Approval For House Plan By Or Bor Tor

Hi, we are trying to get an approval from Or Bor Tor for our house plan. They told us if we like our name, farang who have long term lease for the land, on the approval, it will cost 50,000-60,000 Baht. If we do not mind use land owner, Thai National, name for approval, it will only cost 20,000 Baht. Do you know if there is any down side of using Thai national's name for approval for the house ? Thank you.

If you expect to register (own) the house in your name with the land office, then you will need your name on he building permit and/or sales agreement. If the lease is for the land only, and you are building the house, you should at least own it.

Edited by InterestedObserver

My the official fee for a "permit to build" seems to have risen a bit since 2006. In our small town there is a government office where people apply for the "permit to build". We do not live in a village. We submitted a detailed house plan drawn by a local Thai architect and a local Thai structural engineer. You could also choose from any of the free house plans at that office. I paid just North of 800 baht for the "permit to build" in MY NAME ONLY. That was VERY high due to the size of the house. The vast majority of homes in our community have less expensive "permit to build" prices since they have less square meters.

The "permit to build" fee is based on SIZE of the structure not the budget. It took about one month for the process, because it took me a while to realize they either wanted a "yellow house book" (which I did get for free based on my rental house address) OR a paper from the US Embassy or PERHAPS a paper from Thai Immigration stating where I currently lived. ALL of the other paperwork requirements for a legal "Permit to Build" were quite simple. My wife owns the land the house is built on, but I was not yet married when I received that "permit to build". You might check around on that quoted fee. Your Thai architect or Thai building contractor should be fully aware of the "real" government fee. The permit to build plays a real role in your "house number", new Blue and Yellow house books, utility hook ups. If you "skip" one part of the "process" you might leave yourself open for bribe requests down the line.

Looks like someone is tugging your chain here, there's an extra zero :)

I don't recall exactly how much our cost (in my name) last year, but it was nothing like 20k, more like 3k (in Pathum Thani) and that was the 'expedited' fee.

Anyone have an 'official' rates list, or is it up to the local council to set the fee?

Thank you for all your commnets. Unfotunately it looks like no less than 20,000 baht (with Thai national's name).

There was an article at http://www.phuketgaz...rticle8804.html this makes me think regardless the house you spend money belongs to Thai land owner technically ?????

The link appears to be broken. Yes, it is true in too many a cases the dwellings on leased land actually belongs to the land owners and not the lease holders. However, this can be sorted out later but the best thing is to undertake the preparatory actions beforehand.

On lease land:

1. Register a superficies in addition to the land lease. A superficies clearly states that the lease holder can build a house on someone else's land.

2. Try to get the building permit is in the name of the lease holder. This is not always possible but it makes it easier to separate the house from the land.

3. Ensure it is clearly stated in the house construction / purchase contract that is in the lease holders name.

4. Submit all payments for the house in the name of the lease holder.

5. Once the house has been built, take the building permit (if in the lease holders name), the house construction / purchase contract and the evidence of payments to the land office and register the house.

6. Pay the fees and get a certificate (no title document) of ownership.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for all your commnets. Unfotunately it looks like no less than 20,000 baht (with Thai national's name).

There was an article at http://www.phuketgaz...rticle8804.html this makes me think regardless the house you spend money belongs to Thai land owner technically ?????

The link appears to be broken. Yes, it is true in too many a cases the dwellings on leased land actually belongs to the land owners and not the lease holders. However, this can be sorted out later but the best thing is to undertake the preparatory actions beforehand.

On lease land:

1. Register a superficies in addition to the land lease. A superficies clearly states that the lease holder can build a house on someone else's land.

2. Try to get the building permit is in the name of the lease holder. This is not always possible but it makes it easier to separate the house from the land.

3. Ensure it is clearly stated in the house construction / purchase contract that is in the lease holders name.

4. Submit all payments for the house in the name of the lease holder.

5. Once the house has been built, take the building permit (if in the lease holders name), the house construction / purchase contract and the evidence of payments to the land office and register the house.

6. Pay the fees and get a certificate (no title document) of ownership.

Great deal then when the 30 year lease runs out the land owner can deny you access to land and you have lost the house what a way to try and own property in Thailand

Recently 3000b, no haggling, but many errors came with it that they wouldn't fix. bah.gif I don't get why they changed it ? Another special Thai moment.

I thought they were meant to approve plans, not edit them.

They insisted the kitchen should be out the back, he knows best, idiot.

Insisted that 9m rammed piles are not needed and replaced them with with a ring around them 1m down. idiot.

The piles were already in the ground at this stage with the join being done to cure !!!

and the best is 2m extra was added to one side of the house, and 2 internal concrete pillars were removed, total idiots.

Maybe Thai Gravity is same same but different.

Why the hell it was changed, I don't know, when asked to make it the same as the original, they told us, not to worry about it, it's approved and up to us what we do.

Now I know why the builder is using sketches and not even looking at the plans.

Great deal then when the 30 year lease runs out the land owner can deny you access to land and you have lost the house what a way to try and own property in Thailand

Why not build a nice wooden house, then have it taken down and moved to a new plot just before the 30 years is up? :whistling:

Now I know why the builder is using sketches and not even looking at the plans.

Same here - the plans are just 'paperwork', the builder does not need to see them :)

I'm building 2 small hotels (10 guest rooms) in Phuket. One hotel is in Tambon xxx and the other is just over the border in Tambon yyy. For xxx, the planning approval fee (Thai name) was 50,000 baht, and for yyy (Thai name), it was 20,000 baht. But for that case, I was also issued with an official receipt for 62 baht!!!

Simon

Our local land office had 7 late model Mercedes Benz and 1 very nice BMW in the staff parking section. Not bad for public servants in a small town. laugh.gif

Sure it is not the same office where we got the building permit though, No Benz there, just correcting, the fee was 3000b and a bottle of whiskey to get it processed in a few days.

I had this delusional ideal that house plans were actual plans to be used to build the house, silly me. I was also very concerned, that we would have issues when finished for a building inspection, as the house is VERY different to the plans.........what building inspection. Defiantly been a learning process.ohmy.gif

It seems, it is only to get another little "tip", and provide the first stage of paper work to get a blue book, power put on and other utilities.