Non - Im. Visa "B" To Non - Im. "O"

Hi,

being on an non immigrant visa B with a work permit since 1993, my last visa was issued in 1996 and have always been on yearly extention since then without been out of the country. I now plan to stop working and would like to change my visa to an O (I've been married since a little bit over 12 years). Can I change visa at the Phuket Immigration or do I need to get out of the country?

You do not need to change your visa - you just change the reason for your extension of stay. When your work ends your current extension of stay ends - you can obtain a seven day extension from Immigration and make application for one year extension of stay for marriage at that time. Or if ready they may be able to do the same day with no extra extension of stay required. Ask Immigration exactly what paperwork you will require so you have it, and spouse, available.

You don't need to change visa's or leave the country. Instead you change your reason to stay in Thailand from work to staying with your Thai wife.

The last day you work your employer has to send a letter to the labour department to cancel your work permit. Another letter should be handed over to you to cancel your permission to stay. It is just a simple letter informing labour/immigration of the date your employment ended.

Immigration will than cancel your permission to stay, at the same time you submit a request for an extension to stay based on marriage to a Thai wife. Make sure you have all the required documents and evidence of your income or money in the bank.

Non Immigrant ‘O’ Extension Based on Marriage / Documents needed:

Application form T.M. 7 x 2 with one photograph size 4x6 cm.

Visa Fee 1900.-Baht

Copy of passport (with certified true copy ) 2 copy

Marriage Certificate 2 copy (Copy of marriage registration papers (Kor Ror.3)

(Tabian Baan) Wife’s house registration 2 copy

Wife’s identity card 2 copy

Bank guarantee letter, signed by the bank manager, pick it up in the bank 1 day before

An updated Bank Book (updated on the same day as the bank guarantee paper above), showing more than 400.000 (more than 3 month, 2 months if first extension of stay).

OR

Evidence of the male foreigners monthly income of 40,000 Baht.

Embassy letter if originating outside Thailand.

Tax receipts if from within Thailand.

Photos x 3: Include you and your wife in front of the house, then 2 others in/around your house. Bring photos from your wedding as well, it may also be good.

PLUS MAP OF THE HOUSE ADDRESS.

Copy of photo page, visa page and entry/permit to stay stamp page.

Add copy of TM6 departure card. (1 copy is enough) Just sign each copy that is what certification means.

3 to 5 Wife signs all of these and you also sign marriage certificate (it has your name on it).

(only one copy needed)

Need copies of bank book pages also signed. Best to get an update on the day you go to immigration.

Advice:

*Bring all originals you have with you just in case the officer would like to see them

*Don’t forget to take the wife as she will have to complete further form in Thai, to 'back up your story'

*You will first be given an “under consideration stamp” for one month.

The papers have to be sent to BKK.

Return after 30 days and get a stamp for the reminder of the year.

Edited by PoorSucker

Many thanks to all of you.

PoorSucker, what do you mean by copy of passport "with certified true copy", certified by who and how?

Thanks again

Just your signature, or your wife's in case of ID-card, Tabian Bahn.

I just did the extension Application at Bangkok yesterday.

One copy of the documents is sufficient at Bangkok, two photos if you intend to apply for a exit/re-entry permit also.

Your photos should not be more than six months old.

It has been reported that the Affirmation to Marry obtained from your Embassy should be provided also the Form attached to the back of your wifes Wedding Certificate, Kor Ror 2 Form I believe.