Options For Mobile Internet

Hi, can anyone advise on possible options for mobile internet. I will be in Thailand for 3 months July-Sep and will need a regular, almost constant, internet connection for my laptop. It doesn't need to be particularly fast, but I will be moving around, mainly near Bangkok quite often. Is there any mobile-broadband usb dongle pay-as-you-go service ? Any other options ?

Edited by sonicdragon

Most bars, pubs and coffee joints and department stores has WIFI. Some free some not.

Hi, thanks for that, but I don't frequent bars and pubs, and anyway I need access pretty much wherever I happen to be - for instance I could get a work-related call at 3AM and need access within a few mins - so I think it needs to be a service that works over the public cellular phone network.....

I used to have Hutch mobile internet service when I lived in Thailand a few years ago and that worked like a treat, but that needs a one year contract. What I need is some kind of pay as you go service.

Any suggestions ?

Both AIS and Dtac have Edge (GPRS). You can get unlimited packages on the pre-paid sim-cards. AIS currently just under 700 Baht unlimited.

Regular EDGE dongles are cheap.

Not fast but usable, comparable to the speeds hutch gave a while ago. Nationwide coverage...

If you stay in Bangkok, both True and TOT have 3G, but not full coverage yet. I think both available pre-paid.

Unfortunately they are on different frequencies, so one device can't do both systems.

True will simply fall back to EDGE when outside of 3G range, not sure if you get any internet at all on TOT if outside 3G coverage...

TOT 3G

No idea on True's website for 3G, I have long given up trying to navigate their webmaze :)

^For a little while (couple of weeks) I had just a GPRS connection to do basic stuff with online and it was a LIVING NIGHTMARE. More often than not, I ended up in the car, cruising Bangkok looking for somewhere to connect to WIFI.

Most areas of Bangkok (I think they claim all) have WIFI access (True), so you only need to purchase access. Of course, leaving the immediate BKK area would almost render that useless, I would imagine.

Both AIS and Dtac have Edge (GPRS). You can get unlimited packages on the pre-paid sim-cards. AIS currently just under 700 Baht unlimited.

Regular EDGE dongles are cheap.

Not fast but usable, comparable to the speeds hutch gave a while ago. Nationwide coverage...

If you stay in Bangkok, both True and TOT have 3G, but not full coverage yet. I think both available pre-paid.

Unfortunately they are on different frequencies, so one device can't do both systems.

True will simply fall back to EDGE when outside of 3G range, not sure if you get any internet at all on TOT if outside 3G coverage...

TOT 3G

No idea on True's website for 3G, I have long given up trying to navigate their webmaze :)

Hi Monty, and thanks for the info. I'll be in the greater Bangkok area all the time. From what you said it sounds like I can just buy a AIS or DTAC pre-paid SIM (I assume this is what we call pay-as-you-go in the UK ?) and a "Regular EDGE" dongle and this will give me internet access wherever there is a AIS/DTAC signal. I don't need much bandwidth so speed is not a critical issue. I assume a Regular Edge dongle is just a USB device that the SIM plugs into, much like the Hutch device I had a few years ago ? Do you know where can I buy one ? So I would have unlimited access for 700Bt ? That sounds very cheap.....

I don't know much about 3G but I thought it was something for mobile phones only, or are there dongles for that which I can use with my laptop ?

^For a little while (couple of weeks) I had just a GPRS connection to do basic stuff with online and it was a LIVING NIGHTMARE. More often than not, I ended up in the car, cruising Bangkok looking for somewhere to connect to WIFI.

Most areas of Bangkok (I think they claim all) have WIFI access (True), so you only need to purchase access. Of course, leaving the immediate BKK area would almost render that useless, I would imagine.

Hi neverdie, in what way was it a nightmare - no connection, or slow connection, or ...... ? I don't mind a slow connection - I live with the Hutch mobile service before - but no connection at all would be a problem.

Hi neverdie, in what way was it a nightmare - no connection, or slow connection, or ...... ? I don't mind a slow connection - I live with the Hutch mobile service before - but no connection at all would be a problem.

Firstly, we arent just talking 'SLOW' here, we are talking record breaking slow speed stuff.

Also I experienced constant drop outs. To me the two combined made GPRS very annoying.

As I also said, its my understanding that if you goto a TRUE shop, upon arrival in Bkk, you can purchase WIFI time & of course prior to going there you can search for WIFI connections in the area that you are staying & you will know if you have a TRUE WIFI available. Its been a couple of years since I looked at it, but it wasnt an expensive option back then, so I doubt it will be now.

I also had a favourite coffee shop near my place that I would frequent. Most of them have WIFI now & its a good excuse for a coffee.

Firstly, we arent just talking 'SLOW' here, we are talking record breaking slow speed stuff.

Also I experienced constant drop outs. To me the two combined made GPRS very annoying.

As I also said, its my understanding that if you goto a TRUE shop, upon arrival in Bkk, you can purchase WIFI time & of course prior to going there you can search for WIFI connections in the area that you are staying & you will know if you have a TRUE WIFI available. Its been a couple of years since I looked at it, but it wasnt an expensive option back then, so I doubt it will be now.

I also had a favourite coffee shop near my place that I would frequent. Most of them have WIFI now & its a good excuse for a coffee.

Hi again

As for slow speed - I think I can live with it. Sometimes I use a 28.8k dial-up modem at a remote location in Scotland and it's fine, though constant dropouts would likely be more of a problem.

I know for a fact there are no WiFi hotspots near enough to my in-laws house where I will stay some of the time in Bangkok to get a connection there. The problem with going to coffee shops is that there isn't always one open at the time I need to connect (eg 3AM).

Several months ago I bought a generic USB (dongle) EDGE modem from Pantip and it works great. However, I highly recommend that you take your laptop (assuming that's what you're using) with you and have them set it up for you. The first one I bought didn't work. Took it back. The guy tried another one (different model), didn't work. Third one worked great! Happened to be the cheapest one too, around 1000 baht with 12-Call SIM card included. 30 hours of internet for 100 baht good for 30 days. Top-up with cards from 7-11. I've since set this up on several more computers without a hitch. Easy self-loading software. Coverage is good anywhere you can get a phone signal. I've used it in taxis and on the sky train with no problems.

About a month ago I bought a Sierra Wireless 3G USB dongle with an iMobile sim for 2300 Baht. 7.2 Mbps and it is FAST!!! Coverage in Bagkok is good, spotty in surrounding provinces. Although fast, it's expensive. 100 baht only gets you 100 megabytes of data transferred. iMobile doesn't provide internet access by the hour. Their best "sign-up" package only gets you 6 gig of data for 700 baht. Definitely not worth it for me. Again I highly recommend taking your laptop and having them set it up. The 3G dongle is a lot more involved. The guy set it up on my laptop with no problem and showed me how to do it. When I got home I tried to set it up on a desktop and couldn't. Took the desktop to him and it took him nearly an hour to do it. And this is guy that has set up hundreds of these things. You have been warned. Have since been able to set it up myself on several other computers but I don't use it much due to the cost. Will soon look into a more cost effective SIM. If anyone has any suggestions please reply.

Cheers

Edited by blitzfix

Several months ago I bought a generic USB (dongle) EDGE modem from Pantip and it works great. However, I highly recommend that you take your laptop (assuming that's what you're using) with you and have them set it up for you. The first one I bought didn't work. Took it back. The guy tried another one (different model), didn't work. Third one worked great! Happened to be the cheapest one too, around 1000 baht with 12-Call SIM card included. 30 hours of internet for 100 baht good for 30 days. Top-up with cards from 7-11. I've since set this up on several more computers without a hitch. Easy self-loading software. Coverage is good anywhere you can get a phone signal. I've used it in taxis and on the sky train with no problems.

About a month ago I bought a Sierra Wireless 3G USB dongle with an iMobile sim for 2300 Baht. 7.2 Mbps and it is FAST!!! Coverage in Bagkok is good, spotty in surrounding provinces. Although fast, it's expensive. 100 baht only gets you 100 megabytes of data transferred. iMobile doesn't provide internet access by the hour. Their best "sign-up" package only gets you 6 gig of data for 700 baht. Definitely not worth it for me. Again I highly recommend taking your laptop and having them set it up. The 3G dongle is a lot more involved. The guy set it up on my laptop with no problem and showed me how to do it. When I got home I tried to set it up on a desktop and couldn't. Took the desktop to him and it took him nearly an hour to do it. And this is guy that has set up hundreds of these things. You have been warned. Have since been able to set it up myself on several other computers but I don't use it much due to the cost. Will soon look into a more cost effective SIM. If anyone has any suggestions please reply.

Cheers

Thanks for that. Seems like the USB dongle from pantip is the way to go for me ! Which brand/model of dongle did you get ?

Thanks for that. Seems like the USB dongle from pantip is the way to go for me ! Which brand/model of dongle did you get ?

Good question! It says "EDGE Modem". No brand name. I've attached a picture of it. Just used it today. Works great! As has been said many times before, EDGE is not fast, but it is usable. Here in Bangkok I get "5 bars" everytime I use it. Outside of Bangkok I've been in areas where I get only 2 or 3 bars but even then I can do what I need to on the net. I am very curious to know if a "better" name-brand dongle would get a stronger signal but this one has worked well enough that I haven't bothered spending the money on another (except the 3G one I wasted my money on. Oh well... Satisfied my curiosity.).

If anyone else out there has experience with these things please join the conversation. Cheers!

post-79843-079305500 1276203504_thumb.jp

Edited by blitzfix

Good question! It says "EDGE Modem". No brand name. I've attached a picture of it. Just used it today. Works great! As has been said many times before, EDGE is not fast, but it is usable. Here in Bangkok I get "5 bars" everytime I use it. Outside of Bangkok I've been in areas where I get only 2 or 3 bars but even then I can do what I need to on the net. I am very curious to know if a "better" name-brand dongle would get a stronger signal but this one has worked well enough that I haven't bothered spending the money on another (except the 3G one I wasted my money on. Oh well... Satisfied my curiosity.).

If anyone else out there has experience with these things please join the conversation. Cheers!

Looks very much like the "AirNet USB EDGE Modem M100" here

Edge Aircard | Edge Modem | Edge for AIS | Edge for Dtac | Edge for True

And as an added tip, if you use the regular Edge dongle, get a simcard both from Dtac and AIS. They are cheap anyway (50 Baht or so).

Then in the location where you will be using it the most, try both. In some locations AIS will be steady and OK speeds and Dtac might be slow, other locations might be the way around!

When you haven't subscribed to a package yet, you will be deducted 1 Baht/minute when on-line. Good enough for a bit of trial. Once you decided which one seems to be the best, take out a package, and use the other one simply as a back-up...

If it is just to get internet access to a PC why not use Hutch? Seems they are the only one outside the few areas (Bangkok, Chang Mai) that has 3G. Walking past Hutch in South Pattaya the other day I saw they have a big ad for some sort of USB dongle for 590 baht. Probably requires some subscription as well but Hutch was usually about the same price or cheaper than the others anyway.

If it is just to get internet access to a PC why not use Hutch? Seems they are the only one outside the few areas (Bangkok, Chang Mai) that has 3G. Walking past Hutch in South Pattaya the other day I saw they have a big ad for some sort of USB dongle for 590 baht. Probably requires some subscription as well but Hutch was usually about the same price or cheaper than the others anyway.

The subscription would be the problem, as I'm only here for 3 months, and likely not back again for another year, which will likely be 2 months next summer.

And as an added tip, if you use the regular Edge dongle, get a simcard both from Dtac and AIS. They are cheap anyway (50 Baht or so).

Then in the location where you will be using it the most, try both. In some locations AIS will be steady and OK speeds and Dtac might be slow, other locations might be the way around!

When you haven't subscribed to a package yet, you will be deducted 1 Baht/minute when on-line. Good enough for a bit of trial. Once you decided which one seems to be the best, take out a package, and use the other one simply as a back-up...

Did I misunderstand earlier ? You said "You can get unlimited packages on the pre-paid sim-cards. AIS currently just under 700 Baht unlimited". Surely it would be worth just having one of those from both DTAC and AIS and using whichever gives the best speed at the time, in the location I happen to be ? Then it's just 1400 Bt per month with (hopefully) no headaches.

Did I misunderstand earlier ? You said "You can get unlimited packages on the pre-paid sim-cards. AIS currently just under 700 Baht unlimited". Surely it would be worth just having one of those from both DTAC and AIS and using whichever gives the best speed at the time, in the location I happen to be ? Then it's just 1400 Bt per month with (hopefully) no headaches.

Unlimited on Dtac is 1000 Baht/month.

Dtac Happy GPRS

Unlimited on Dtac is 1000 Baht/month.

Dtac Happy GPRS

If you tell them it is for a smartphone the price is 650. Same product. I did it last month (cancelled it again as the speed was painfully slow bordering on useless. Now I just keep 50 hours as backup for 199). EDIT: Sorry Monty, just checked the link, seems the 650 baht package is limited to 1 GB traffic ... they forgot to tell me that ... in any case you'd be hard pressed to reach 1 GB traffic with the speeds I saw with it. Unfortunately I've had my mobile number for years, have it printed on business cards etc so not really an option to change carrier.

Edited by Phil Conners

Cheers

iKool? 1 GB over ten days for 99 baht, for instance. Take a look at all of the MVNO to see what suits you best.

Hi again

As for slow speed - I think I can live with it. Sometimes I use a 28.8k dial-up modem at a remote location in Scotland and it's fine, though constant dropouts would likely be more of a problem.

I know for a fact there are no WiFi hotspots near enough to my in-laws house where I will stay some of the time in Bangkok to get a connection there. The problem with going to coffee shops is that there isn't always one open at the time I need to connect (eg 3AM).

If you are in the UK, it would be better to buy a 3G USB modem there and unlock it. All in cost below £30(1500 baht). Then you can use any SIM card in order to take advantage of 3G where it is available. As the SIM cards cost as little as £1(49 baht) it would be no inconvenience to have one of each to hand and to top up accordingly.

Hi again

If you are in the UK, it would be better to buy a 3G USB modem there and unlock it. All in cost below £30(1500 baht). Then you can use any SIM card in order to take advantage of 3G where it is available. As the SIM cards cost as little as £1(49 baht) it would be no inconvenience to have one of each to hand and to top up accordingly.

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment. I know they have 3G here, so does that mean I should be able to do the same as you suggest ?

But do they have pay as you go 3G sim cards in Thailand ? And do they have unlimited use monthly SIM cards (if not, how much does the data cost ?)

Edited by sonicdragon

On second thoughts I think I'd rather just pay a bit extra at Pantip so at least I'll be sure it works OK.

Up to you. If you can't get 3G in some areas, grab a HAPPY SIM for 49 baht. Unlimited Internet is 267 baht for 7 days as indicated in the link. Try it for one day to see if it suits. Don't bother buying an EDGE modem, it's a waste of money. A 3G modem that covers as many frequencies as possible will be more useful, especially for worldwide travel.

TRUE has 3G in Bangkok and you'll get free access to their Wireless network, but their EDGE service is SLOW.

AIS has 3G and EDGE.

TOT has 3G and is also sold via Virtual networks, some better value than others.

Now you see why it's important that you have an unlocked 3G USB modem which can cover as many frequencies as possible. That way you can obtain whichever SIM will suit your situation.

On second thoughts I think I'd rather just pay a bit extra at Pantip so at least I'll be sure it works OK.

Up to you. If you can't get 3G in some areas, grab a HAPPY SIM for 49 baht. Unlimited Internet is 267 baht for 7 days as indicated in the link. Try it for one day to see if it suits. Don't bother buying an EDGE modem, it's a waste of money. A 3G modem that covers as many frequencies as possible will be more useful, especially for worldwide travel.

TRUE has 3G in Bangkok and you'll get free access to their Wireless network, but their EDGE service is SLOW.

AIS has 3G and EDGE.

TOT has 3G and is also sold via Virtual networks, some better value than others.

Now you see why it's important that you have an unlocked 3G USB modem which can cover as many frequencies as possible. That way you can obtain whichever SIM will suit your situation.

Thanks. What kind of modem is needed for the Happy Sim ?

AIS has 3G and EDGE.

Thanks. What kind of modem is needed for the Happy Sim ?

Any except EVDO.