Thai And Uk Immigration Policies

toybits

If the new UK government is going to implement an English-language proficiency test for all non EU immigrant spouses, wouldn't it be just fair to have all foreigners wanting to settle in Thailand to be subjected to a Thai Language proficiency test?

UK introduces language test for immigrant spouses

Agence France-Presse First Posted 09:02:00 06/09/2010

LONDON, United Kingdom—Britain's new government is to introduce an obligatory English language test for all non-EU immigrants seeking to join their spouse or marry here, it announced Wednesday.

All migrants from outside the European Union will have to demonstrate "a basic command of English that allows them to cope with everyday life before they are granted a visa," said the Home Office.

If the new UK government is going to implement an English-language proficiency test for all non EU immigrant spouses, wouldn't it be just fair to have all foreigners wanting to settle in Thailand to be subjected to a Thai Language proficiency test?

LONDON, United Kingdom—Britain's new government is to introduce an obligatory English language test for all non-EU immigrants seeking to join their spouse or marry here, it announced Wednesday.

All migrants from outside the European Union will have to demonstrate "a basic command of English that allows them to cope with everyday life before they are granted a visa," said the Home Office.

They do for Permanent Residence and Citizenship.....

For all other we are Non-immgirants (whether a B or O), therefore would not apply, for something like this in Thailand as would mean a change in the "Visa" process and impart farangs with some sort of legal status here.....

which at present we dont have, granted a WP gives you temporary legal status to a cetain degree for the duration of your WP

I would quite gladly take a Thai proficiency test if I was to receive similar benefits that a Thai wife is going to have once settled in the UK.

Surprised this topic is still open as its running on the VISA and migration to other countries forum.

='toybits' date='2010-06-09 10:00' timestamp='1276052420' post='3675085']

Fairly simple answer to my way of thinking .

UK will accept you as a citizen and so quite rightly has expectations you will integrate into society at large , to become a responsible citizen ,

giving the immigrant the same rights etc as native born peoples .

Thailand affords people only the means to reside in the country , not to become a citizen or be afforded all of the rights associated with being a citizen , you are , and to all intents and purposes , will always remain , a guest , used in the loosest of terms .

That being said , Thai in general should have a smattering of English , giving them conversational opportunity to help them feel welcome as 'Guests ' and able to accommodate them during their shopping expeditions etc , making it easier and more congenial to relieve them of their hard earned money , especially seeing that most of the money spent by 'Guests ' is brought in from an outside source .

i think its easier to come in on the back of a lorry an get given an amnesty as they seem to do, dont know why they want to come to a third world country like the Uk though?? Oh hang on "benefits" I reckon i should go to Thailand and try the same?????????

i think its easier to come in on the back of a lorry an get given an amnesty as they seem to do, dont know why they want to come to a third world country like the Uk though?? Oh hang on "benefits" I reckon i should go to Thailand and try the same?????????

good idea ,

bring your lady into U.K. via poland , rumania etc .

on the back of a lorry . dressed in rags ...WELCOME ..

regarding , farangs resident in thailand , speaking thai .

not important ...... MONEY TALKS .