Your Top 3 Of All Time, Sporting Moments.

apologies first of all, if this topic has already been done before!

what are your all time top 3 sporting moments? whatever stands out in your mind whilst in your lifetime as something you will look back on and remember in sporting history.

for me being an avid rugby fan, it has to be englands world cup winning victory on australian soil. i will never forget that moment when i saw johnny wilkinsons drop goal fly through the uprights in the second period of extra- time, with less than a minute on the clock.

there had been such a high amount of expectation laid on england, who were the best team in the world at the time. the scenes that followed were without doubt something i will never forget, till the day i die. still brings a rye smile to my face, when i think back to the days after the final. when some jokers decided to super impose the flag of st. george over the sydney opera house.

i will get back to you with my other two, but the wife is threatening to feed my dinner to the dog. if i dont get off the computer wright now. :)

Edited by tigerfish
  • Like 1

apologies first of all, if this topic has already been done before!

what are your all time top 3 sporting moments? whatever stands out in your mind whilst in your lifetime as something you will look back on and remember in sporting history.

for me being and avid rugby fan, it has to be englands world cup winning victory on australian soil. i will never forget that moment when i saw johnny wilkinsons drop goal fly through the uprights in the second period of extra- time, with less than a minute on the clock.

there had been such a high amount of expectation laid on england, who were the best team in the world at the time. the scenes that followed were without doubt something i will never forget, till the day i die. still brings a rye smile to my face, when think back to the days after the final. when some jokers decided to super impose the flag of st. george over the sydney opera house.

i will get back to you with my other two, but the wife is threatening to feed my dinner to the dog. if i dont get off the computer wright now. :)

Thats got to be right up there as a brilliant moment in time,especialy as the ozzies get right up my snotter with their attitude.Winning the world cup in 66 was awesome too,especialy the extra time and the linesmans decision to give a goal after the ball hit the crossbar.Even though i am not scottish i enjoyed Celtic winning the european cup,the first BRITISH team to do it,before man u.

Personaly when Stoke beat Cardiff at their ground to get to the final of the playoffs,has to be one of my best moments in sport,and one of the most deangerous.The tannoy speaker was telling Cardiff fans dont encroach on the playing area,celebrating their win,so amazing,we scored and the game went into extra time and we won.

o.k. thats dinner out the way, but the wifes not to impressed that i am back on the computer. still its thai movie time, so she hasnt really got much of an arguement. seeing as most nights i am subject to the 2 hours or so of dribble that she watches.

anyway my second pick is more of a collection of two great sporting moment, both from the ryder cup.

golf has been my passion ever since i held a club in my hand and took my first swing at the tender age of 5 years of age.

so to see the european side win their first ryder cup at the belfry over the u.s.a since 1957 was a tremendous achievement. the states had for such a long time been the dominent force in world golf and to see sam torrance sink his putt at the 18th to win his match (1 up) and take the cup back to europe under tony jacklins captaincy was something else. i can still remember the scenes on top of the club house as the european side cracked open the champagne, celebrating their victory.

some near 20 years on and the setting was the k-club, the first time the ryder cup had been staged on irish soil.

it sill brings a lump to my throat when i remember back to the time when darren clarke made his way to the first tee, on the first morning. the emotions were so high, him being an irishman playing on home soil, but more so for the fact that he had recently lost his wife to cancer and had taken the decision to participate in the event. i dont think there was a dry eye in the house, so to speak. clarke went on to win all three points in the matches that he played in and europe crushed the americans by a record margin. a truely great victory.

Edited by tigerfish

my third and final choice is the 1981 ashes series between england and australia.

being the son of a yorkshire lass, i was lucky enough to have been taken to the third and pivitol test at headingley by my grandad.

england were already 1-0 down in the series after two tests and the signs looked ominous. especially as botham had just lost the captaincy after a poor run of form and results. things didnt look good early on, but somehow after beefys historic second innings batting performance. the bowling attack managed to skittle the tourists out for 111, some 19 runs shorts of the required 130 runs needed to take a 2-0 series lead. england then went on to take the next test and draw the last, ensuring the ashes stayed in england.

• Like 1

#1 has to be Paul Henderson winning goal in the Canada Russia super series in ice hockey in 1972

#2 being at Old Trafford for England v Greece for world cup qualifying game, seats right behind the

goal for Beckhams winning free kick

#3 Being at the final for Euro 2004 in Lisbon Portugal for Greece over Portugal

Well Paolo Di Canio catching the ball against Everton, when the goalie was injured. Showed true sportsmanship, and was even presented with a trophy for it.

Trevor Brooking scoring the goal in the 1980 FA Cup against Arsenal.

The Great Escape - West Ham beating the odds and not being relegated, but the downside was the Carlos Tevez affair.

from a kiwi perspective.these are pretty memorable imo

Jonah Lomus 3 tries against England in the 1995 Rugby WC semi final, awesome display of speed,power and agility.

NZ winning the 1st RWC, in 1987, sooo long ago

NZ winning the Americas Cup for the first time in 1995, beating the Yanks 5-0

I was going to post in hast but having a day to think about this,, here it is in no particular order:-

--- Witnessing Vale Rossi become 2009 MotoGP champ at Sepang last year. I took my Thai brother in law and he had never been outside Thailand before, never mind be a part of motorcycle racing history. We had seats across from the podium.

--- My first major motorcycle racing event which was in the early 80's at Donnington Park's Transatlantic Challenge. Basically an annual race challenge between the USA and the UK, with the best of the best racers from these countries at the time. Barry Sheene ( at the end of his career but a god), Kenny Roberts (also), Randy Mamola...so many to list. It was only about 60km from my Mum's house. I was that excited that I holed a piston on my X7 on the M1 on the way home with my 10 stone mate on the back. Classic.

--- The promotion of Sheffield United to the premiership in 2006. Alas, the Tevez affair.

My best moment of actually doing a sport event is my first motorcycle race at Mallory Park, on the above mentioned X7. It did'nt hole a piston at this time and I got my knee down, but that's another story.

Good thread :)

Cheers

I was going to post in hast but having a day to think about this,, here it is in no particular order:-

--- Witnessing Vale Rossi become 2009 MotoGP champ at Sepang last year. I took my Thai brother in law and he had never been outside Thailand before, never mind be a part of motorcycle racing history. We had seats across from the podium.

--- My first major motorcycle racing event which was in the early 80's at Donnington Park's Transatlantic Challenge. Basically an annual race challenge between the USA and the UK, with the best of the best racers from these countries at the time. Barry Sheene ( at the end of his career but a god), Kenny Roberts (also), Randy Mamola...so many to list. It was only about 60km from my Mum's house. I was that excited that I holed a piston on my X7 on the M1 on the way home with my 10 stone mate on the back. Classic.

--- The promotion of Sheffield United to the premiership in 2006. Alas, the Tevez affair.

My best moment of actually doing a sport event is my first motorcycle race at Mallory Park, on the above mentioned X7. It did'nt hole a piston at this time and I got my knee down, but that's another story.

Good thread :)

Cheers

Haste even.

Tigerfish, perhaps you could add your top 3 worst of all time sporting moments

i have a few, but wont devulge till the topics posted biggrin.gif

oh without a doubt, on of the worst was seeing that s.pacific islander(wearing an all black shirt) running in 3 tries against us in the world cup in s.africa!biggrin.gif

Nadia Comaneci scoring a perfect 10 in the Olympics

Michael Phelps winning a record number of gold medals in swimming in the Olympics

Pete Sampras winning the US Open to end his career

• 4 weeks later...

Finishing the Badwater 135 mile ultra in 14th place. 41 hrs of non-stop running through Death Valley, California in July.

My proudist moment in sports.

Similar (although yours was harder) is mine;

Finishing 55th place out of 500 runners for the Leadville 100 mile race when i was 51 years old.

Got the belt buckle in 26:39 that year.

I love that sport but cannot get the training in over here. It's just too dam_n hot.

As far as watching others play: I guess Steve Carlton winning the 6th game in 1980 for the Phillies for the "Series"!

Finishing the Badwater 135 mile ultra in 14th place. 41 hrs of non-stop running through Death Valley, California in July.

My proudist moment in sports.

Similar (although yours was harder) is mine;

Finishing 55th place out of 500 runners for the Leadville 100 mile race when i was 51 years old.

Got the belt buckle in 26:39 that year.

I love that sport but cannot get the training in over here. It's just too dam_n hot.

As far as watching others play: I guess Steve Carlton winning the 6th game in 1980 for the Phillies for the "Series"!

:thumbsup: Excellent on your finish at Leadville!

I love running ultra's as well, but managed to tear up the 'ol hoofs after my last one. ( Javelina Jundred in Arizona )

Sure do miss it.... and Ultrarunner mag is way too expensive to have it mailed over here.

Keep hammerin'

1.- CD Tenerife reaching the UEFA cup semi final in 1995. Jupp Heynckes was the team manager.2.- Valentino Rossi winning the Welkom GP in 2004. It was his first race with the Yamaha...what a race!!! 3.- Italy winning the 2006 football WC.P.S - Although it is not a true sporting moment, meeting V.Rossi during the Shanghai GP in 2006 is the best sport related moment of my life.Cheers

My sporting life has always been about Motorcycle Racing, my greatest moments are,,,

1971, Seeing John [mooneyes] Cooper beat Ago at mallory park, aka Race of the year,

and at the time was a pit lane marshall, Percy Tait pulled up on Slippery Sam, [many UK bikers will know this bike] told me to sit on it and keep blipping the throttle while he changed his visor,

1975, Febuary and Sheens big crash at Daytona, i smashed my left femur in May 75, me and some friends were at Brands Hatch, i was on sticks making our way to the bar in the evening, a Rolls royce pulled up beside us, Barry said,what happenedto you mate? i said, same as you, i buggered my femur, got a big nail inside!, ok he said, make your way to the Kent Octagon bar and the drinks are on me!! Johnny Ceccoto was driving the roller,,at the bar a girl exsposed her breasts and Barry wrote Mild & Bitter on them and then kissed them both!! and true to his word, bought all the drinks that evening,he gave us paddock passes as well.

Raceday, i got to chat with my hero, Phil Read, and sat on his 500 MV Agusta, what a tiny bike!!well, compared with my 750 trident at the time,

Had a couple of chats with Carl Fogarty, Villa Real Portugal, and Snetterton uk where he autographed ex wifes foggy replica helmet,,

I think the my best moment was at the Alley Pally Racing and Sporting Motorcycle show, after having a chat with John Renolds,Ron Haslam and Niall Mckenzie,Steve Hislop ect, we were looking at the bikes on the HRC stand, I heard a voice, hello hello hello, i looked round and it was Joey Dunlop, he said, yes you, would you like a cuppa? we went into the caravan, Joey made a cuppa tea, and asked what is my favorite bike, i said im Kawasaki through and through, Joey said, i see you smoke Old Holborn, do you mind if i have a rolly?Turns out that Joey had left his baccy at the hotel, no problem, it was a very interesting chat with a 26 times TT winner, i gave him my baccy pouch on our exit and he was well pleased,,

Joey did charity runs allover eastern europe, van full of clothes food ect and his bike, he died in Estonia in 2002 after a crash in the 250cc race,

RIP Joey [yer maun] Dunlop

That's really hard as there have been so many.

However, here are three.

Attending the 1969 baseball All Star Game

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1969as.shtml

Attending the 1972 Munich Olympics, seeing Mark Spitz swim and also a neighbor compete in gymnastics (left before the terrorist attack)

Following the San Francisco 49ers (Ameri-football) through their crazy run of successful years with Joe Montana as quarterback

Edited by Jingthing

In date order only:-

Sitting in front of a black and white TV in 1966 as a 10 year old boy and hearing Kenneth Wolstenholme say "Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now!"

Like Tigerfish, the 1981 Headingly test.

Wisden have rated Botham's 149 not out in England's 2nd innings as the 4th best of all time, although Dennis Lillee reckons his 118 at Old Trafford was better, and Willis' 8 for 43 in Australia's 2nd innings as the 7th best bowling performance of all time. Thanks to these two men's efforts pride and confidence was restored in English cricket and, as Tigerfish says, England went on to win the Ashes.

One mustn't forget Mike Brearley's contribution. Not worth his place for his batting; but worth his weight in gold and then some for his captaincy!

How I envy you, Tigerfish, actually being there!

Staying with cricket, England winning the T20 world cup in May this year. At long last a one day trophy for England, and that they beat the old enemy to become champions just makes the moment all the more sweeter.

oh without a doubt, on of the worst was seeing that s.pacific islander(wearing an all black shirt) running in 3 tries against us in the world cup in s.africa!biggrin.gif

born in Auckland, New Zealand. Who else should he have been playing for? And he scored four tries in the semi-final v England.

born in Auckland, New Zealand. Who else should he have been playing for? And he scored four tries in the semi-final v England.

Arn't his parents Tongan? Anyways, regardless of that he was truely awesome in that match. I had the gross misfortune of watching it in a bar in Queenstown on the south island. One of those nights when you should have stayed home!!!!

ooh touchy!

it was written with a smile on my face, you know a little jibe at the fact that we got absolutely stuffed. and yes your wright it was four tries!

while we are on the subject though we could mention all the other s. pacific islanders that have worn the famous all blacks shirt. i wont bother though, because like all nations that have national teams somewhere a long the line they have players that represent that country that werent either born or come from the land, but still get to play.

so get off your high horse will yah!

Edited by tigerfish

1. Watching Australia beat Wales at Cardiff Arms Park in the 1984 Grand Slam.

2. Having a beer in the Angel before the game.

3. Getting out alive after the game.

yes i know what you mean about getting out alive.

been to many games between wales and england down in cardiff over the years.

one of the greatest sights, but a little nerve racking is stepping off the train from penarth on international day at cardiff station in an england shirt and seeing just a sea of red welsh jerseys. then walking through the city centre with everyone waiting for the pubs to open at 10.00.a.m. and the echoes of land of my father ringing out around the place. nothing beats it as far as atmosphere goes. just glad that at the time the girlfriend was a welsh lass from swansea, otherwise you knows what kind of trouble i might of gotten into.

Edited by tigerfish

ooh touchy!

it was written with a smile on my face, you know a little jibe at the fact that we got absolutely stuffed. and yes your wright it was four tries!

while we are on the subject though we could mention all the other s. pacific islanders that have worn the famous all blacks shirt. i wont bother though, because like all nations that have national teams somewhere a long the line they have players that represent that country that werent either born or come from the land, but still get to play.

so get off your high horse will yah!

hehe even i said it was 3 tries, of course i meant 4 just to be certain ive found the video :P

lets not get into that slinging match about player origins, and just savor this video, such a beautiful game.........;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN3KuenjmaY

Edited by Donnyboy