World Spirits Competition

Puccini

When I first heard about the 2010 San Francisco World Spirits Competition I thought it was about ghosts and wanted to find out how the Thai spirits fared in this contest. My research immediately showed that I was wrong. It was an evaluation of beverages with a strong alcohol content, and surprisingly a Vodka produced in England, Chase Vodka, won the first prize in that category:

www.sfspiritscomp.com/pdfs/2010SpiritsResultsbyClass.pdf

Further research revealed that this prized -- and pricey -- vodka is made from potatoes and production started only two years ago:

www.traveldealsreview.net/travel-vacations/vodka-from-english-crispmakers-farm-voted-best-in-the-world.html

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3010090/English-vodka-is-best-in-world.html

Apparently no Thai spirit won any prize but now that I know what brand is the world's best vodka I wonder if Chase Vodka has found its way to the shores of Thailand, whether it is sold in any supermarket or served in any bar or restaurant in Bangkok. My limited Internet research skills failed to find an answer to this question.

chase-280_1062978a.jpg

Best ... English vodka tops international taste test

I have done Thailand an injustice. A Thai spirit did win a prize:

Class: Other Sugar Cane Based Spirits

Bronze Medal, Mekhong The Spirit of Thailand Mekhong, Thailand [35%] $24. Importer: Mekhong The Spirit of Thailand - NY, NY

Congratulations!

case-l.jpg?1276055122

I have done Thailand an injustice. A Thai spirit did win a prize:

Class: Other Sugar Cane Based Spirits

Bronze Medal, Mekhong The Spirit of Thailand Mekhong, Thailand [35%] $24. Importer: Mekhong The Spirit of Thailand - NY, NY

Congratulations!

case-l.jpg?1276055122

The only thing that I ever found a bottle of Mekhong good for was a door stop:bah:.