England World Cup Discussion Thread

mommysboy

Just heard it from frank lampard's mouth on tv, that wayne rooney is ONE of the best players in the world :cheesy: ,at least franks got a sense of humor::lol:

Rooney has had a very bad tournament (he's not alone in that by the way), but we are talking about four games in his career. Important games yes, but they don't suddenly wipe out all of the other games he's ever played in, in which he has on most occasions been world class.

Rooney had no interest in playing for his country in this World Cup.His attitude was appalling throughout the tournament. You can only call a player 'world class' when he performs on the World stage and he has failed dismally on that front.

I agree Rooney has been off - seems since the no swearing dressing down he got from Capello.

Good news Oldgit, is at least JT doesn't have to worry about having anyone label him World Class.

The players that can be perceived to be world class are top class on AND off the pitch.Now,if this is brewing into a 'our players are better than your players' spat,you're wasting your time.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope that the England squad don't arrive at their homecoming with those trademark dark glasses like those fairies in the Italian squad did.Were they worn to show their LACK of emotion?

i would think most of them will be heading straight off to the beach in dubai. just been listening to terry and lampard's post-match interviews and they don't sound like they think they've done anything wrong.

Rooney had no interest in playing for his country in this World Cup.His attitude was appalling throughout the tournament.

Nah i don't believe this for one minute. Rooney always takes to the field with a burning desire to win that is as strong as anyone's, whether he be in a United shirt or an England one. It's not a case of motivation or willing, it's a case of just suffering a drop in form, combined with being a bit match weary from all the games he has played - plus also things not quite dropping for him. As i said after the Slovenia match, had Gerrard whacked in the lay-off that Rooney presented him with, and had the keeper not got his fingertips to Rooney's shot, he would have had one assist and one goal, and more than likely been man of the match. Yes i know, ifs and maybes, but it shows there's a fine line between success and perceived failure. People are always so quickly to write players off, especially those with a big name. Daft but there you go.

No... the goal that cancels out the 1966 goal, was the goal made by the Dworf Maradonna by his hand. This goal I consider was the absolutely worst I have ever seen in TV. Today with all teqnik. Do like in Hockey or Amerikan fotball or whatever. use a f-ng camera and stop the game and go back and look.

It is far to important these games just to trust a tired linesman out there....Thaipauly.... I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.. but I dont think that you and me saw the very same game yesterday.

How come you go after one single player. And that in a team were NOTHING worked out on the field. Besides that, in my opinion Rooney was not that bad at all. In fact he was the ONLY one in the offensive that managed to receive the ball and keep it. He created by that at least 6 free kicks that mr Lampard spread all over South-Africa....

In my opinion England lack tempo, speed smartness and scill in this game. I do however think that England will raise next time and kick ass in World cup wherever that might be. I sincerely hope however that England will stick to their headcoach and not change again.

And not give Capello same shit treatment that they gave Mr Sven.Goran Eriksson. I at least remember the result between Germany and England that time......Good luck next time guys....

Glegolo

With the exception of your views on sticking with the manager, i completely agree with all your points. Thanks for the wish of good luck. Likewise hope Sweden's fortunes improve. Been a miss this tournament.

the last english manager didn't even get them to euro 2008. fail to see how appointing an inferior manager would immediately improve things. the problems with english football are far, far more deep-set and systemic than the nationality of the manager.

If we are measuring the current manager's success by comparing with the wally with the brolly, i think anyone would have come out looking good. Capello isn't anybody. He's supposed to be the best. He's certainly paid that way. Getting knocked out in the second round means he failed on what he promised. And speaking of promises, he came into the job promising that only in form players who were playing regularly would get picked. He lied.

Beyond the fact that he didn't deliver, i have a problem with the fact that he is foreign. National team managers i don't believe should be. It's contrary to the spirit of what the compeition is all about - one nation pitted against another nation. I don't care if having an English manager takes us backwards, that's our problem. Better to fail with an English manager than to win with one who is not. Just my opinion...

Remember that this team was being extolled as the England team with the best chance of reaching the final for years.

Something went horribly wrong and too many players just did not perform.

I find it hard to be too critical of the manager and I also accept that if we had started the 2nd half at 2 - 2, things might have been different.

It is likely that only 3 or 4 of this team will make the 2014 squad. There has never been a better time to start with a totally clean sheet of paper.

In the meantime we can do without gloating <deleted> like Chonburiram.

Hey,

It's just a game!

:cheesy:

No problem with that - and I wish Germany the best of luck in their last match of the tournament.

The Germans were vastly superior to a mediocre and lacklustre England. Based on what I saw later last night I think the Argentinians put a further layer of perspective on the respective status of the teams.

the last english manager didn't even get them to euro 2008. fail to see how appointing an inferior manager would immediately improve things. the problems with english football are far, far more deep-set and systemic than the nationality of the manager.

If we are measuring the current manager's success by comparing with the wally with the brolly, i think anyone would have come out looking good. Capello isn't anybody. He's supposed to be the best. He's certainly paid that way. Getting knocked out in the second round means he failed on what he promised. And speaking of promises, he came into the job promising that only in form players who were playing regularly would get picked. He lied.

Beyond the fact that he didn't deliver, i have a problem with the fact that he is foreign. National team managers i don't believe should be. It's contrary to the spirit of what the compeition is all about - one nation pitted against another nation. I don't care if having an English manager takes us backwards, that's our problem. Better to fail with an English manager than to win with one who is not. Just my opinion...

england paid top whack for one of the top managers on the planet. he has an impeccable track record and it's not his fault that the players are utterly incapable of the basics of modern football.

england's expectation levels are its biggest problem - they should appoint harry redknapp, have done with it and just accept that they're not, and haven't been for about 40 years, one of the top tier of football nations on the planet. in fact at present they're nowhere near. all the hype about the 'best league in the world' is nothing but marketing fluff.

england paid top whack for one of the top managers on the planet. he has an impeccable track record

Not now he doesn't.

and it's not his fault that the players are utterly incapable of the basics of modern football.

Managers can't take the credit when the team wins but then blame the players when they don't, can they?

england's expectation levels are its biggest problem - they should appoint harry redknapp, have done with it and just accept that they're not, and haven't been for about 40 years, one of the top tier of football nations on the planet. in fact at present they're nowhere near. all the hype about the 'best league in the world' is nothing but marketing fluff.

Going by this World Cup we are a top 16 side. That's somewhere about where i would have put us. All this continual talk from the detractors of us having these amazingly high and unrealistic expectations - of arrogantly thinking highly of ourselves, is a nonsense that results from the way the media pays so much attention to the team.

As far as best league in the world is concerned, i do believe the Premiership most certainly is. Other leagues may have more cream at the very top, but if you look at the league in its entirity, there are none better.

england paid top whack for one of the top managers on the planet. he has an impeccable track record

Not now he doesn't.

and it's not his fault that the players are utterly incapable of the basics of modern football.

Managers can't take the credit when the team wins but then blame the players when they don't, can they?

Going by this World Cup we are a top 16 side. That's somewhere about where i would have put us. All this continual talk from the detractors of us having these amazingly high and unrealistic expectations - of arrogantly thinking highly of ourselves, is a nonsense that results from the way the media pays so much attention to the team.

As far as best league in the world is concerned, i do believe the Premiership most certainly is. Other leagues may have more cream at the very top, but if you look at the league in its entirity, there are none better.

What you are saying is coorect Rix, but you're wasting your time because the detractors will keeping barking on about the same old crap for their own personal enjoyment. Fact is, were slightly too old, definately too burnt out to get to the final stages, technically sub standard and it's going to take maybe eight years to field a decent enough side.

My opinion is that the only fans that had genuine expectations of us winning are the ones that become football enthusiasts once every four years. The rest of us were far more savvy and realistic.

I wasn't talking about the War, if that is what you were insinuating. I was talking about "recent" events of German hooligans in Football.

If they are so well behaved, in 2006 why did Germany have to set up a special task force to deal with violence and racism in German football stadiums? Only about 3 years ago, all German lower league matches were cancelled after about 800 fans attacked 300 police officers. Have you forgotten already about the Germans running riot after a friendly match against Slovenia. Yep, Geman fans are the pillar of the football world and have never started anything !!

Therefore, automatically assuming that it would be England fans who would start any trouble, is still a stupid comment to make. And upto now, I still haven't heard of any trouble following last nights match.

Not wanting to pick on my own side here, but a small group of English idiots could of potentially ruined what was an otherwise excellent crowd at Londoners last night when they decided to start having a go at a lone German supporter celebrating the third goal. Management was very quick to step in however, along with a cop, and kept them segregated through the rest of the game. Dismal and disgusting, but an still an unsurprising part of the average England fan-base.

I wasn't talking about the War, if that is what you were insinuating. I was talking about "recent" events of German hooligans in Football.

If they are so well behaved, in 2006 why did Germany have to set up a special task force to deal with violence and racism in German football stadiums? Only about 3 years ago, all German lower league matches were cancelled after about 800 fans attacked 300 police officers. Have you forgotten already about the Germans running riot after a friendly match against Slovenia. Yep, Geman fans are the pillar of the football world and have never started anything !!

Therefore, automatically assuming that it would be England fans who would start any trouble, is still a stupid comment to make. And upto now, I still haven't heard of any trouble following last nights match.

Not wanting to pick on my own side here, but a small group of English idiots could of potentially ruined what was an otherwise excellent crowd at Londoners last night when they decided to start having a go at a lone German supporter celebrating the third goal. Management was very quick to step in however, along with a cop, and kept them segregated through the rest of the game. Dismal and disgusting, but an still an unsurprising part of the average England fan-base.

Always thought the Londoner was a place for upscale Brits?

BREAKING NEWS FLASH THE NORTH OF ENGLAND IS CURRENTLY UNDER A SEVERE FLOOD WARNING THIS IS DUE TO THE ENTIRE SCOTTISH POPULATION PISSING

THEMSELVES LAUGHING :lol:

Holy moly Jock, don't tell me you have had that one in your drafts folder for 6 months mate?

The myth about Capello being the answer to Englands prayers has certainly imploded. When he announced the squad I was amazed no one took him up on his claim that only players in form and playing regularly would be in the squad. Then the names are read out Heskey, SWP, Joe Cole, spent most of the season on the bench and then Upson,King,Lennon all on the injury list. King cant even train mid week and he's on the plane. .So there's six players who didn't meet his criteria.Was this challenged ? it may have been and I missed it. Capello has 5 million reasons, each season, not to quit. and Ferdinand may well be happy he went home early

england paid top whack for one of the top managers on the planet. he has an impeccable track record and it's not his fault that the players are utterly incapable of the basics of modern football.

He is the same manager no matter what he's paid and at league level a very good one, though its shocking after the Sven era that the FA cant get a manager to take what is one of the most prestigious jobs in world football for 1 million or so, and yes no matter what cr4p they ger off the press and public it still is a top job.

What should England expectations be? ...... before a ball was kicked we've players like J Terry who has been top drawer for years his CV shows this, Ferdinand who would get into any team along with A Cole, Rooney and possibly Gerrard, then Lampard who personally i thinkis over rated but has won Chelsea players of the season several times .... But i dont think many England supporters who know a bit about football thought this team would win the world cup as they couldnt qualify for a tournament recently and in the 6-8 years or so together theyve just not looked like a team, however their expectations were far higher then what the players offered and quite rightly so.

The best chance this team had was 4 years ago when they were all in their prime and in many peoples opinion had the best 11 players, but Sven and petulant Rooney managed to <deleted> that right up.

The Premier League is one of 2 leagues that can put claim to being the best in the world, its not hype its a fact that as a league it makes more money then any other hence they can buy the best players, but undoubtably Barca and Real attract the cream.

Finally did anyone notice Fat Boy Barry try running to defend for the 3rd and 4th goals, <deleted> me it was like he had cement in his boots, he reminded me of a 35 year old 16 stone John Barnes in his final days at Newcastle.

it may have been and I missed it. Capello has 5 million reasons, each season, not to quit. and Ferdinand may well be happy he went home early

It's absolutely unbelievable that he's making some $ 10 million/year and now offered somewhere in the region of GBP 9 to 12 Million by Inter Milan. :blink:

They better think a few millions times before they offer Capello a job who just showed he wasn't able to create a TEAM out of very good individual players.

A man who isn't even able to express himself in proper English.

If Inter hires him he won't make it till the first 3 in the Italian League in 2010/2011 season after Mourinho made Inter European Champions in 2010 <_<

To compare Capello (64) with Mourinho (47) is a joke; the man should retire......and...he will.

Press conference at 1.30PM today local time:

A man of honour would resign, Capello

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1290145/WORLD-CUP-2010-A-man-honour-resign-Capello.html

LaoPo

Amid all the gloom one article on the future England 11 for world cup 2014

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/28/england-new-players-future

Two possible England teams

England 2014 (4-1-3-1-1): Hart; G Johnson, Dawson, Terry, Gibbs; Rodwell; Lennon, Milner, A Johnson; Rooney; Wickham.

England 2014 (4-2-3-1): Hart; G Johnson, Dawson (capt), Richards, A Cole; Rodwell, M Johnson; Walcott, Wilshire, McEachran; Rooney.

England were just plain knackered really, and it won't change until the leagues system does, or someone has the foresight to work in a few second stringers in to the squad, eg, Bullard.

I like this post, but as for the personnel! I doubt we'll see Johnson or Terry again, or not at the finals at any rate. Both are slow and won't get any the quicker. One i9s also a mutionous saboteur of a unt.

Amid all the gloom one article on the future England 11 for world cup 2014

http://www.guardian....-players-future

England 2014 (4-1-3-1-1): Hart; G Johnson, Dawson, Terry, Gibbs; Rodwell; Lennon, Milner, A Johnson; Rooney; Wickham.

A 33 year old Terry for the next WC..........no thank you, he has done enough disasters already. I will call up Richards instead.

still far too many people at large asking the wrong questions here. 'why does england pay £6m to a foreigner only for him to fuc_k it up?'. when the questions should be 'why are there no top class english managers?' and 'if a manager as good as capello can't get this lot to play football, is the problem with the players rather than whoever is the manager?'.