Team Thai Visa...

TizMe

Ok guys and gals,

Are YOU ready to Help Mankind and have a little Friendly Competition to keep it interesting?

If you are then please read on...

Folding at Home or F@H is a program designed to predict how protein molecules will genetically advance, or "fold"

If a protein molecule folds wrongly we can get diseases like cancers,

The F@H client program is a program used to take a small piece of a protein and predict how it might fold, thus allowing scientists to look into the future and see how cures could be formed or what new diseases we may see in the future.

First you need to download the client program.

To download please click Here

Now you will have to install the client, create a username (I suggest using your ThaiVisa name), and put the team#(45135) in the appropriate box

The FAQ can be found Here just to help you out and make everything clear

Useful Links

The Team's Current Statistics | Here

The Top 1000 Teams : Here

We, The Thai Visa Folding Team, have some catching up to do.

Once you have completed one WU (Work unit), you will apear on the team list,

Team List

Edited by TizMe

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry but I cannot join the Thaivisa Team as I am already running my own personal cluster of 16 computers running full time on the project back in California. My team number is 33481.

I also had been working on the seti program but I gave up becaus I felt that the folding project was for a much great cause. (Lets fix home before we go elsewhere looking for more problems).

BTW my team stats link is here: http://vspx27.stanford.edu/teamstats/team33481.html

I just came up with something, since I allready have a team that is currently ranked 1854 of 38728 and the current Thaivisa team is ranked 0 of 38728; why don't I just change my teams info to Thaivisas and let all of you join my team.. just rename it to Thaivisa. Only if of course that is ok with TizMe.

Also in order for you computer to fold a work unit it usually takes about a week or two depending on how difficult the protien they send you is. I have had some that were done in a couple days. My total work units so far with 16 pc's running it is 1164.

Lemme know if you wanna join my team that only has 1853 more spots to jump up.

Edited by peder.klockmann

I just came up with something, since I allready have a team that is currently ranked 1854 of 38728 and the current Thaivisa team is ranked 0 of 38728; why don't I just change my teams info to Thaivisas and let all of you join my team.. just rename it to Thaivisa.  Only if of course that is ok with TizMe.

Sounds OK to me Peter, its a bit like getting to start the marathon at the 25 mile mark :o

So....its not a pyramid scheme?

No, have a look at "Understanding Folding" for a better idea of what its about. (it takes quite a while to load on a dial up but is quite well done)

Ok Peter,

I've changed my team number to 33481. I've been running probably for about 12 hours and have completed 20 out of 400 frames for my first work unit. Scheduled to end on Tue 28 Jun 05. :o I obviously do not have the computing power available that you have. :D

But all the same I haven't noticed the program slowing my PC to any noticable degree.

If anyone else has started then you can change the team number by right clicking on the application and chosing configure.

I'll PM the admins and ask them to change the useful links in the first post to the new team number.

Lets get folding.

PS: If you are going to join us then just add a reply to this thread to let us know because you wont turn up on the team stats page until you have completed your first work unit.

Ok guys can I ask

a) does my pc have to be running 24/7?

:o does the program use a lot of bandwidth?

Cheers Nickerelastic

Running 24x7 - not necessary, but better if you want to contribute more

Bandwidth - no only downloads a work unit, then once processed uploads the results so minimal bandwidth

a) does my pc have to be running 24/7?

The program will save itself every so often and then do a checkpoint restart when it reactivates. So its OK to shut down your PC without losing too much.

You can run it in 2 modes, one where it only runs in screen saver mode, thereby not using CPU cycles while you are doing other things, or the second mode where it runs all the time and just uses spare CPU cycles. I've been running it all the time on an old PIII and haven't noticed any degredation of performance.

peder I am with you :o

maybe I add 2-3 more computer, later

I am sorry but I cannot join the Thaivisa Team as I am already running my own personal cluster of 16 computers running full time on the project back in California.  My team number is 33481. 

I also had been working on the seti program but I gave up becaus I felt that the folding project was for a much great cause.  (Lets fix home before we go elsewhere looking for more problems).

BTW my team stats link is here:  http://vspx27.stanford.edu/teamstats/team33481.html

I just came up with something, since I allready have a team that is currently ranked 1854 of 38728 and the current Thaivisa team is ranked 0 of 38728; why don't I just change my teams info to Thaivisas and let all of you join my team.. just rename it to Thaivisa.  Only if of course that is ok with TizMe.

Also in order for you computer to fold a work unit it usually takes about a week or two depending on how difficult the protien they send you is.  I have had some that were done in a couple days.  My total work units so far with 16 pc's running it is 1164.

Lemme know if you wanna join my team that only has 1853 more spots to jump up.

Sounds OK to me Peter, its a bit like getting to start the marathon at the 25 mile mark :o

No, have a look at "Understanding Folding" for a better idea of what its about. (it takes quite a while to load on a dial up but is quite well done)

The 25 mile mark is an ideal point to start off at :D

It does take a long time to load and it is very well done. Also it has a link to the Stanford University page for this project which has a TON of information and will answer just about any question anyone would have about this. It is obvious, after looking at this stuff, that this is a legitimate operation being run by cutting edge scientists working on issues that either affect each of us now or will in the future as we age. It was well worth the time it took to load. Thank you very much.

I'm tyring to get into my old hotmail account so I can retrieve the password for my old folding team.

Now I can see how much slower hotmail is than gmail. Beegeezuz. It's like an Dodge Viper against Jeff Jarvis on a Segway :o

I'll be chaning all the info over as soon as I get into my dead hotmail account.

hope you get it, soon!

Meanwhile I am folding some proteins :D

I'm tyring to get into my old hotmail account so I can retrieve the password for my old folding team. 

Now I can see how much slower hotmail is than gmail.  Beegeezuz.  It's like an Dodge Viper against Jeff Jarvis on a Segway :o

I'll be chaning all the info over as soon as I get into my dead hotmail account.

48x2.8 MHz quad Xeons  :o  :D

thats a lot  :D

Interesting. I'll see how it runs on one of my servers. Sure i can throw a few 2.8dual xeons at the team (about 48 :D)

:D

Edited by phazey

Peder: when I add another computer, can I give the same name h90, as the first one? or does every computer need an unique name?

does it need anything on the firewall?

33481_thaivisa.gif

Thaivisa Team # 33481 Logo

Believe it or not, the ###### stupid M$ hotmail servers are timing out on me and I havn't successfully made it inside of my box yet to update the team info.  Stupid M$.

same names would be funny, because than there is a clear ranking who can do how much in compare to the other. Not that I want to start a competition, but just for fun to see how my computers perform.

I believe you can have all of your computers using the same name.  I just did mine with seperate names (in no particular order other than random number presses :o) so that I could tell each different machine appart.

I've got 2 frames finished in just over 7 mins. per frame on a P4 2.4MHz, but my Internet connection comes to a complete halt at times. Thanks True for shaping my bandwidth!

Edited by melus

I guess that depends on the protein and on the amino acids in that area.

Because I need 3min 17 sec for 1 frame on 1 AMD 2500.

Even I like AMD I do not belive in wonders.......

I guess it is really case by case.

By the way one of my collegs at university was working on such a software to fold proteins, but no idea if he is/was involved in this project.

Let it folde :o

in 7 hours my first WU is finished (whatever a WU is)

Some numbers.

My work desktop (crappy P3 933mhz) is taking just under 22 minutes to process a frame. The Xeons are taking a little under three minutes  per frame. Ish.

peder, if you want I can dl it and put it on a hidden area, ftp or ssl area on my server. if you can't get it let me know (Pm). I have a server in Miami. Can even dl it, rar it rename it to jpg and put it on a ssl server!

Michael

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/r...502-Console.exe

Can someone DL the text only version and email it to me?  For some unforseen M$ Fk'up the ###### DL won't get past 64kb :o

I've already tried about 7 times.  I hate military proxy's BTW.