(non-thai) Asians In Chiang Mai...

Onidzuka

Being an Asian/American here in Thailand has been interesting the last couple months. I noticed that I don't get a lot of smiles when they find out that I'm a farang. It's like the smile automatically turns into an almost annoyed look, I don't know why this happens, it's happened to me twice at The Dukes by their servers and then to the white farangs next to me, it would be the complete polar opposite service to what I'm getting.

Now, I'm not complaining, I just found it interesting. I found that the younger ones are the ones that give annoyed looks, the older ones are more patient and smile back. And just another note, I do smile! I smile all the time and I am very polite always saying my "Please" and "Thank you" etc., (my mom raised me well).

It's kind of great on one side because since I can blend in with the crowd, like in China Town, I can go in there without being haggled constantly.

Does anyone else have any other experiences they would like to share?

Edited by Onidzuka

Onidzuka, could it be just a look of confusion per chance? Could you be mistaken for Thai? If so, maybe its a mix of shock, embarrassment, and other factors, and not actually meaning to drop their smile for you or make you feel upset.

It could be, don't get me wrong but then after they find out I'm a farang, I never see that smile again. It's just funny that even though I may be a farang, I "look" Thai so it's like all the service and hospitality that is suppose to go for a "farang" goes out the window with me.

The servers at The Duke don't even look me in the eye when I say thank you (in Thai), actually the last time I was there, I don't even think they made eye contact once with me (since they knew me from before).

Onidzuka, why do you think you are farang?

It never occurred to me to actually look up farang and see the actual definition. Following the definition, I wouldn't be a farang, I didn't know that, my bad. I just came to the term that farang meant foreigner because sometimes when Thais find out I'm not Thai, I often hear whispers of farang, I just assumed it was universal for foreigner.

gluai or banana is probably more applicable than farang in this case

ie yellow on outside and white inside

well thats what my Singapore cousins used to say to me

btw the new forum layout takes abit of getting used to

Edited by Donnyboy

Are you sure you are not suffering from an inferiority complex?

I am a regular visitor at the Dukes, they have all types of customers, all nationalities. The staff always smile and friendly.

Thais only smile at Farangs because they believe we have more money and the possibility of gaining bigger tips. You`re lucky, because you can probably get away with paying Thai prices and avoid the crap most of us ex-pats have to endure.

Just take advantage of your situation and don`t concern yourself with what you think others are thinking.

Well, I'm in a similar boat to you being a foreigner who has an Asian appearance, but I find people are pretty nice to me and often intrigued what my origins are. The vast majority of people I encounter assume I'm Thai and often laugh in disbelief that I'm not. But I agree, it's a really interesting experience living here and looking like a local. I think my main disadvantage has nothing to do with my appearance but my current lack of language skills. Like yesterday, I did get slightly ripped off a little at a stall near Thapae Gate yesterday, so looking Asian doesn't always help -- the woman jacked up the price of some food and I didn't really have the energy to argue at that point so just paid her. But eventually, when I can speak Thai properly, it will be much harder to pick me as a foreigner especially because I will be able to speak Thai without a 'farang' accent.

I've never been to Duke's though but actually, I think I know the facial expression you're talking about, and if I have ever seen it, it's from younger shop assistants etc.

As for the term farang, I guess people like us technically don't fit the definition but I still refer to myself as one anyway, especially given that currently most people I hang out with are farang, including a couple of girls from overseas who are Asian in appearance too.

I'm an American chinese living here and i'm enjoying my life here so far. I look so much like thai that not many Thais believe that i'm actually not. I even speak decent thai when I'm in the mood. Its funny to see all the confusion in their faces. Even foreigners are confused sometimes when they interact with me. My point is you are who you are and no matter whether you're liked or disliked, life is great. Live it to the fullest.

I am a regular visitor at the Dukes, they have all types of customers, all nationalities. The staff always smile and friendly.

Thais only smile at Farangs because they believe we have more money and the possibility of gaining bigger tips. You`re lucky, because you can probably get away with paying Thai prices and avoid the crap most of us ex-pats have to endure.

Just take advantage of your situation and don`t concern yourself with what you think others are thinking.

inferiority complex, me? no why should i have?

my post was an attempt of humour, i should have incl an emoticon

just to be clear in my original post reply, farang is a fruit so is a gluai wink.gif

or was yr reply meant for the OP?

you have a very cynical view of Thais if you think they smile at you just coz they believe you have more money and hope to gain more tips, do many of the farang in Thailand think this as well?

as for being lucky looking asian, yes its ok blending in here but on the flip side, i grew up in a mainly farang life, and ive had my fair share of sh*t, from racial slurs to tuants and insults

How odd. I think its the opposite for me.

I am ethnically Lao, born and raised in the US but with traditional parents, so I understand Lao and Thai culture. I speak Lao and Thai... and when I get confuse I mix my languages and it turns out close enough to Chiangmai Dialect. lol (and no not Issan, Issan dialect has a different accent.).

I'm usually confused for Japanese or Thai (but mostly Japanese) here, so everyone tries to speaks English to me until I answer back in Thai. They usually have a shocked face and laugh it off and start asking me questions. Actually, I've had someone try to speak Japanese to me... and I knew she was Thai. lol

Personally I find Thai people in Chiangmai MORE friendly to me then to farangs or foreigners. Maybe its cause I speak and understand Thai to the point of almost native speaker.

I've been to Duke's (on the river). I've never had that experience. My server was friendly the whole time. And I DID NOT speak a word of Thai when I was there, just English. I also left him a 15% tip too. lol

I think youre just thinking too much into it. Most times they wont look you in the eye, it seems to be a bit embarrassing for them, especially the younger ones. Also I dunno, looking someone right in the eye is also like an aggressive thing/rude in Asian culture. I dunno how to word it. Its more like if youre a strangers you dont look each other in the eye, but if you know someone really well then thats a different story. Traveling in Asia.. I've notice they try NOT to look people in the eye.

They are normally confused and embarrassed when they first find out youre not Thai. Its almost similar to losing face... but not that degree.

I would be a little careful about trying to understand things with a western mentality. You should just accent that they do things is way. Also... this is Thailand, and with the "may pen aray" attitude, you should just brush it off. Thai people arent too xenophobic about other Asian people.

~ Farang is slang used for Caucasian people. Its a "play" on the Thai/ Lao pronunciation for French.

~ Khaaek means guest, but is also slang for Middle Eastern or Indian people.

~ khon meuut is used for someone of African decent,

~ Asian is used for Asians.... lol actually it depends on your ethnicity. its just easier to say Japanese or Chinese or Lao or whatever you are. Asians arent normally grouped together but separate.

Edited by Yunnie

Another asian american here just chiming in, Thai- American in fact. or to be more detailed a thai-redneck. I also get mistaken for Japanese and freak farangs out when i speak English with a Southern drawl.

I think people freak out around us because theyre not sure how they should act. This goes for both Thai and other nationalities, although Europeans are more accepting and freak out less. Since their mother tongues aren't English either.

Sometimes my greatest joy is to sit there in the corner and listen to everyone talk about me, when they don't think i can understand. lol

just to be clear in my original post reply, farang is a fruit so is a gluai wink.gif

you have a very cynical view of Thais if you think they smile at you just coz they believe you have more money and hope to gain more tips, do many of the farang in Thailand think this as well?

as for being lucky looking asian, yes its ok blending in here but on the flip side, i grew up in a mainly farang life, and ive had my fair share of sh*t, from racial slurs to tuants and insults

Sorry Donnyboy, my reply is meant for the OP.

I`m having problems with this new format and don`t know how my reply ended up here.

Sorry Donnyboy, my reply is meant for the OP.

I`m having problems with this new format and don`t know how my reply ended up here.

no worries, hope you do change yr mind about smiling Thais, alot are genuine people, not all are after yr money