

Not everyone is in the same situation as you and one size does not fit all!

In the mean time, as I get a monthly income from a UK bank that I would like to continue withdrawing at my convenience I will read this thread thanks!

Also some viable* information to help any Brits out there Nationwide charge only 0.8% on foreign withdrawals and until yesterday was fee free at Ayudhya ATM's

It continues to be fee free at Aeon, and from past experience over the counter withdrawals from Ayudhya up to 250,000B per transaction where also fee free, and at the same exchange rate as ATM withdrawals!

Also Nationwide is the only UK Bank/Building Society which has no fee for use of their credit card abroad and has excellent on line banking.

Edited by kevkev1888

"whenever they were used to withdraw cash.... the statement always showed the 2% surcharge"

Below are two recent 20,000 Baht transactions done at AEON and TMB ATMs -- As you can see, there was *NO* surcharge and the exchange rate was very close to the premium IER as reported by x-rates.com

06/03/10 ATM Location: CARREFOUR PATTAYA BANGKOK TH -613.87

06/02/10 ATM TMB Location: THANON THAP PHRAYA BR.TH -620.13

06/02/10 ATM ATM FEE REFUND 4.62

It appears that the "high rollers" biggrin.gif who periodically move a ton of cash into Siam, to be withdrawn at a local bank, are not checking their Exchange Rates -- if they did, they might find a surprise that they were not aware of.

If budget constraints meant checking forex rates several times a day and nipping out to certain ATM's at certain times, that would do my head in. Is it only some Brits that are micromanaging their daily beer, skittles and rumpy pumpy finances in this manner because the pound is doing one of it's periodical nose dives? All this yacking up the benefits of Nationwide banking leads me to suspect it is. Should have saved for the inevitable rainy day as it's not news that the quid is hardly the most stable major currency. Never has been or will be either.

When in Rome do as the Italians do.

Get a local bank.

If cost is really THAT much of an issue, try this:-

Go and find 9 friends (it can be more or less, this is not prescriptive) from your home country.

All open accounts with Kasikorn Bank.

Appoint one trusted leader.

Monthly (or whatever period suits you) all transfer your stipend to the bank account of your trusted leader (if UK, use Halifax Bank).

Trusted leader garners the other 9 stipends and (together with his own allowance) transfers the total amount (in the home currency) to his Kasikorn Bank.

He then distributes the individual Baht equivalents (less cost of SWIFT transfer) to the 9 friends, using K Cyber Banking (free of charge to other K Bank accounts).

I can appreciate that some cynics may recognise a potential risk in this methodology.

I volunteer myself as 'trusted leader' if anyone wants to give this a go.

Maybe some of the posters need to read the threads on this forum about unreimbursed losses from Thai bank accounts. There are many. There are no laws or govt organizations to protect you.

When in Rome do as the Italians do.

Get a local bank.

If cost is really THAT much of an issue, try this:-

Go and find 9 friends (it can be more or less, this is not prescriptive) from your home country.

All open accounts with Kasikorn Bank.

Appoint one trusted leader.

Monthly (or whatever period suits you) all transfer your stipend to the bank account of your trusted leader (if UK, use Halifax Bank).

Trusted leader garners the other 9 stipends and (together with his own allowance) transfers the total amount (in the home currency) to his Kasikorn Bank.

He then distributes the individual Baht equivalents (less cost of SWIFT transfer) to the 9 friends, using K Cyber Banking (free of charge to other K Bank accounts).

I can appreciate that some cynics may recognise a potential risk in this methodology.

I volunteer myself as 'trusted leader' if anyone wants to give this a go.

dear cardholder:

....I volunteer myself as 'trusted leader' if anyone wants to give this a go.

....so you wanna be the trusted leader....?

let us count the ways.... cool.gif

Maybe some of the posters need to read the threads on this forum about unreimbursed losses from Thai bank accounts. There are many. There are no laws or govt organizations to protect you.

Not quite sure about your point - are you referring to losses from ATM withdrawals with overseas cards or Thai bank cards ?

So, do we need another long-winded thread with non viable* information regarding the best foreign bank/credit card/debit card for Thai ATM machines... or is it only Syd and myself that do things the easier way by transferring living expenses into a Thai bank account and use a local bit of plastic??

I doubt that it was deep research of interactive exchange rates that made most people move away from the cashier/teller type inward remittance. The time wasted sitting in a bank lobby was soundly trumped by the convenience of just pulling up to any ATM and sucking money out, just like you were on the High Street back home. Now that charges are being increasingly levied, the OVERWHELMING CONVENIENCE is still there.... you just need to pay for it.

By non-viable I mean that we have several nationalities espousing the merits of their own banks and plastic where in reality, it may be totally impossible for anyone of differing nationality to consider opening an account with these dubious perks.

Think global and get local.

Klugscheisse :)

Sorry to say but there are some dimwits that think they have it all covered and if you're not following their way then your definitely doing the wrong thing.

I have had a local bank account here since the late 90s and the best exchange rate I have ever received is through an ATM withdrawal with one of my DC.

And I have been doing quite a few wire transfers as well as ATM withdrawals.

So, if you don't want to get some good advice on how to get the best exchange rate then don't read this thread or at least don't scrutinize the once that want to help out :).