Thai Cabinet Reshuffle To Counter The Red Shirts

webfact

CABINET RESHUFFLE

A setup to counter the reds

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

BANGKOK: -- The ruling Democrat Party has put together a new Cabinet which it expects will help the government counter the red-shirt movement and win support from voters in the next general election by having strong teamwork and a proactive working style.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva forwarded the new Cabinet line-up for royal approval yesterday evening.

The designated ministers are: Chaiwut Bannawat as Industry Minister, Juti Krairiksh as ICT Minister, Chalermchai Sri-on as Labour Minister, Nipit Intarasombat as Culture Minister, Ong-art Klampaiboon as PM's Office Minister, Veerachai Veeramethakul as Science Minister, Mun Patanotai as Deputy Finance Minister and Chaiyos Jiramethakorn as Deputy Education Minister.

Abhisit, as Democrat Party leader, swapped Ong-art with Satit Wongnongtaey because he wanted Ongart to oversee the Public Relations Department and Satit to oversee projects that could help win support from masses such as the Village Fund project and solving shortages of agricultural land that would help bridge the income gap and inequality in society.

The move will be systematically launched, especially in the North and the Northeast, to help counter the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship movement and prepare the government for the next general election that is expected to take place soon amid the dicey political situation.

The government will organise a five-day grand-scale workshop in which people across the country will be invited to file complaints about land at Government House's Santi Maitree Building.

The decision to choose Ong-art as PM's Office Minister has affected other positions that must be changed to suit the qualifications of each minister of the Democrat Party. Political analysts believe the changes would bring about stronger teamwork that would help the government work proactively because Juti and Chaiwut are in the same group as PM's secretary-general Korbsak Sabhavasu. Juti is believed to work proactively to protect the institution of monarchy and complete the 3G project.

After the final decision on the Cabinet changes, Abhisit had a talk over the phone with the nominees about their ministries. Nipit who had earlier been designated for the labour portfolio was talked into accepting the Culture Minister post because Chalermchai declined the Culture Minister portfolio saying he was not suited for the post but was ready to helm any other ministry.

Bhum Jai Thai Party deputy leader Boonjong Wongtrairat said he was satisfied with the Cabinet reshuffle, although his party did not make any change. The deputy interior minister said every one was ready to work together under the new Cabinet line-up.

Meanwhile Deputy Government Spokesman Prommin Leetheeraprasert of the Puea Pandin Party attacked the Democrat Party and the PM for removing the Puea Pandin Party's factions that voted against some ministers in the censure debate. He said some Puea Pandin MPs voted by adhering to the principle of checking corruption and not to take political revenge.

Poll results also show that the majority supported the MPs saying they have the right to use their own judgement. "The fact that the PM is thinking of the government's stability more than upholding his nine iron rules of good governance has created a sick political culture and this is very ugly. How can Abhisit and Chuan Leekpai preach to the others?'' he said.

Puea Pandin Party spokesman Alongkot Maneekat said about 14 MPs supported the move to appoint Chaiyot as Deputy Education Minister though they believe he deserved to sit as a minister. However, the group would support the Abhisit government in voting to pass bills and other works even though they felt slighted that the Puea Pandin faction led by Pracha Promnok, and Matubhum Party, which did not vote in support of the government have the chance to join the Cabinet.

In a related development, Pheu Thai deputy spokesman Jirayu Huangsab said party leaders had been trying to persuade some coalition parties to join the Pheu Thai if the party has the chance to form the next government.

Sources said former premier Somchai Wongsawat tried to persuade the Puea Pandin factions that voted against the Bhum Jai Thai ministers -the Group 16 MPs led by Sompong Amornwiwat, Puea Pandin leader Charnchai Chairungruang, and Pairot Suwanchawee of the Korat Group - to switch camps. They have not yet made the decision.

Meanwhile, the opposition Pheu Thai Party condemned the Democrat Party for refusing to take responsibility for ordering the use of military forces to disperse the red-shirt protesters that led to killings in April and May. Deputy party spokesman Jirayu said the government should be ashamed for not respecting the people's voice and being stubborn in not removing Interior Minister Chavarat Chanweerakul, Transport Minister Sophon Saram and Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Nipit who had earlier been designated for the labour portfolio was talked into accepting the Culture Minister post because Chalermchai declined the Culture Minister portfolio saying he was not suited for the post but was ready to helm any other ministry.

Lucky that Nipit Intarasombat is so multi talented that he can take the Culture Ministry instead of Labour. But why nobody asked Chalermchai Sri-on if he is ready enough to take the Culture ministry before he had declined that offer?

proactive working style.??? 55555. Good luck.

Many peole would have thought that Foreign Minister Kasit would be replaced by PM Abhisit. A lot felt disappointed that this was not done, but then, the headline tells it all - "Thai Cabinet Reshuffle To Counter the Red Shirts". PM Abhisit needs FM Kasit to adde fuel to fire to do this encounter.

Axed Phaithoon asked to form new political party

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Published on June 6, 2010

Outgoing Labour Minister Phaithoon Kaeothong has been approached by veteran politicians to form a new political party following his removal from the Cabinet, a source close to him said yesterday.

Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart and Deputy Finance Minister Pradit Pataraprasit called Phaithoon to offer him moral support following news he would be replaced in the upcoming Cabinet shake-up, according to the source.

Both Sanan, chief adviser to the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party, and Pradit, now a key figure in the coalition Ruam Chart Pattana Party, were previously with the Democrat Party.

Phaithoon is a member of the ruling Democrat Party's advisory council, which is headed by former party leader Chuan Leekpai. Phaithoon has been a multi-time Democrat MP and is considered a leading party campaigner in the North.

The source said that Sanan persuaded Phaithoon to co-found a new political party consisting of politicians from northern provinces to contest the next general election. However, Phaithoon has yet to give an answer.

His son, Democrat MP for Phichit, Narapat Kaeothong, said Phaithoon had not made up his mind whether to stay with the Democrat Party in the next election. "It's a matter for the future."

The young MP said his father was "puzzled" on learning he was to be removed from the Cabinet. He said Phaithoon would not have been so disappointed if he had been notified in advance.

Narapat confirmed yesterday that Sanan and Pradit had called his father, but he declined to discuss any details.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation June 6, 2010

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/...y-30130948.html

Democrats believe cabinet reshuffle will not cause a rift within Party

BANGKOK, 5 June 2010 (NNT) – The ruling Democrat Party is confident that the cabinet reshuffle will not cause a rift within the party but cannot confirm the government will complete its term in office.

The Government Chief Whip and Deputy Chief of Democrat Party Wittaya Kaewparadai cited the cabinet reshuffle that the government had to make a reshuffle by pulling MPs of Matubhum Party to replace some of Puea Pandin Party in order to maintain the government’s stability. He said the Whip could not control MPs’ voices in such voting within the recent assembly and this cabinet reshuffle would bring harmony within the government.

Meanwhile, Mr Wittaya viewed that reposition of four ministries of Democrat Party would not be a cause of conflict within the Party. He however can not confirm this cabinet reshuffle will help the government to maintain its operation term which will expire after one year and some months.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 5 June 2010

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255306050026

Many peole would have thought that Foreign Minister Kasit would be replaced by PM Abhisit. A lot felt disappointed that this was not done, but then, the headline tells it all - "Thai Cabinet Reshuffle To Counter the Red Shirts". PM Abhisit needs FM Kasit to adde fuel to fire to do this encounter.

A great opportunity to get rid of a painful embarrassment missed. Ambassador to Montenegro would have been suitable. :)

Nothing like constantly changing ministry/department leadership (like annually or less than annually) to keep government policy in turmoil, projects slowed down, an apprehensive and reluctant govt workforce, etc. And don't forget the annual shakeup in military and police generals amplifies the instability. This has been a continuing problem with the Thai govt, regardless of who/what party has been in power. I know many may say this constant shakeup keeps any one person from getting to warm and cozy in their position and probably helps reduce corruption; but I'm of the opinion the instability created is more of a negative. Leadership swapouts annually is just too often for a stable government.

HEY!!!!! Have patience, give Abhisit a chance............. I think that he may have a plan. LOOK at how he handled the 'Red-Shirts' ---- He gave them enough rope and they hung themselves................ And re-shuffling the Cabinet may be just a matter of getting all his ducks lined-up...... I think he has done well so far, against incredible odds............ in a few years when we look back and can see clearly the results of all this, I have a lot of faith in this govt. allowing the rest of the reds and Taksin enough rope to hang themselves.......

EDITED for spelling.............

Edited by sawadeeken

HEY!!!!! Have patience, give Oboist a chance............. I think that he may have a plan. LOOK at how he handled the 'Red-Shirts' ---- He gave them enough rope and they hung themselves................ And re-shuffling the Cabinet may be just a matter of getting all his ducks lined-up...... I think he has done well so far, against incredible odds............ in a few years when we look back and can see clearly the results of all this, I have a lot of faith in this govt. allowing the rest of the reds and Tasking enough rope to hang themselves.......

But all the rope being using for the hanging sure is causing a lot of collateral damage to the Thai people, economy, etc.

HEY!!!!! Have patience, give Oboist a chance............. I think that he may have a plan. LOOK at how he handled the 'Red-Shirts' ---- He gave them enough rope and they hung themselves................ And re-shuffling the Cabinet may be just a matter of getting all his ducks lined-up...... I think he has done well so far, against incredible odds............ in a few years when we look back and can see clearly the results of all this, I have a lot of faith in this govt. allowing the rest of the reds and Tasking enough rope to hang themselves.......

But all the rope being using for the hanging sure is causing a lot of collateral damage to the Thai people, economy, etc.

He had to play his cards carefully. If you think we have a lot of complainers on here now, imagine if he'd been more forceful and taken out the trash from get go. We already had enough critics of rights this, and rights that, and protestor special priveleges this and that.

I am happy the aftermath wasn't worse, looking back. I think most of us sensed after the years of tension, it was all reaching an explosive peak.

I wonder what will become of future protests...and just what the fine lines and boundaries will be. Gotta be some legislation against bedding down in the central shopping district next time, for any future (and hopefully civilized, peaceful) protests.

Hope the shirt concept ends in the near future, I don't know what to wear anymore! :)

Edited by gemini81

It will be interesting between now and the elections to see how things pan out.

Maybe the red shirts have shot themselves in the foot with the acts of violence.

Or maybe its the governement that shot himself with their bloody repression , censorship of the medias , detention without charges , double standards , and SOE .

Only future will tell ...

Or maybe its the governement that shot himself with their bloody repression , censorship of the medias , detention without charges , double standards , and SOE .

Only future will tell ...

The above comment was made I presume in retrospect and concerned the Thaksin administrations led by either Thaksin or later his puppets ?

HEY!!!!! Have patience, give Abhisit a chance............. I think that he may have a plan. LOOK at how he handled the 'Red-Shirts' ---- He gave them enough rope and they hung themselves................ And re-shuffling the Cabinet may be just a matter of getting all his ducks lined-up...... I think he has done well so far, against incredible odds............ in a few years when we look back and can see clearly the results of all this, I have a lot of faith in this govt. allowing the rest of the reds and Taksin enough rope to hang themselves.......

Ditto ... ABSOLUTELY!!!