First Visit To Chiang Mai

karTER

I'll be with my wife and my mother-in-law and we have our accommodation all pre-booked, so that isn't a problem.

We're flying in from Bangkok and have 7 nights at the Imm Hotel Thaphae Chiang Mai and then 2 nights at the Imm Eco. I'm assuming it will be a taxi journey to the hotel from the airport but could anyone advise on transfer time and cost? Will the meter be used or is it time to get striped haggling? :)

Can anyone suggest some ideas of what are "must sees"? We're in our mid 40s and m-i-l is in her early 70s, but sprightly and mobile- she's flying in from the UK on her own so is no softy.

Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Can anyone suggest some ideas of what are "must sees"? We're in our mid 40s and m-i-l is in her early 70s, but sprightly and mobile- she's flying in from the UK on her own so is no softy.

Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Check here for starters - Thaivisa.com - Chiang Mai

As a mid forties couple we'd recommend getting out of the town and into the country side for a day trip or two, the rural side of Northern Thailand is fantastic. Ask for advice based on your preferences when you arrive and consider a car rental instead of booked tours; siting in the back of a pickup or on a bus isn't the funniest method of touring in our recent humid weather.

If your interested in an Elephant park, the Thai Elephant Conservation Center in Lampang is a well recommended place to veiw Elephants handled more humanely.

Obakhan National Park on the road towards Sanpatong is worth a visit, you could combine that with a trip to the local wood carvers along the same route. A drive over the mountains, stopping frequently at temples and so on, starting from Mae Rim and going towards Samoeng is really nice too. Once at the T junction outside Samoeng, head into the twon and past the market square. Continue along here stopping before the road becomes a track. On the right are two lovely rural temples. Peaceful and gentle.

In the town your visits are confined to some nice temples, lots of street markets and then take a trip along the river by boat. The hot springs at San khampaeng is worth a visit too, but I'd keep your 70-year old away from the jungle canopy experience "Flight of the Gibbon". Beautiful places abound around here. Enjoy!