Adding Second Job In Another Province

Has anyone got any experience of adding a second job into a Work permit booklet that is not in the same province as the original ??

My work permit is issued from the one stop centre in BKK, however potential new employer is in Chonburi. Ideally I would want to add my new employer before informing the old one but want to do this cleanly. Given the different provinces I am not sure if this can be done or if its going to be a total disaster and I need to leave the country, whilst waiting for the papers to move from Bangkok to Chonburi.

Any expereince would be most welcome.

Thanks

I do not work currently for a BOI approved company. We use the One Stop Service by virtue of our registered capital which is over 30,000,000 baht. The company I am considering moving to is neither BOI approved or likely to have registered capital in excess of 30,000,000 baht - they do however have sufficient capital and employees to grant another work permit.

Thanks

Do you have personal custody of your blue work permit booklet?

If so, I do not believe that there would be any problem arranging for you to add a second job to that booklet. This could be done at the Minstry of Labor, Work Permit Office.

If you need someone to help set up the processing, my firm could do this - working together with your new employer. Or - your new employer may have their own processing arrangements.

Good luck.

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Do you have personal custody of your blue work permit booklet?

Good luck.

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

B)

Steve,

What did you mean by your quote :- Do you have personal custody of your blue work permit booklet?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am incorrect to say the following:-

B)

If you are an employee “Not Thai of coarse” and your Employer obtains the Blue Book for you, should not that Blue Book be:-

1) Your employers property or yours ?

2) The Blue Book should be at the employees place of work and (not with the employee), if the employee is not at work, how can he be in possession outside of his work place, i.e. (Do you have personal custody of your blue work permit booklet?) Yes, if this is his company, agreed, but if not ?

And then who paid for the Blue Book ?? Employee or Employer ?

Just wondering ? :o:DB)

Thank you for your posts on this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a little one more to add:-

My people told me I can have another job (in the Blue Book) out in the sticks, so to speak (up country), as long as we have an affiliated office there, working for the same company, of coarse. We are not B.O.I. for your info.

Thank you Steve for your time on this one for me.

B)B)B)

Well, let me put it this way - we frequently have custody of other people's work permit booklets for days at a time, as we are processing various types of transactions. They don't have custody, their employers don't have custody - we have the book.

So - in the normal course of things, work permit booklets move around a bit.

I have never had the question satisfactorily answered for me either - when push comes to shove, who has base right to retain custody of the book?

I apply common sense, which is: If the company has exclusive right to the book, then they have virtual slave control over employees - you literally cannot quit!

I know that two jobs can be entered into a book. So - if custody right is reserved for an employer, which employer gets the book? Seemingly obvious answer - neither; the employee keeps it.

So, I suspect that employees have legal right to take custody of their booklets.

But - practically-speaking - if an employer has it locked up in some drawer, it will be pretty tough to get your hands on it covertly, to add another employer.

I know that many foreigners in Thailand do have personal possession of their work permit booklets. If I ever work for a Thai company that I do not own, I will insist upon keeping possession of my work permit booklet. Any time they want to see it, I will bring it to them. But I will retain it.

'Not really an answer. Bottom line - By the time an employer is preventing an employee from having access to their work permit booklet, then it is time to RUN, NOT WALK to the nearest exit. Coercive employment is barbaric, and I can't imagine most westerners tolerating it.

In the event that a Labor Department inspector confronted an employer (a pretty rare occurrence), demanding to see an employee's booklet, it would not be too damaging for an employer to say - "that employee has the booklet out because he needed to show it to open a bank account/credit card/drivers license/whatever" and then have to produce it within a couple of days - and, Labor Department has its own record of each work permit booklet- I don't think they much care about seeing valid work permits. They are more interested in names that DON'T have a work permit, or in seeing expired permits.

Offical line - I don't know the actual legal answer. If I can obtain the correct citation on this issue, I'll post back.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam