Power Cuts

I wouldn't try and use your m/w oven, washing mashing, etc. The low voltage is extremely bad for these items. I'd unplug them for now.

Matt.

Matt: Ok, thanks, I will. I am just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. My elec was going out for one hour the last few days, but when it came on it was on at 220v.

Matt. When the voltage dips, would that cause my PC to reboot?

Confused and frutsrated of Chaweng:rolleyes:

It could cause this effect, it depends on how much the voltage drops by. In my opinion every PC on this island should be plugged in to a good spec UPS. No UPS and you're asking for trouble.

Matt.

Matt. When the voltage dips, would that cause my PC to reboot?

Confused and frutsrated of Chaweng:rolleyes:

It could cause this effect, it depends on how much the voltage drops by. In my opinion every PC on this island should be plugged in to a good spec UPS. No UPS and you're asking for trouble.

Matt.

Thanks Matt. I thought I had problems with my PC. Can you recommend a good UPS, from where and roughly how much?

The only brand of UPS I recommend is APC.

You want the cream coloured version as this is designed specifically for a desktop PC and comes with the USB cable (to enable communication between PC and UPS for automatic shut down) and software.

Banana IT is the cheapest place on the island to buy one (as cheap as Bangkok) It should be around 3,000 Baht. They 500VA and 650VA model is around the same price. Personally I'd go for the 650VA.

Matt.

in soi bond kai, electric was down for almost 20h sometime 100 volt sometime nothing.

i'm seconding matt's opinion don't use anything that has an electric motor exept if this device is made to run under 90-240v like laptops power supply.

the electric is also not "steady" a lot of spikes wich may result in a fried device, when the power is too unstable my laptop power supplying starts to make an electric noise, it's then time to unplug it.

@ matt do the ups you recommend are able to work between 90V-240V or are they just 220-240v?

i'm thinking to change mine with a model that accepts 90-240 if they exists.

I'm afraid I don't know of any UPS like that. There is a 110V and 230V model. Obviously we use the 230V model here in Thailand. The lower and upper limits for the UPS is around 185v and 260v respectively.

The amount of spikes in the electric here is terrible. My UPS's are clicking on/off constantly. Especially when I had a building site next to me and they were arc welding!

Remember a UPS won't protect you against spikes if it's not earthed. A UPS needs to be able to disperse the extra voltage to ground.

Matt.

Good grief. It's 3 PM and we haven't had a power cut today.............................:ermm:

Just seen that, you've jinxed it...

Out where I live we have no power between 8am - 3pm every Tuesday, as they're doing work. I used my UPS last week to power my blender to make a smoothie after I got back from a bike ride. B)

Matt.