Filipino Arrested After 'drug Run'

george

Filipino arrested after 'drug run'

BANGKOK: -- A 30-year-old Filipino woman was arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Friday for allegedly smuggling 2.65 kilograms of cocaine worth Bt8 million from Brazil to Bangkok, police said Saturday.

Following a tip-off, police stopped suspect Kawajal Dikna D Gusman for a search and found two bags of cocaine in her travel bag. She reportedly confessed that she picked up the drug in Brazil to take to Bangkok's Nana area, pending distribution.

She allegedly told police she had done this many times, and that each time she was paid Bt60,000 by a transnational drug gang.

Police initially charged her possessing cocaine to sell and smuggling narcotics into Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Second Filipino woman to be arrested using the same flights, the other was a few months ago.

Will they ever learn?

I can't understand why the police arrested the woman at the airport, if they are suspicious of her for whatever reason, then just follow her.

Busting her achieves nothing, she could have led them further up the ladder, the closer you get to the the top of the ladder, those there will be more likely to know who is really running things, and when facing 50 Years in prison are more likely to co-operate with The Police.

She won't know anything, she just a mule who's expendable, sure she'll know the next person up the ladder from her, but as she is on the very first rung of a very high ladder, they should have followed her and eventually they could have got most of the gang.

And if anybody says they were tipped off by the gang so 10 more people on the same flight could get through unhindered I'll Scream !!!!!!

They ain't gonna sacrifice that amount of gear, no need to when she would still get 50 years for 100gms.

It's probably that The Customs and The Police don't co-operate with each other for various reasons, don't wanna step on each others corrupt toes.

So the financially vulnerable mules keep getting busted, while the rich guys that run the show remain rich and poor people willing to take a chance for a quick 60,000 Baht are in no short supply, and there is a never ending supply, unless all the poor suddenly have money, which is what they are trying to do in the first place.

Many people from rich countries can't understand that, simply because they have never been poor.

Many here now will be screaming for the death sentence ( As it's a 30 Year old Female from PI, maybe not ), you will be amazed that she would take such a chance for a measly 60,000 Baht, but don't be amazed, in her country of birth you could have 10 People killed for that amount.

100/1 the guy that runs things isn't from The Philipines.

Edited by GM1955

And of course the other 5 couriers carrying twice that amount all got through (the organisers of the couriers probably having grassed up this one as a small sacrifice), and whoever is paid off in customs/elsewhere will all get their usual tip for lookign the other way. It's the same everywhere unfortunately.

Congratulations are in order,

6 responses so far and not one screaming for The Death Penalty. ( 30 year old filipina woman have anything to do with it ? )

If it was a Male from Pakistan he would have been cyber tried, convicted, executed and already buried by a ThaiVisa lynch mob.

Of course, if they did try to follow her and arrest someone 'higher up', they might: 1. Lose track of her and not arrest her or anyone else! or 2. End up arresting a Police General (not a good idea if you are a lowly Inspector or Captain!). They are probably just glad to make a simple arrest without any additional risk.

I just find it curious that the last Philipina was caught on a 'tip-off' too.............. There can't be many flights that arrive direct from So. America, just wondering if they are routinely checking any Philipinos arriving direct from S. A. ????

She said she had done this many times. Wonder how many and if its the same airline etc, each time? Guess the drug sniffing dogs are on holiday at both ends of the flight? Wonder what would be called suspicious when luggage goes through X-ray, guess not a couple bags of unidentified powder?

^sadly no, all the time there is poverty there will be a supply of the gullible willing to risk all for an amount of money some would spend on a good weekend.

I'm sick of hearing this "as long as there is poverty" routine. Is poverty an excuse for murder? For rape? For violent assault/gang violence? Drug smuggling is just as much a threat - just on a mass basis! So why is it so much more "understandable"? Harsh penalties are in order, lack of means notwithstanding. (But I do agree that you'd think LE would have some interest in tailing these mules to find the higher-ups.)

6 responses so far and not one screaming for The Death Penalty. ( 30 year old filipina woman have anything to do with it ? )

If it was a Male from Pakistan he would have been cyber tried, convicted, executed and already buried by a ThaiVisa lynch mob.

:)

I totally agree. A 30 year old woman might be more interesting (In a sexual way) than some Iranian males for the 'killers' of this forum.

Indeed some are writing hateful posts without knowing how it is to have nothing. And I mean nothing. N O T H I N G.

Most of us were never hungry, lots had the money to buy a big house, car, motorbikes, and of course plenty of money to find out that you can’t own land here in Thailand.

And you can’t buy love from the 30 years younger girl, only sex. Sorry, but true.

The so loved young Thai girl turns out into something who she really is, telling you to go home. Unfortunately, some are jumping down from the 15th floor, or they’ll find other ways to commit suicide.

Others kept only their notebooks to write weird posts here on this forum...........HANG THEM ALL bla, bla,..

“She allegedly told police she had done this many times, and that each time she was paid Bt60,000 by a transnational drug gang.”

So why are they too stupid to make her a good deal to find the money makers behind it? Might be true that some high shots, the untouchables are doing it.

How many Thai women fly from S. America to Thailand? While we’re writing, reading and hating each other, lots of others come through the customs; deliver and others are making the big money.

But there’s so much hate in this forum, people should realize that we all live in the same world.

Malicious pleasure is something that keeps some people here alive. Chock dee.

Who says it's coke the article says "allegedly smuggling 2.65 kilograms of cocaine" but it could have been any white powder, maybe they weren't sacrificing anything

Cause they tried a nose.......

Second Filipino woman to be arrested using the same flights, the other was a few months ago.

Will they ever learn?

I can't understand why the police arrested the woman at the airport, if they are suspicious of her for whatever reason, then just follow her.

Busting her achieves nothing, she could have led them further up the ladder, the closer you get to the the top of the ladder, those there will be more likely to know who is really running things, and when facing 50 Years in prison are more likely to co-operate with The Police.

She won't know anything, she just a mule who's expendable, sure she'll know the next person up the ladder from her, but as she is on the very first rung of a very high ladder, they should have followed her and eventually they could have got most of the gang.

And if anybody says they were tipped off by the gang so 10 more people on the same flight could get through unhindered I'll Scream !!!!!!

They ain't gonna sacrifice that amount of gear, no need to when she would still get 50 years for 100gms.

It's probably that The Customs and The Police don't co-operate with each other for various reasons, don't wanna step on each others corrupt toes.

So the financially vulnerable mules keep getting busted, while the rich guys that run the show remain rich and poor people willing to take a chance for a quick 60,000 Baht are in no short supply, and there is a never ending supply, unless all the poor suddenly have money, which is what they are trying to do in the first place.

Many people from rich countries can't understand that, simply because they have never been poor.

Many here now will be screaming for the death sentence ( As it's a 30 Year old Female from PI, maybe not ), you will be amazed that she would take such a chance for a measly 60,000 Baht, but don't be amazed, in her country of birth you could have 10 People killed for that amount.

Regardless if they follow her or she talks the police are only going to get (from her) the next person up the ladder.

^sadly no, all the time there is poverty there will be a supply of the gullible willing to risk all for an amount of money some would spend on a good weekend.

I'm sick of hearing this "as long as there is poverty" routine. Is poverty an excuse for murder? For rape? For violent assault/gang violence? Drug smuggling is just as much a threat - just on a mass basis! So why is it so much more "understandable"? Harsh penalties are in order, lack of means notwithstanding. (But I do agree that you'd think LE would have some interest in tailing these mules to find the higher-ups.)

You should rent Maria, Full of Grace. It's a good movie!

Will they ever learn?

Regardless if they follow her or she talks the police are only going to get (from her) the next person up the ladder.

And the next person might want to talk too.......

Then they watch him/her, who they deliver to and so on and so on, it's called a Police Investigation. People get arrested then co=operate to get immunity from prosecution, then they give information and so on and so on, working up the ladder.

It's making a case.

In The West these operations can last for years until they have enough evidence to swoop in and take them all, big shots included.

Why not Thailand ?

As suggested already by another poster, it could lead to people are too influential to arrest. and the whole system is so Corrupt it would be a total waste of manpower.

Edited by GM1955

I would take it that you have never been in a situation where you have nothing. Had you ever been there. then you would understand how someone can risk it all for what some would call next to nothing!!!

You guys watch to many US reality TV shows.

The Thai Police have no interest in following the drug trail even if they had the skill to do so.

I think the logic put forth that a few sacrificial couriers are tipped off so the rest can get through serves both sides pretty well.

"The death penalty" Please read the book "The last Executioner" available at Asia Books and other bookstores. 40 Years ago heroin manufacturers received the death penalty in Thailand. Can anyone give me one example of the death penalty for narcotics in Thailand in the past 20 years????

QUOTE (hawker9000 @ 2010-06-06 13:21:45) QUOTE (PhilHarries @ 2010-06-05 21:11:26) ^sadly no, all the time there is poverty there will be a supply of the gullible willing to risk all for an amount of money some would spend on a good weekend.

I would take it that you have never been in a situation where you have nothing. Had you ever been there. then you would understand how someone can risk it all for what some would call next to nothing!!!

Poverty has nothing do do with it in the 70's there were an abundant number of chicks willing to do the run from Bangkok or Bombay for a few bucks and a few lines. I'm sure little has changed... Although I have changed the road that I was on.

Love these guys harsher penalties, they have been trying that for 30 years now its called the war on drugs other than to spend tons of money what has it accomplished.

Absolutely nothing

I spent the last 6 years in Mexico, last year they allowed possession of about 25 grams of marijuana half a gram of cocaine and 100 milligrams of heroin without criminal penalty, yes Mexico a third world country has finally recognized the drug problem. Addiction is an addiction and should not be treated as a criminal offence. Legalize it. Take the money out of the Gangs. The Canadian government is growing marijuana in old unused mines to supply to those who have 2 signatures from doctors to suggest it is beneficial for them. Unfortunately the quality is so bad, people are still scoring from the street. Methadone clinics abound today all you need to do is pee so they can find traces of heroin in your body and you get methadone free. Thirty years ago in Canada the Methadone clinics were run by the RCMP royal canadian mounted police in order to monitor the number of heroin addicts. Been there done that.

And of course the other 5 couriers carrying twice that amount all got through (the organisers of the couriers probably having grassed up this one as a small sacrifice), and whoever is paid off in customs/elsewhere will all get their usual tip for lookign the other way. It's the same everywhere unfortunately.

When will they ever learn thar when they get a "tip" that the "tip" is NOT the target but the other 5 or 8 couriours that are moving through at the same time ARE what they need to be aprehending or at the very least being more alert to.

"The death penalty" Please read the book "The last Executioner" available at Asia Books and other bookstores. 40 Years ago heroin manufacturers received the death penalty in Thailand. Can anyone give me one example of the death penalty for narcotics in Thailand in the past 20 years????

There was approx. 2,500 summary executions under Thaksin

There was approx. 2,500 summary executions under Thaksin

The truth is that approx. more than 3,000 people got killed in a period of three months. The 'heads' just disappeared for this time and came back to make more money.

And the skeletons in containers near Satthapip made a lot of sense. Ironic was that every dead 'dealer' had a weapon in his hand after getting killed by T.'s forces.